1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTO GP - COTA 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by Circacee, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Love sushi. Getting my dad to eat sushi is a whole nother thing.

2. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Check the menu online
    They have plenty of non sushi items

the hot rock always a fan favorite . Make reservations now or plan to prowl the bar for seats .

Senna likes this.
  3. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I'm coming for my first time. I'm riding my Connie down from Huntsville, Al. Hope I'm not biting off to much as far as the ride goes. Have my tickets and a place to stay thru Air bnb. Hope to ride up thru the Texas Hill Country on the way home.

ducnut and TurboBlew like this.
  4. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Not sure if the OP is still looking for trip info? If you are, give Nate over at Motosports Travel a call. He has the best prices I’ve seen for a full weekend package. He will taylor make you a package with everything included(that includes the rental car). Airfare is up to you though. My wife and I went to our first MotoGP at the 2018 COTA race. It was an amazing time. Nate even got us into the KTM Moto3 garage to checkout their setup and talk to the mechanics about the bike and whatnot. We just booked everything with him again for the 2020 MotoGP COTA race.

https://www.motosportstravel.com/

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've gone to COTA three times because my kids were going to college in Texas, and I would plan a college visit around the race, therefor I also rented a car. If you book in advance cars are very cheap, plus that lets you grab a less expensive hotel if you like? One year we stayed in a Howard Johnson, and it was pretty dumpy, but it was Tyler, my best friend and me, we only stayed there long enough to sleep and shower so it didn't matter. If either of our wives came along it wouldn't have been nice enough.

I searched like this last time and it looks like there are hotels from $50 and up. If I go this year, I may try an Air BnB, haven't ever done that before but have heard good results from others. https://www.google.com/search?q=che...e..69i57j33.9662j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We always bought GA tickets and walked a lot. Also the MotoAmerica pits are down by the MotoGP pits, but separate. Our first year we didn't realize you could get into the MA pits without paying the huge pit pass price fee, so we missed out on that. The other years we went into the MA pits and had fun. If you buy tickets the grandstands where the racers come off the back straight and make 3-4 turns in front of you are very good and if you get up by the top you can see a lot of the rest of the track.

I just looked and it is Turn 15 like others said. It looks like Turn 12 maybe okay too? We thought the traffic getting in and out of the track moved very well. If flights are expensive into Austin, we booked last minute and flew into Houston to save a bunch.....it is about a 2.5 hour drive.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

We just Googled Bar-B-Que when we went last year and picked one at random. It was freaking good, but there's virtually no way I could remember which place we went.

Senna likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Houston is one option... San Antonio is another & alil closer to Austin. I know last year the return flight out of Austin was $1200+ for those looking to make it back to work on monday.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Terry Blacks BBQ is excellent. If you want some insanely good Tex Mex, try Valentinas. It is actually just a food trailer with a covered outdoor eating area, but they have the best tacos I have ever tried.

Senna likes this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Lots of great 'que options. This place was one of my favorites: https://www.yelp.com/biz/coopers-old-time-pit-bar-b-que-austin
    If you're in the mood for tacos this place is awesome: https://www.yelp.com/biz/torchys-tacos-austin-4

These are both downtown and both casual.

Senna likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Last time I went I flew into Houston, $186 from Atlanta,
    Needed a car anyways so took the 2.5 h drive

11. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

AF1 is worth the visit. Barlatas is a great Spanish restaurant with authentic tapas.

Senna likes this.
  12. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. This will be my first gp race and first time to cota. Im actually going solo and hope to meet some people there, i bought the paddock pass and crap from cota along w a turn 15 seat. Cant wait for the race and to check out austin as well. Not sure if Op is into it but there is a custom mc show in austin that weekend as well.

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

ajcjr likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cooper's BBQ was also really good. brisket, Ribeye, Anduille and those jalapeno MacNCheese...

15. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Yeah, don’t miss the Handbuilt show for any reason. It’s the highlight of the weekend.

ajcjr and GarrettRick like this.
  16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

How is the Paddock Pass? Worth the price? Do you get to see the MotoGP bikes up close?

I assume if you have grandstand tix you can still wander and view from trackside as you would with general admission. Any recommended trackside viewing locations?

Piecing together a weekend get away for my bride and I. Appreciate any insights!

17. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'm going for the first time this year. Taking the kids with me. Looking forward to it!

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

EDIT: Yes you can wander whenever you want with grandstand tickets, those have your name on them for the day.

i walked the entire track on Friday and Saturday to see what we liked the first year. On subsequent years I didn’t venture to the back although I probably will again next time I go. Turn 1 is okay for awhile. I like the switchbacks after turn 2 for awhile. I liked the area off the back straight and into the grandstands. I’m on a plane right now so I can easily look up corners but the sweeper is nice as well as the corner after the sweeper.

I may pay to go in the tower sometime, but last time I was there I would have had to pay for both my kids and my sons girlfriend, so I cheapskates out. LOLOL

The best view is the grandstand around turn 15

prm likes this.
  19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Decided we’re in! Paid for hotel with points and have a free ticket on United. Will be staying about 20 min away but that’s not bad for three nights free. Will look into restaurants and start planning the days there. Looking forward to see MotoAmerica Superbikes too. Wish they’d squeeze in Supersport. Haven’t followed Moto 2 or 3 real closely, need to pay attention the first couple rounds.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Just pull for Joe Roberts to finish higher than 20th.