1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR 400 question

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryan NJ, May 19, 2004.

1. Ryan NJ

Ryan NJ Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if rearsets from any other bike bolt up to a 1988 FZR 400? Also, this thing won't idle under 3500 no matter what I do. What's the deal? I heard something about emulsion tubes, but I have no idea what they are.

2. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Rearsets for the FZR400 and FZR600 are the same.

Don

3. Kevin Crauswell

Kevin Crauswell Well-Known Member

But . . the sets are not in what one could say is a " Race"
    position. I raced a FZR600 for years and the factory set(s)
    will not allow what I would say is a damn good lean angle
    in the corners. ( they dig in and could cause you to
    loose control)
    Now, I was able to find a set that would work in
    the original mountting holes and did pull up and back for more
    clearance. Good luck on shopping.:D

4. Don_728

Now I understand.... let me try again... CFM rearsets for an FZR400 or an FZR600 will do exactly what you want :Poke: :D

Don

5. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

6. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

Mine is doing the same friggin' thing! Someone help us!:eek:

7. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

When does this happen, hot or cold, both? Motor history and carb setup?

8. fzrkidd

Both,
    I don't know about the history as I was not the one that did the jetting. It is however an 88 main jet, not sure about the pilots. As far as I can tell everything else is stock. At higher RPM the thing runs like a champ, but you let off the gas and let the RPM drop and really boggs down and wants to die. I have a more experienced buddy coming over to go through it tonight.

9. Don_728

It could be as simple as turning up the idle, or if it sat for awhile it might just need a good carb cleaning. You'll need to pull the carbs, remove the float bowls and spray carb cleaner through all the jets.

Don

10. fzrkidd

The carbs are clean as a whi(.......mmm, my 3 yr old has a whistle, maybe that's not a good analogy)....... they are super clean. The only way to remedy the problem is to set the idle at 3000 rpm. Which works, don't get me wrong, and it has some other benifits as well, but still isn't right. Ya know what I mean. :D

11. fzrkidd

bump!

Any ideas? Anyone............anyone?

12. Kevin Crauswell

Kevin Crauswell Well-Known Member

I say : start with syncrozi'n the carbs.
    I would say you might have one or more
    adjusted higher than the others.
    ( if you took them all down to nothing and all
    down to individual items, they may be out of
    sync. ) Hope this helps. If not I have my original
    tuning note for my FZR630.:D

13. toeslider

toeslider Where is Watkinsville?

Are you using the stock airbox or individual filters? The stock air filter box boots are a bitch to get onto the carbs. The rubber boots do go into the air box a certain way and if they rotate around they will not go on right. This was a very common problem. Make sure that all 4 of the boots are on the carbs or it will not run right. If you are using individuals then try to back the idle set screw out and see if the idle changes. It sounds more like an air leaks somewhere if it takes a while to idle down then goes dead.

14. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Re: bump!

Have you checked valve clearance?
    FZRs have a problem with intake valves dishing.
    Try a cylinder leakdown test.

15. fastbydrmike

fastbydrmike Well-Known Member

I raced a fizzer 400 along time ago and my bike had flat slides on it, and it idled high but ran great up top. It did not do that with the stock carburators.

Mike

16. fzrkidd

Dear Ryan NJ, and everyone else

I have solved the idle problem (on my fizzer anyway), and here is what I found. First off let me say I honestly don't believe the carbs were the problem, but I did go through them all. They were extremely clean, but who knows. What I do think was the problem was a missing set screw on the choke activator. Some of my carbs were getting choke some weren't and some would not shut off completely. I lubed the choke rod and put a new set screw in the bracket on the rod. I also found a loose spark plug. I didn't test the bike between the two things I found so I don't know which one it was, but choke makes alot of sense! Good luck! Mine is running like my little sweet bitch again! :D

17. Ryan NJ

Ryan NJ Well-Known Member

Good grief fellas,
    Sorry that I posted and left, but I forgot that I posted here. You guys have given quite a few answers. I am still on the quest for rearsets and I will try the choke thing on my bike. FZRKIDD, if you never chimed in I would not have gotten anywhere. Thanks.:clap:

18. fzrkidd

NO PROBLEM!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

19. halowords

halowords Well-Known Member

Is it o.k. if I thread-jack at this point?

It's on the FZR400 theme and the rearset/idle mysteries seem to have been solved, so . . .

Just curious on two things about a possible FZR400 engine rebuild I'll be doing this summer . . .

Do the FZR400 & 600 use the same gasket sets by any chance?

Second question . . . The engine I want to build is in parts. If I have an FZR400 Shop manual and an FZR600/750/1000 Haynes Repair Manual, how hard will it be to:

A) put it back together, and more importantly

B) figure out what small not-so-obvious parts I don't have (e.g. spacers, washers, clips, etc.) are and consequently find them?

-Cheers

20. fzrkidd

Good luck and have fun!

My honest advice, throw er back together and race that sum bitch this summer, piss with it in the winter!:D