1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC Coverage of MotoGp and World Superbike

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 25, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

For all who think NBC having racing on is good for the sport. Please explain to me how if I can’t find it easily and it’s not being advertised is that better. Where do I see advertising for the races to let me know about if I don’t know anything about racing? How is this supposed to go mainstream if there isn't advertising to the public? BTW it took me a good 5 minutes of searching different keywords to find the actual program on my TV channel. I’m a sports fan. I watch NBC sports all the time. No ads about the start of the season, no mentions of the new content. Crickets.

Here come the people who are going to say just buy the subscription online... yea yea yea... I will because I'm a motorcycle racing enthusiast but that doesn't help grow the sport and get new people interested in it that know nothing about motorcycle racing.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/02/a...dhQ_0gBC_lZ6xHbRcdU_30fdm-p6ZHV_6E6KZB4XujngY

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

WSB is still on BEIN

edit- just looked at the link; interesting that WSB's own site lists BEIN still

4. dusty04

dusty04 Member

I have sling tv with bein and I don’t see any slot for wsbk this weekend. Nbcsn has MotoGP for an hour and a half on Sunday for race coverage only. This is pretty disappointing as I could watch wsbk and gp quali/race and all classes for $10 a month on sling

noles19 likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Looks like NBCSN only has 1.5 hours of coverage for the whole WSBK weekend tape delayed on Monday evening (6pm eastern). I am glad I spent the money on the pass.

cav115 likes this.
  6. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

The info on Beins site is from 2019, nothing for 2020.

I canceled sling this morning and bought WSB pass.

Attached Files:

cav115 likes this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

The pass is the way to go.

8. dusty04

dusty04 Member

Don’t really want to spend over 200 to watch both but that looks like the only way to go.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Guys I get that we can buy the pass. That's for the motorcycle enthusiasts that we are... What about growing the sport? What about the casual fan or would be fan that doesn't know shit about the sport?

Eddie Kraft, I saw your post before you deleted it. Supercross has the fan base in the States just like Nascar. Road Racing does not.

cav115 likes this.
  10. dusty04

dusty04 Member

I think the nbc coverage is a good idea but I wish they’d do full coverage like supercross. They definitely need some advertisement like some commercials of something.

11. eppy01f4i

I bought motoamerica+ and WSB pass, we have NBCSN on cable so I'll record those races and stay off social media till I watch them.

A large part of the MotoGP races are during the day or evenings, only a hand full are early mornings.
    Some even follow Nascar races so there is potential to pick up new fans there.

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Airing on the real-life equivalent of the Obscure Sports Quarterly channel isn't going to grow the sport, either.

We'd need the equivalent of a RedBull TV that's free to watch on YT or another similar platform to have any hope of engaging a younger audience. That, along with a massive increase in the amount of kart tracks open to mini motos and a marketing push from Dainese and A* on the safety of their airbag vests would maybe help to bring in some of the kids who ordinarily would go the motocross route.

13. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

How much does the pass cost?

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

About $76.

15. eppy01f4i

WSB - $79.95

Moto A live + was $55.00 on presale, but you get 50% off general admission tickets to selected races so it covers a two-day ticket for the Barber round I'm going to.

Sling was around $60.00 a year.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Save this link to your favorites and check it when you want to know.

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 9.43.12 AM.png

evakat and cav115 like this.
  17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bank on the MotoGP race being on at that time. There's a big Premier League soccer match being played at that time and I think I know which one NBCSN will show. However they do sometimes switch the soccer to the regular NBC channel.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So Bein no longer has WSBK or MotoGP ? If that's the case I'll be trimming my Dish bill, that was the only reason we were paying for whatever package I had to buy to get it.

19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Will it be on the nbc sports app I wonder? I use it for SX and it works pretty good.

20. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I think there's a huge gap in what can be provided for free that can keep interest up/attendance rolling in. F1 has legitimately good recaps with actual content of all practice sessions, qualifying, and races up on YouTube within hours, while MotoGP does some bullshit two minute video of flashing between 2 second clips that would give most people a seizure. They truly suck on the media front.

I won't even pretend to know how large TV contracts work out vs. individuals buying subscriptions, but the way that cable cutting has taken hold, I'm betting nobody is going to pay big money for continually declining viewerbase. The niche stuff is going to need more free content to support the growth, seems like not enough people understand that at this point. Hell, even the NFL has solid game recaps for those who can't catch it live.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020