1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Bags?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Sep 11, 2013.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Eddie, does Honda East carry the Ogio stuff?

2. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

I have a 20 year old Alpinestars gear bag that I still use for dirt biking. I definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

My new roadracing gear bag is a cheap ebay bag that's similar to the A-star in size and number of pockets.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

They do. Jaci over there can help you find something, if needed.

RRP likes this.
  4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I can imagine how bad a suit and helmet liner would reek after being put away even slightly damp in that sealed box. That's why I stopped using big gear bags for everything- I hang up the suits in the trailer, helmets are individually bagged, a smaller gear bag holds boots, armor, etc.

6. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Hasn't been an issue for me. Everything gets aired out in the garage when I get home. Helmet/suit/boot liners get rinsed out. YMMV.

noles19 likes this.
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

What’s the BBS preference for Ogio back/day packs to use as carryon for flying?

We are searching for Germany trip in June.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I got a Convoy 525 and the boss got the smaller version. Really liking it but it is taking a bit of getting used to after the Oakley Kitchen sink which was huge. Main upgrade with the Ogios is being able to easily hang them on the handles of the roll aboard bags. Makes a huge difference hiking through airports.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Sean - do these work for carry on?

10. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

To just get your gear into the trailer the rolling bags are great, and I have always used rolling Thor bags for motocross and road racing, where I was using my own trailer. I used the more expensive Thor bags because they were much tougher than the cheaper brands. But being in Alaska I was flying to all my AHRMA races and the rolling bags were heavy enough I was always up against the airline 50 lb and size luggage restrictions (racing vintage I was always carrying heavy spare parts to the races), and the helmet compartments didn’t protect the helmet adequately, and the rolling framework got bent by aggressive cargo handlers, so I switched to name brand hockey bags and just put the helmet into a cheap padded helmet bag https://www.bobscycle.com/bobs-fleece-lined-helmet-bag.html inside the gear bag. Solved all problems and while it’s not as easy to carry I just threw it up on my rolling luggage to get through the airport.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  11. :stupid:

One of the worst ones I ever had was from Alpinestars. The built in dividers all ripped apart. The quality was shit.

I’ve tried 5-6 different ones. But the Ogios are by far the best IMO.

12. The Oakley “Kitchen Sink” is a backpack, so yes (it’s what I use when traveling also).

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Chris, do you feel like you can 2-3 days worth of gear in one when traveling? Also, are they bulky when packed or ?

thanks
    M

14. In the main (large compartment) of mine I carry my laptop, 2 changes of clothes, shaving kit, Bose earphones, toiletries kit, and a few magazines.

That doesn’t count all the small pockets where I have stuff like power adapters, couple sets of wireless earbuds, sunglasses, keys, wallet, hard drive, snacks, chargers for everything, etc.

I love it. I’ve got a red one and a black one.

Even if I’m going out of town for 7-10 days, I can take that backpack and a small (carry-on legal size) rolling bag, and I’m good.

RRP likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

16. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I use a hockey bag with wheels. Perfect to put all my equipment minus the leathers, sincee I have two helmets, two sets of boots, many gloves, etc... Leathers hang on the fan hanger.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The backpacks? Absolutely. For the roll aboard I've got this one - https://www.ogio.com/travel/layover...MIj7SBnbrR5wIVjJyzCh307AWgEAAYASAAEgKUq_D_BwE and it works great with the expansion zipper left closed. If we don't have to take much out west we'll do the rollers and backpacks which is why I wanted the backpack to slip onto the handle. Otherwise I break out the 9800 and carry the pack.

18. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Desert dweller but racing in northern California. I don't see it much different than any other gear bag. It's just hard sided. Leave anything packed up for awhile and it's gonna get nasty.

19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Sean

Do you have the 525 or 525r (rolltop)?

tks
    M

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

525 normal.

RRP likes this.