1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 Tacoma 4.0 v6, motor shaking issue help needed please.

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Feb 8, 2020.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help lads. :timeforabeer:
    I'm sure I'll need a bit more assistance once I get into this.

cav115 likes this.
  2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep. Me too.

Just heard you speak of low finances.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Would the manner in which the head gaskets fail on these trucks show up on and exhaust gas test on the coolant? The kits are cheap and it's an easy test

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

5. L8RSK8R

Trucks owned by an employee. She's can't afford a major repair like this at the moment

cav115 likes this.
  6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Sometimes, the MLS gaskets can act like a reed valve and seal one way and not the other. Have seen them go both ways also.
    Odds are it will need gaskets and a resurface to fix it.

sdg and cav115 like this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This is where an exhaust analyzer comes in handy because it will pick up exhaust in the coolant before a block tester will.

If you have access.

sdg likes this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Well damn someone actualy knows a bit here

track wagon, cav115 and TakeItApart like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well, he is a great mechanic, at least for half the job.

He has a twin brother named “PutItTogether” to complete the circle. :D

cav115, TakeItApart and L8RSK8R like this.
  11. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

If you can see directly in the plug hole at the piston compare it to the others. If it's been leaking coolant, the piston will be clean, the non leaking ones will have certainly have some carbon build up. The coolant leak literally steam cleans the combustion chamber.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Back in the day we poured water through the carb to clean the chambers..

sdg and turner38 like this.
  13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Way back in the day it was either trans fluid or brake fluid they got a drink of!!
    :D

cav115 likes this.
  14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I remember tranny fluid but would've been afraid of brake fluid... People seem shocked to see Seafoam going in that way nowadays...

15. L8RSK8R

Should I give any consideration towards installing a rebuilt motor, since there's 280,000 + miles on it.

I'd hate to put in the effort and money to replace the HG, only to have the bottom end blow out in the future.

Remanufactured motors are available for $2600 -$3250.
    They come with all the gaskets needed to add on water pump and ancillaries.

I can pickup in SoCal and save on shipping.
    One shop gives a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Would probably need to spend another $500 or so for new water pump, oil, hoses, coolant etc.

TakeItApart likes this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

If it`s going to be a long term vehicle for her, I vote yes.

Check out Jasper, 3yr, 100k parts and labor. We have very little trouble with them, and when we do, it`s no hassle.

17. L8RSK8R

She loves the Taco and it's in good condition.
    She just installed new tires and replaced the driveshaft recently.

It'd be a long-term ride.

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Not to thread jack, but my F150 just recently started lurching on harder acceleration. Doesn't seem to be related to changing gears, as it'll do it from 6th gear (it's a 2015) without a shift. My initial thought was also something like trans fluid, but not sure now. If I switch to sport mode, it'll do it enough where the check engine light comes on and flashes for a bit.

The ECU will keep track of the check engine lights right, if I were to take it in?

19. L8RSK8R

How many miles on it Eddie?

20. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

Has the truck been in Cali its whole life? Frame good?
    What about a junkyard engine? The early 2005 4.0 are known to have head gasket issues so I would avoid the 2005 model year.
    They made the 4.0 Tacoma from 2005-2005 with minor updates so there should be a ton of them out there for purchase. Ive just read some bad stories regarding reman engines and would rather have an original engine in this case.
    2012+ added air pump and exhaust valves to the exhaust for emissions purposes but I would think you could make any 05-15 engine work without significant effort. I did a very quick seach but saw in Modesto, 102k mi engine from a 2010 for $1800. You can probably find a better deal but this is just an example.
    Tacomaworld has so much information on these trucks, there's no reason to even make an account, one can find anything you want to know by search.

Boman Forklift, L8RSK8R and cav115 like this.