1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praying for Ryan Newman

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Feb 17, 2020.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Change the engine package . Lower HP for Superspeedways

Tifosi likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Boogity, boogity, boogity!

Tifosi likes this.
  3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

They already have that. They replaced the restrictor plate with a tapered spacer. Kinda ends up with the same results, but a different way of getting there. Trims HP from about 850 down to about 550.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nope. Ditch the superspeedways is the only working solution. Maybe make them rovals like they did at Charlotte. 40 cars going 200+ within one second from first to last is always going to end just like this. Put chicanes in at a minimum.

23103a likes this.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

If I remember right he hit 222mph or some shit.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bill went 212+ mph without a restrictor plated intake. (event)
    Rusty Wallace went 228 on a track. (testing I think)

noles19 and Metalhead like this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The other thing they could do at Daytona is bring a lower grip tire, make it narrower and possibly harder. That brings handling back into the picture. Even with "only" 550HP you would have to lift a bit for the corners at Daytona. Unless you went to bicycle tires, I don't think that would work at Talladega.

8. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

And last night the top speed was 202 I believe, unless someone ended up going faster than that later in the race.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, the tires are pretty small and hard as it is. Those cars are sealed to the track well enough they are making a couple tons of downforce. They need a less generic aero deal and lighter weight. They are WAY too heavy to be running the speeds they are.
    IMO the cars need more drag, less weight and less downforce. NASCAR doesn’t care what any of us thinks though. LOL

10. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

You guys just described the ideal scenario for....racing. Look in the Malaysia GP test thread and see how excited everyone gets because the top xx bikes are all within a second of each other so "it should make for a great season." This was an unfortunate accident but it's the nature of such a dangerous sport. They need to crack down on the rubbin's racin' attitude to fix it. Otherwise every race turns into an LH44/MM93 snooze fest.

dobr24 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sure looked more like bump drafting than rubbin is racing to me.

backcountryme and Britt like this.
  12. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

So replace it with car to car contact. It's not tolerated in most other forms of pro racing. Mostly nascar and dirt ovals.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's tolerated in closed wheel racing most everywhere. Tolerated to an extent in all racing. It's not like he hit Newman with force on purpose, they were working together to be up front.

turner38 and worthless like this.
  14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You should look into what they pay on taxes on that speedway and what they’ve paid in taxes for it since it was built.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Why not make a rules package that makes it so much harder for a crew chief to get a car to reach these speeds?

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah blaney said he was just trying to push him to the win, the bumpers don't line up very well like they use to, which Nascar does on purpose to avoid the tandem draft they had for a while.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

LOL, I don't think there can be any better example of apples vs. oranges, at least for MotoGP where there is plenty of separation between riders within a half lap or so, and those gaps continue to grow as the race goes on, in most cases. With NASCAR, EVERYBODY's goal is to just stay in the draft with the lead group, get a few points in the interim if they can, and try to stay up there to survive the last few laps in the lead pack.

Moto3 is maybe a different story, where performance advantages are much less obvious and drafting is a MUCH larger part of the equation.

auminer and ton like this.
  18. ton

ton Arf!

it'd be interesting to see the crash statistics.

i bet a large percentage of crashes that involve more than one car are precipitated by bump-drafting.

backcountryme and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Heal fast.

I don't think Cole Trickle could have done a better job at destroying a car.

AC1108 likes this.