1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR Yahoo Groups- where did it all go?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Estebann, Feb 15, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It’s dry. It’s been in the rules since before I started racing, so I’ve no idea why it’s required for that side

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

NRC still sells covers. I recently priced a set for my srad

3. Estebann

Estebann Member

Awesome thanks for the support everyone. It has been hard to say the least finding detailed info on mods and correct paths to take, specially when all promising search leads take me to a non operational link.

First question:
    Want a bit more power, I have a 18k healthy (Minus valve adj needed) 400... would like more power, ahrma rules cut me out at 2mm over max. Problem as you all may know, 2mm pistons are next to Unobtanium in the periodic chart.
    Demotivated by that and Unless someone has a source, been gaining interest in what a 489 would consists of - so far Ive found that I would need a healthy YZF600, pull the top end with pistons without rods, and mate it to the fzr400 crank and rods, bore out the crank oil passages, but then on the pairing... how much do I need to mill out and from which side?
    Not ahrma legal, but the build and end results sound like my type of fun. Opinions or any other insight?

4. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

There used to be a website FZRArchives.com which had a lot of useful Q&A about the 400 and possible mods. I saved a PDF of it (attached). You might find something helpful there.

Attached Files:

ricracer16 likes this.
  5. britx303

The nicest thing about going on the archives was being greeted by Sung Hi Lee:D

6. britx303

I used a yzf top end for my 660, and that was with a fzr600 crank, not a 400. I’ve never been able to get a clear answer on how a 489/490 is built. That might be the engine that gets some spacer that’s shaped like a cylinder base gasket made?????

7. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Spacer plate motors were generally 560cc. Then we went to 565, yzf crank based. 489 are a hybrid of yzf600 and FZr400 parts.

8. britx303

Oh yeah......I forgot about 565s. I’ve got plenty of 400,600 and yzf engines and spares. For the 489s, what machining work is required? Or is it just crank-rod-piston combos?

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Steve at Speedwerks has the knowledge on that combo. Cylinder needs 5mm total height removed on paper if I remember my math correctly, how much from each end to do it safely I dunno.

10. britx303

I’ve asked already. He said he’d be more than happy to build it for me.........just not tell me how to do it:D I don’t blame him at all........it’s job security :p

11. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Could you tell me what paragraph number in wera rules says the left has to be reinforced?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Right side only.

Chapter 8, 2-D

d) All pre 2001 Suzuki GSX-Rs must have engine case guards installed around the right and left sides of the engine, extending beyond the frame, and are subject to the WERA Technical Inspector’s approval. Case guards on the left side of 1995-97 Kawasaki ZX6R’s are suggested but not required. Yamaha FZR 400, FZR600 and YZF600 machines must have an engine case guard on the right side of the engine. Heavy-duty aluminum replacement covers may be used in lieu of case guards. Stock case covers with extra metal welded on to make them thicker may also be used. 06/07 Yamaha R6’s must used a tank guard of some sort on the sections that extend past the frame rail on either side.. The guard must be approved by tech.

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I remember back in the day there were some case guards that were about 1/4" mild steel flat stock with a plastic insert that bolted to the engine mount bolts and covered the stock cover. I think they worked pretty well, but did not look racey.

14. britx303

Woooops! Sorry, I must being mixing up a few rulebooks in regards to FZRs. :oops:

15. Estebann

Estebann Member

Am thinking about keeping bore stock, just boring out the the oil passages, new rings, bearings, and maybe cams for internal mods. That way im still good to go for AHRMA

Ive heard from swapping intake with exhaust and adding a fzr600 cam intake to, just swapping out the intake for a megacycle...but not sure which is the one?
    Any insight on megacycle - still sunday, just cant wait until monday...

Attached Files:

16. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Count me in! Im still searching for a 400 near NJ to pick up

17. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Dont forget about all of rhe Army of Darkness articles either. Lets post them here

18. Estebann

Estebann Member

Wow never heard of that forum ever! So many FZR forums going defunct-

19. Estebann

Estebann Member

What are you building?

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Another guy here with some leftover parts from years ago. Steve bought my crank w/pistons last month, so I've got 4 pistons with rods, 4 rods and cams. Tired of moving this stuff around...somebody buy it.

[​IMG]batman symbol wallpaper

[​IMG]