1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrolyte, Hydration tablets anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by scorpion-ninja, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

So it flashes your ECU for extra revs. Hell yeah.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:crackup:

3. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Get ‘em at Walmart for $1. Lots of different flavors B1139C62-EE96-4B6F-B4FA-4CEEEED1D843.jpeg

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

some years back i was struggling during race weekends. Wanted to have lunch, but a sandwich just made me want to sleep. Some power bars were ok, but still found this lacking. Fernando Silva was using the ryno power products and turned me on to this lineup, and it's been great. Especially since i'm doing more offroad racing that are 2+ hours.. and i ride woods almost daily..
    2 scoops vanilla protien and 2 scoops carb fuel in a shaker of water for lunch. couple of their electrolyte tabs, often a "motivation" tab too (some caffeine but other natural stuff to get you focused).
    For offroad ill do a protein/carb shake before the race, some carb fuel powder in my hydration pack with some diluted gatoraid (some other stuff has upset my stomach), motoviation tab, couple electrolyte tabs, and good to go.

ryno power has a lot of stuff, but this is all i take currently. Billy Sharff, local open-A offroad racer, sells it and gives decent discounts.
    [email protected]
    as others eluded to, gotta start with being in decent shape and proper hydration.

5. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

I use liquid IV. Great for hangovers too!

6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I have a MS in Exercise Phys.
    Unless you're 16y/o, that HR is seems too high unless you're doing some serious intensity activities.
    I'll assume you're in good Cardio/vascular fitness condition then?
    YOU may just be a hard working, lean ,mean fighting machine, I dunno.

There is that Max heart rate formula= 220bpm - your age in years.
    Maybe you are a young, lean, mean, fighting machine! :bow:

For reference, when I work out with my master swim team, my HR stays about 120-145bpm. I'm 59 y/o.

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Hangovers? Having a few more drinks/beers helps too! :Poke:

t11ravis likes this.
  8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

The older you get the less that formula means. I see 170 quite regularly on my normal zone 3 training runs/rides. Turning 50 in 6 mos.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I had been using these too but just recently actually read the ingredients list - they are effectively nothing but Gatorade-brand gummy bears. No electrolytes, and only a touch of caffeine if you get the "energy" ones.

Useless. Big thumbs down.

10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

+1 for tailwind and I also use HEED. Both are easy on my stomach. Definitely try it first and got for a long run before trying it at a track day.

ekraft84 likes this.
  11. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

The basic chews include sodium and potassium, 2 of the 5 electrolytes.

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Skratch all the way. Shit works awesome for me.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The choice of champions.

[​IMG]

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, when I was racing bicycles in my 20's it was common to keep my HR about 180 for long periods during a race or hard climbing ride, went well over 200 all the time in Crits so the 220 minus my age didn't work for me, still doesn't. .Resting Hr was in the 40's too. I'll be 60 this month, swimming doesn't seem to get my HR up, swimming 100's on 1:30 for 1K will have it between 130/140. When I did the death ride last year I averaged 155/160 on the climbs and maxed at just over 170, the more I ride the higher it seems to get since I started riding again. I only did three passes, about 35 miles of hard climbing for the day, overall was 85 miles and just over 10K of climbing. I was pretty pleased since I'd just started riding again in December

TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i use Nuun has a hangover fix. but they are mostly useless for me if im exercising because theres no calories. weakness during exercise can be lack of hydration, electrolytes, or calories. more often than not, someone asking about tablets is lacking calories too.

ive been using GU Roctane for a few years now with good results, both at the track and with cycling. however, ive noticed some benefit to taking SaltStick pills mid-ride, so i suspect that the electrolytes in Roctane just werent high enough. And of course when i check, its also missing Mg, Ca, and Cl. i just rode this morning and swapped in 1 bottle of GQ-6 Hydration. it has fewer calories but significantly more of all 5 electrolytes. this first ride went really well with that change, so i'll be using GQ-6 all the time now.

https://guenergy.com/products/roctane-energy-drink-mix
    https://www.gq-6.com/products/3-2-1-hydration-base

years ago, i felt a huge difference in recovery due to BCAAs. i wont use a mix without them. so no Scratch or Hammer for me.

16. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

look up osmo nutrition, good stuff, a lot of cyclists use it, i used it when racing cars (some porsche guys use it also).

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Tried the NUUN tabs this weekend. I like them. I prefer Pedialyte packets still, but that stuff is super expensive as Pedialyte doesn’t do bulk packaging. NUUN might be the solution for me.

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I get the NUUN tabs at the local Safeway too.

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

ZipFizz is great. They sponsored me for a season and I had been using their stuff before and since then, after. Very good stuff.

I liked it better than 5-hour because it wasn't such an intense hit, but more natural. Plenty of vitamins as well, to prevent getting sick. I still have 2-3 a week, depending on how I feel. The only downside for me, was peeing a lot if I had other supplements, as your body can only process so much, without peeing the rest out.

damiankelly likes this.
  20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Once you start digging deep, you see how sugars are bad and a lot of these Gatorade products have added sugars, carbs and just unnecessary stuff.

The Nuun stuff is good, as is the Hammer stuff. Also as mentioned, knowing how your body and fitness are, helps a lot.