1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon wheel, only front no rear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by heyarthur, Feb 19, 2020.

1. heyarthur

heyarthur Member

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get a front carbon wheel for my R6 for quite cheap. But I won't get a rear carbon wheel.

Will I see improvements with only the front? Or will it make the bike unstable?

Thanks!

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I imagine that it'd be a little less than half the improvement of getting carbon on both ends.

3. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

Can u use tire warmers with carbon rims? Some say yes some no. If you cant use tire warmers with carbon rims just heating the rear is going to be problematic. Or not using any warmers can be problematic as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It's a "special snowflake" item.

Probably has to be inspected periodically to ensure it's still structurally sound, which could mean having it X-Rayed or some other expensive process.

And there's a chance it gets messed up by Joe Tire changer.

Just spitballing possible hazards of ownership that negate the thrill of owning such an exotic piece of hardware.

K51000 likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

If you can't use warmers then you probably shouldn't ride the bike either. Warmers bring the tires up to riding temp, meaning same temp they will get to naturally. I don't understand how anyone would say you can't use them.

Boman Forklift and TurboBlew like this.
  6. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

Some say carbon rims cant take the heat provided by hi temp setting on the warmers. They claim carbon is not made to get that hot. I don't know for sure. I rather prefer mag rims.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gabriel likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

who is saying this?? Ask BST or whoever the manufacturer

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I asked BST about warmers and they directed me to this answer.

80ºC is 176ºF

We see operating temps higher than that on tires, and I've measured the temps of rims after warmers were up to temp, but never checked the temps on rims off the track. Rims that were heat soaked from warmers that I've measured were around 140ºF +/-.

I can also say that I have quite a few customers with BST rims that have been using them for a while and I've never heard of or personally seen a failure that wasn't the result of a crash. I would absolutely not use the rims after any kind of crash without having them X-rayed or checked by BST or whatever the process is. All the ones that I've seen fail were visibly broken and went on to become very expensive wall ornaments.

MELK-MAN, Gino230, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

In 2012 my kid and Bryce Prince were on a team that was sponsored by Rotobox carbon fiber wheels. I think the front would be much more noticeable vs. the rear. Both Tyler and Bryce said they could feel a substantial difference when transitioning back and forth in S type curves.

@metricdevilmoto summed up the warmer stuff well.

We ran warmers all season with Rotobox's and never had a problem. The owner came to a few of the races and saw us with the warmers and never mentioned they couldn't be used. Personally if we couldn't use warmers, I wouldn't have wanted my son to run them. It would have been too big of a disadvantage at the start of the race, especially on only a 6 lap sprint race, IMO.

However, I know Steven Eisenhower wouldn't agree.:D

TurboBlew and Atahan Koymen like this.
  10. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Have 2 sets of bst's, one set on trackbike that I use with warmers and one set on a streetbike . I also change my own tires with a no-mar tire changer
    and have never had a problem with either set of wheels.

Atahan Koymen likes this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If the rim is in good shape, I would not hesitate to buy just the front. I had 2 sets of rims for my 848, one was lighter than the other (forged aluminum) and there was a noticeable difference in the ease of turn in with the lighter front on there.

Atahan Koymen and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I have been racing this setup for years on my 2mm motor R6 (stock rear wheel, marchesini magnesium front). I don't like the lighter weight rear wheel. The lighter front is awesome. Much easier quick transitions. I have a 17" marchesini laying around that i'll likely sell with my superbike when i eventually sell it. Every so often, we throw it on with a fresh tire to just confirm what i always say after riding it, and take it off.

Interesting test the Yosh team did a year or 2 ago with wheels. Both Elias and Hayden liked the lighter, but NOT lightest wheels that were tested.

13. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

On my SV650 I loved my Mag wheels but on my 2017 zx10r I perfered the stock wheels maybe because I was use to them? But for me the bike was more manageable with the stock wheels and less twitchy. Wheelied less and also on the brake the rear tire stayed planted better with the stock wheels. Again over time and more set up change could I have gotten use to them......probably. But those were the first things I noticed on a big bike.