1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great stories guys!

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Back in 2004, somebody bought a shit ton of property all over Daytona. In our neighborhood, they bought the Shamrock, the Esquire, the Sailmaker and the Thunderbird. They also bought the Sea Dunes, but they did something that pissed off Mike, the owner. He got out of the sale and then took them to court because the Esquire was condemned after the hurricane, and it because a homeless crack house. It took ten years, but they finally threw in the towel. Then the Russians came in. They've been building for a few years now, but we're still there, right in the middle of things! In the second picture, you can see to the left of the Sea Dunes the bus from Nebraska that hs been coming down for decades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Johnny b. Do you live in Daytona? I was there from 99 to 2010

4. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Is the shark lounge still there? its been awhile since I visited Daytona ..

5. Johnny B

No, I'm in Massachusetts. I went to the ROC from 1987 to 2009 and have been going to Bike Week since 1989. I found the Holiday Inn after a couple of years, then moved over to the Sea Dunes in 1998 when the other place was switching to time share.

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. Johnny B

I think so. They got in trouble (again) when one of the girls did something inappropriate to an undercover cop. In the newspaper article, the exasperated owner said it would be less aggravating to change the place into a gay bar.

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Simon Corsi? he was flying by me at the starts. dude was an animal on starts

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Mustve paid Wilkens for some starting advice ;)

JJJerry likes this.
  9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Ah spring break stories. I only did one to a beach destination, all others were snowboarding in big mountains and were all about being out there.

Now for the beach trip- one guys parents rented a house in Myrtle Beach, SC. They may as well just tore it down and started over when we left. I was a partier but not someone to destroy others property so I didn’t partake in throwing chairs off the third floor into the pool or crashing the golf cart. I may have done a few high fives into the pool, or a few 2 story beer bongs.

One memory:
    I was in the second group to arrive, we were coming from Fredericksburg, VA others from SC, Georgia and Florida. Upon walking in the door a knife goes from right to left across the room and sticks into the wall. The guys took aerosol cans and sprayed circles like a bullseye on the wall and lit it on fire. Below it out and Voila we have a throwing knife dart board.

this was just the beginning of the week...

10. Johnny B

When 400 N. Atlantic Ave. started converting to time shares, I had to look for a new place. I got brochures from the Esquire and Thunderbird. As I was walking past the Sea Dunes, I spotted somebody at the front door. It was Mike, the owner. I asked if rooms were available. (They're actually more like small apartments.) He told me that there was a waiting list, and that some people had waited up to seven years to get into the place. Once in, you were permanent. He told me to call a couple of weeks before Biketoberfest to see if a room was available.
    In September I called. I got an answering machine so I left a message. Mike called back an hour later and the first thing he asked was, "Are you sure that's the right date that you're coming?" I told him yes.
    In the summer of 1998 they had those wildfires in Florida. They came pretty close to Daytona, so the NASCAR race scheduled for the 4th of July weekend was postponed to October. Biketoberfest 1998 was pushed back a week, but since it takes a couple of weeks to get the infield cleaned up after a Cup race, the ROC was postponed two weeks.
    Mike said there was a room available. Actually I was the only one in the whole place that weekend. Mike was happy with me, so he moved me to the front of the waiting list for Bike Week 1999. I got the call in February that there was an opening, and I joined the family!
    Coming into 2020, they're charging me the same price that I paid in 1999.

11. Gino230

I first went to bike week in '95 and saw the club racing going on, then came back for the SS race, which I believe Jamie James won. That was when we were just learning to ride street bikes and we stayed at one of those dumpy motels on the beach.

I came back to race probably in '05, and have been back every October and March since then. Ironically, the only time I've been to the beach is that year in '95. I keep saying I'm going to take the Grom down there one of these days, but I never do.

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I learned that one daytona it’s highly frowned upon on an off night to have xr100 nationals on the perfectly smooth beach at 2am.

Gino230 likes this.
  13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Johnny, you've beaten my parents' streak of 30 years; 1972-2001. 1971 we were in Germany.

My dad's first year was 1948. I still have the program.

14. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Danm did he ever... did one or two races with him also and damn !!!!

15. Johnny B

And I've been to every Laconia/Loudon Classic since 1981. (39 years.) I went from being an animal to being an official. ;)

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I spoke to my friend with Yves bike and he still has it! Anyway he helped me with some details. He said that they wanted to run the race on Monday but they couldn't because the track was still too underwater. So they postponed it to Saturday as mentioned before and Yves finished 4th. I searched the interwebs and couldn't anything on the race results anywhere. Maybe if JU sees this thread he'll add in some info.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

19. Gino230

I was planning on blowing off Daytona for the first time in many years, but thanks to this thread I blew $750 in entry fees and camping spot. Thanks, WERA. Just for that, I'm not going to WERA Roebling now.

20. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I just tonight noticed your name added to the list. Good luck dude. We now have a least 3 beeb regulars entered, or is it more?