1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Into the Wild bus

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Feb 25, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I don't think being an unprepared and inexperienced "hiker" trying to relive a movie moment is on any level towards being a hobby.

Stoopid yes.
    Hobby not so much.

You just can't unload a bike and grid up for a MA race.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Banditracer and cav115 like this.
  2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

So you`re saying the hippies are zombies, driving them F`n busses, following the sun??:D

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

all y'all wanting to move it or blow it are missing the point.

Step 1. advertise free granola and free range tofu is being served at the bus and Phish is playing a free concert (well it would have to be free since hippies dont have any money)
    Step 2. Hippies come by the van laod
    Step 3. Hippies die int wild cause there is no free granola or tofu and they are too poor and stoopid to have brought their own food.
    Step 4. Hippy population dwindles

cav115 likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You ever been to or seen a video on a Gratefully Dead concert? :D

I have no idea how they got to the DS of the moon but how do hippies manage to get any place? You look away for a minute and <poof> there are 14 hippies suddenly there kicking around a hacky sack, smoking the pot and listening to really shitty music.

joec and cav115 like this.
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Step 5. Bears get fed, and indigestion.

6. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary a while back on this and if I remember it correctly, originally an author wrote an article on Chris McCandless (guy who died in bus) for Outside Magazine, then he turned it into a book which Sean Penn then made a movie out of.
    When McCandless tried to leave and found the river was impassable, there was a cable crossing and cart less than a mile away that he didnt know about but its been removed since.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dude, that was a joke. Didn't you see how he answered it? :D

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't disagree. If only the comment didn't come from a Ramones fan....

:D

Knotcher and Fencer like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's easy, part of what racers pay us for and we then pay for is having rescue personnel and ambulances on standby right there where they are racing. No need to call someone in on the taxpayers dime to help out if something goes wrong. No to mention part of the fees go to insurance as well.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

There is no darkside of the moon, actually it's all dark.

:D

terminus est likes this.
  11. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

cav115 and Banditracer like this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This is the part I'm torn on.

On one hand, totally agree.

On the other, this is stuff that I, personally, don't mind my taxes going towards.

And truth be told, those doing the rescuing, probably not only don't mind it, but probably enjoy it. I can absolutely see myself enjoying the rush. Hell, I get excited on the job site when the shit hits the fan and I'm painted into a corner. But, YMMV.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't disagree, the entire point of the rescue folks is to help those who get in trouble during bad weather and the like.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Theres a difference between getting caught in bad weather, hurt, etc and just heading off into the wilds of Alaska wearing some birkenstocks, cargo shorts and carrying a slim jim as supplies. The former deserve the rescue efforts of those involved. The latter...well stoopid should hurt....and bears need food too...

Banditracer likes this.
  15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Most rescue teams are comprised of mostly of volunteers. SAR folks are not the normal fire department guys. Also,a lot of SAR teams rely heavily upon donations to operate. There are some who receive some governmental funds for equipment, but the rescuers themselves are not paid.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My girlfriend is SAR.
    She will send me pictures of a rescue of a flooded area with cars still trying to drive into the water covered road with a rescue taking place in front of them with only the roof showing ( you know, flashing lights, barricades etc, but they have to get Billy to ball practice at 5).

Sometimes, we should let Darwin work.

17. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Air lift that sucker to a town with social amenities and help their economy up there.
    Leave it where it is and build more access to it and you're enabling the "stupid" already affiliated with it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Crush it and sell it to a scrapyard.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

Run the vin and fine who ever the last registered owner is like any other abandoned vehicle.. When they don't pay, suspend thier license and registration and pile on the storage fees. Sar paid, bus gone, lesson learned.

Of course unless that owner is dead. Which....moot.

badmoon692008 likes this.