1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

physics poll: counter-steering

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Feb 23, 2020.

?

main reason counter-steering works

This poll will close on Feb 23, 2030 at 3:11 AM.
  1. torque-induced gyroscopic precession

2. inertia

3. Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

i like this one.

Isn't there a tractor involved in this scenario somewhere though? 'Cz give me a tractor and a freshly planted corn field, and I could answer this question. LOL

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I get it...

Both. It is both inertia of the bike and gyroscopic procession. Gyroscopic progression coming more into play as the speed of the bike increases.

Come to think of it, the whole gyroscopic stability and progression thing might explain why in some more in depth tests of carbon fiber wheels, they have described some increased instability with the lighter wheel at high speeds at certain point on track...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

whoa... did you just spend $2.45 for $1 worth of traction? lol

Gino230 likes this.
  4. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

You really need to read chapter 4 in Foale's book.

I'll wait for the first vote. In any case "This poll will close on Feb 23, 2030 at 10:11 AM" :D

JCW likes this.
  5. #1StreetRacer

#1StreetRacer Active Member

Question? I'm riding with no hands and I lean into a turn at 50mph, what is my front wheel doing? Pointed to the inside of the turn right? I've tried to watch it but I can't tell nor do I have the instruments to detect it. Thanks

6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

OK, read it...

what I found most interesting is the interconnection of the roll axis angular velocity and steering axis torque. I never took into consideration what is happening in your hands on the bars and around the steering axis. Fascinating, really.
    I see the mention of lighter wheels in his discussion and his mathematical/computer simulation reasoning behind the lower effort at the bars required basically due to the lower gyroscopic torque.

As far as the answer to your question, it seems that based on his computer generated models, gyroscopic progression plays little in establishing roll angle velocity due to the minimal steering angles achieved during normal cornering (1-2 degrees). Interestingly, gyroscopic progression of the rolling motorbike DOES effect the torque around the steering axis and thus the needed rider balancing input at the bars... Cool.

I've been meaning to buy his suspension simulation software just for shits and giggles. I should get around to doing it...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Foale mentions this directly in the chapter referenced above. He runs a simulation where center of mass is moved 50mm in 0.15sec. He says that the bike behaves the same way hands off as hands on, but instead of rider induced torque around the steering axis causing the bike to lean, a body lean into the corner causes an initial bike lean in the opposite direction. this will steer the wheels OUT and basically you have the same thing happening in the countersteering example now. He states this happens "far too sluggish to be of any practical use in the absence of normal handlebar steering."

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Some things are easier to accept than explain. Why ask why? Just be glad it works.

turner38, Banditracer and SGVRider like this.
  9. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

Ra.Ge. Raptor and JCW like this.
  10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

The end of chapter 4 is an absolute avalanche of information...

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The only important part is where he shows that force applied to a spinning gyro results in opposite torque 90 degrees along the axis of rotation.

I don't really care about the science, I'm just happy it works.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

It's simple physics.

13. The wheel likely turn outwards (as if countersteering) intially, but yes...once the bike starts turning, the wheel is pointed in.

Danny Walker does a demonstration of this at his American Supercamp (awesome school, if you haven’t done it...me and Eddie had a ton of fun there).

You can countersteer, and the bike will lean...but the bike doesn’t actually turn (change directions), until the wheel points into the corner. He also has videos that illustrate this. Dude
    Countersteers his ass off, the bike leans, but continues to go straight until the wheel points into the corner.

Look at every single picture of someone in the middle of a corner, club race to MotoGP, and you will see the wheel pointing into the corner.

The only exception is when someone is countersteering as the back wheel is spinning (aka “steering with the rear”).

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Please change this guy's name to "Bingo Einstein". :crackup:

15. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Here's another interesting video about rotating objects.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

And a change of skivies.

17. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Quoting Foale:

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

And interestingly, this counter-counter steering effect, turning the wheel back into the corner to change in direction (induce yaw rather than roll), basically occurs due to the gyroscopic progression of the bike around the roll axis and is very significant. In other words, you don't actually reverse force on the bars to turn the bike inward, rather you just ease up on the countersteering pressure around the steering axis and let the bike's own self stabilizing mechanism (gyroscopic precession) turn the wheel.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  19. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Are you sure inertia is the term you want to use? Just like centrifugal force, inertia is more an imaginery force that one appears to experience in a moving frame of reference.
    Really, it's the tire force from the countersteering effort that applies a torque that initiates the roll.

:p

And for a correction of my own, I have been calling it gyroscopic progression, when it should be precession.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  20. Ra.Ge. Raptor

What would happen to a motorcycle with 0° angle of trail?