1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for a 4th Gen R6 Racebike

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 647, Mar 2, 2020.

1. 647

647 Well-Known Member

@metricdevilmoto good idea about a single banjo at the top. I'm sure that there are multiple configurations available for this machine. I am not used to having a bike where there are ready made parts for everything :).

Also, thanks for the info on the damper mount. I think I'm going to just buy the ignition key delete electronics and get the graves bracket and the Ohlins damper. I saw this one, https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/produ...h-elimination-harness-assembly?gfid=p250-c419, any reason not to use this one, or is there a better option.

2. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Interesting about all of the up-votes for the Yosh . . . I had always associated Yosh exhaust with Suzukis but I guess things change.

ekraft84 likes this.
  3. 647

647 Well-Known Member

@MELK-MAN and @Wheel Bearing thanks for the referral to Bauce Racing. So, how does that work? You send them the ECU with the specs of the pipe and the air filter you are using? They just flash it and send it back to you, no dyno time? Did you guys upgrade to a widebankd O2 sensor or just use the stock electronics and hardware plus a pipe and ECU flash?

@MELK-MAN thanks for the info on the slipper clutch. Yeah, sounds like it would be pretty awesome to dial in the engine braking without having to take it apart.

4. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I have no idea how you could ride without them. I've used stomp grip previously and really liked them. Good idea about the surfboard tail pad.

I'll have to add the quick turn throttle to the list for later this year, but definitely a good idea :)

5. 647

647 Well-Known Member

@MELK-MAN @stangmx13 I am also dubious that the Sharkskinz lower will fit with the full OEM exhaust.

@ekraft84 can you confirm whether or not I will be able to run it without the lower on until I can get a pipe and ECU flash? From the photos on the Sharkskinz site it isn't clear if the upper requires bolting onto the lower to hold everything together.

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've never had a reputable tuner lead me to getting a dyno tune for a bike running pump gas, with one of them telling me straight up that it'd be a waste of money. I appreciated the honesty, as doing dyno's is one of the services he does. Race fuel or dual mapping...yep, that's dyno territory.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Before the 4th gen, Yosh only really made a slip-on for the R6. They changed that with the latest edition. Full race system with plenty of R&D behind it.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Run the Shark upper without the lower attached? Yes, you can do that.

9. 647

647 Well-Known Member

@Wheel Bearing, awesome, great to know thanks. So then I can simplify this altogether by just deciding on a pipe and then sending the ECU out to get flashed as I'm only going to run pump gas and don't have any plans for any other engine mods.

Thanks!

10. 647

647 Well-Known Member

OK, awesome. I'd only be doing that on the first outting or two, track days, just to get the motor broken in and get the suspension dialed in.

And @ekraft84 thanks for the extra info on the pipe :)

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Motor broken in? Get a few heat cycles into that stock motor - and then seat those rings! :)

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Yeah, right now it has 1 mile on it. I didn't bother spending the money to get a tag for it so I haven't yet ridden it. That was the plan . . . run it for three or so heat cycles, change the oil, and then just run it . . . .
    I figured that running it with the stock induction and exhaust system to break it in was best . . . then get a pipe and ECU flash, unless anyone has another approach to suggest.

13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Easiest thing to do is go to his website and fill out the form with what you want. Once you decide on whatever air filter/exhaust/etc setup that you're going to do, he can flash it for you and call it a day. Mine took about a week, from the time I mailed it out to I got it back in the mail. Like you, I'm not changing anything on the bike for some time, so I'm not running a PCV as everything is flashed to the ECU.

14. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Has anyone worked with MRP before? Any feedback on their quality of service?

15. 2MM

2MM Well-Known Member

I’d consider giving Metric Devil Moto your business; seeing as he’s contributed to your questions. Just my 2 cents.

16. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

17. 647

647 Well-Known Member

I guess I didn't look at @metricdevilmoto 's signature close enough, or follow any of the links to notice that he's a vendor that provides those services. Thanks for pointing that out :)

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Thanks for the tag. Wasn't necessarily fishing for business, just answering questions. You can reach me directly at [email protected] with any questions. We've prepped quite a few R6s over the years.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If I were up in that area I would go to Mike, just based on his knowledge and how I see him act on here. He will joke around but seems to be a no BS kinda guy in regards to tires, suspension, etc. I'm a straight shooter and don't sugercoat stuff and that's what I prefer.

Regarding @Wheel Bearing comment about reputable tuners not dynoing for pump gas, I wonder about that because I don't think it would be wrong to tune it for pump? When we ran AMA with the Sunoco gas, we had it tuned for Sunoco and would run pump gas at local races. So I guess it wasn't tuned for pump, but they were so similar I was told we didn't need to remap for pump and that in their experience we would make slightly more power on the pump gas? I can tell you for sure my son thought having a map made with pump/sunoco the bike performed better than it did without the map.

Technically Wheel is right, the map was for Sunoco. If we were only club racing I would have still had it mapped on a dyno and I wasn't going to pay for the expensive stuff, Tyler could just ride harder if he was up against guys on MR-12. Now if my fat old a.. was riding, maybe I would need to have the crutch of liquid horsepower, but even then I don't think I could justify it.

20. 647

647 Well-Known Member

LOL, nothing wrong with "fishing" for business at all :) Man's gotta pay his bills! I'll send you an e-mail with what I'm looking to do in detail . . . Thanks!