1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Sharpens their chainsaw chains?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Mar 7, 2020.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Well both
    I live out in the sticks so it's kind of a pain to drive 30 minutes to drop chains off, drive 30 minutes back home, wait 2-3 days for the place to call that they are ready and do the drive again. Last time they did the chains instead of grinding just a little bit of the tooth, they took a whole grinding wheel width off.
    I cut about 35 facecord a year for heating my house so it's somewhat of an investment the way I look at it
    Saw is a Stihl MS361 with an 18" bar

K51000 likes this.
  2. Depends on how much I need to sharpen. If I hit a rock or ground dremel with FRESH correct size stones. Touch ups a file. I’ve been doing it long enough I go by eye/ feel. As said previous posts, KEEP IT SHARP. It’s safer, easier to touch up and better for your saw.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Stihl yellow link if you wanna tear shit up and green link if you want to play it safe. I personally use the lower model Oregon bench sharpener. I sharpen at 30* and have found its a good balance between good cutting and long lasting. If I sharpen a chain at 35* it will tear shit up for a bit and then it’s dull.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

5. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I use the Harbor Freight electric one, just sharpen a chain now and then, but I'm not good with a file. The HF electric and the Northern Tool one both use the same principal as the one I used a lot as a teenager 60 years ago, it just didn't have any plastic parts.

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Those safety chains don't cut for shit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Oh, well, all's good then. I definitely see the logic. Sounds like you're livin' large, and your garage gets its own man card. :D
    :bow:

GRH and K51000 like this.
  8. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have the Harbor freight electric sharpener....

yeah, I fucked up a blade or 2 with that thing. I just buy new chains now

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Is it that much better than the HF variant?!?!? Ever try that one? I bought one yrs ago, still in it's box.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I just freshen up the chain with a file before a days work. I have a lot of pepper-tree scrub that I've been slowly clearing over the years and a good sharp chain will do through them like butter.

Next on the list are some pesky pine trees that are choking out grass growth. I just have a basic Home Depot version Husqvarna Rancher and it does a fantastic job.

11. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I use a file just about every time I take the chainsaw out. Takes some time to learn but once comfortable it only takes couple minutes to sharpen up a chain.

K51000 likes this.
  12. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I’ve used the little Dremel attachment. Works pretty good if you are careful with the angle. Faster than a file.

K51000 likes this.
  13. Funny reading this today. Was too lazy to touch up a chain on my good saw as I was helping out my neighbor who had a tree fall (part of it in his yard but not damaging anything). Threw a new chain on it as my rotation of sharpened chains is out.

K51000 likes this.
  14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

It's way better!! just kidding, I have no idea, I've had it for so long I forgot what I paid, definitely not that price

XFBO likes this.
  15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

funny i'm coming across this thread today as i'm in this situation yesterday. bought used chainsaw last summer. no idea how old the chain is. i have a sharpening file. my chain got super dull after cutting some oak yesterday and was just spitting powder. the chain is stretched out to almost it's max, so i'm going to pony up the $25 for another chain, than deal with sharping it.

K51000 likes this.
  16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

iagsxr and K51000 like this.
  17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

:bow:35 face cords a year?! :clap: :bow::bow::bow:

Thank you all for your excellent responses!
    Now bring the Dungeon back!

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

35 face cords is about 8 real cords. 4 by 4 by 8 stacked so the chipmunk can get through it but the cat chasing it can't.

K51000 likes this.
  19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I knew what a face cord is, STILL a lot of wood for personal use!!

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

It's a
    It's all relative. Igo through 10 full cords in a cold year. This year maybe 6 cords. I'm over stocked in firewood with all the dead ash trees.

K51000 likes this.