1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praying for Ryan Newman

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Feb 17, 2020.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dude didn't have the decency to die in spectacularly gory fashion, so we don't get to schadenfreude about it... all that's left is to purse fight about who knows more about it/didn't watch it the most/but still knows best how to fix it.

:rolleyes:

Kev59 likes this.
  2. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

2004 Rusty Wallace pulled the restrictor plate off at a test at Talladega. Ran 241 down the backstretch, 230+ through the corners, destroyed the right front tire in two laps

Quicktoy likes this.
  4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

At LVMS. An SMI track. :D

I work Legends Car events. One of the more interesting technical rules has to do with front and rear bumpers. The brackets attaching it to the car are deliberately weak. Any contact from overly aggressive driving will break one, and the car is immediately black flagged for a loose bumper.

[​IMG]

5axis and 418 like this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Listening to bubba Wallace talk about legend car racing and how cut throat it is, is awesome and funny as hell.
    He went and raced the series at Charlotte motor speedway last year and people racing lost their mind....

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Internet is funny place. Any time you have something like this happen you have a million armchair quarterbacks that have their opinion on making things "safer'.

Motorsports are inherently dangerous. Like Guy Martin said "go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it". Part of the beauty of the sport is having to stick your neck out to make shit work. I'm not for people getting hurt or worse but trying to completely eliminate the risk is not only impossible but also waters down the sport. I know some of the sports car races I've seen last couple of years it looks like bumper cars on TV. Maybe it's a nice reminder from time to time that even with the great safety advancements made this still is a dangerous sport and requires respect and commitment.

As far as NASCAR encouraging contact? I guess we're gonna act as if big wrecks aren't what made NASCAR what it is today? It's been part of the sport since the inception of super speedways.

p.s. Push to pass isn't a safety feature, it was a way to get some passing in a series where there was none.

TurboBlew, turbulence, cav115 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

I haven't watched Nascar in years but tuned in to watch and it looks like a 200mph demo derby now when compared to the 90's. Is that just me or is this what it is now?

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Honestly all racing evolves into that at times, they try to make it more competitive with more rules that allow less differences. NASCAR is so strict there are very few adjustments where you can even get a significantly different setup...

I personally believe there should be enough rules to keep Parity possible, but enough freedom to allow there to be setup differences and choices that lead to the team that makes the best choices winning.
    JMO

cav115 likes this.
  9. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I say make the body of the vehicles look like the stock body of the stock car they are racing. Build a bad ass racing engine and chassis but use stock looking bodies. Make the manufacturers make their aero better from the factories.

10. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

With cars at those speeds just floating around on the track waiting to go airborn is suicide. I feel bad for the drivers who pretty much know they're going to wreck hard not to mention the team owners know their car is most likely going to get wasted, sux to be at the top.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

If I'm home on a Sunday working in my shop, I'll have the NASCAR race on, so I watch a fair amount of them. I enjoy it more since my wife got us up close and personal with the Penske team so I feel even more engaged knowing all that goes into it behind the scenes.

That said, a NASCAR race has three phases as far as I'm concerned. You've got he first 20 laps, which kind of sets the tone for the second phase. Now the second phase to me is the meat of the race, and I'll typically drift away from it, channel surf to see if anything better is on or work on a bike and not really pay attention. The third phase is the last 10 laps , and that's where everything happens. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched the last 10 laps of a race where there wasn't a wreck. I've had occasions when there were so many GWC attempts that I really don't give a shit who wins. That's pretty bad considering that it should be the most exciting part of the race, but the rules have just killed it.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Risk vs reward. The crashes while they suck are part of what pays all those bills.

Photo and cav115 like this.
  13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Impressive, and 15+ years ago! :cool:

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that nascar needs to "eliminate risk" or that such a thing is even possible given the nature of the game.

That said, the product at Talladega and Daytona is unnecessarily risky and is less entertaining for it. Unless you happen to like seeing the Big One. There's plenty of Russian dashcam bids out there to sate that bloodthirst.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Russian youtube doesn't pay the bills for the US teams and tracks...

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Russian videos are okay but the Chinese ones are the ones to watch. and for as messed up as the chinese videos are they don't come close to reality of watching it live. It's like watching a clown on fire break dancing while 5 really fat guys in nothing but speedos do jumping jacks behind the flaming clown.

As for NASCAR, it just ain't for me. I keep trying but it's just too long, seems like a lot of it is staged to get maximum "close racing" and the racers just don't get me behind them (although Bowyer is pretty funny).

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I agree, not sure there is really a way to fix the problem though. Back in the seventies through mid 90’s the draft was a bit different and we didn’t see quite as many big crashes.
    Not sure if standing the windshield up or letting more air under the cars would but it seems there is too much reward for paired up cars and lines of cars these days. JMO

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Ryan Newman has been fined several times for publicly criticizing nascar for the lack of “safety” at Talladega and Daytona

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And he still chose to do it for a living and run those races.

418 likes this.
  20. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

SpeedyTide and 418 like this.