1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preferred Pronouns.....in a professional email signature

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lanceabillion, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I make no judgment on whether male or female, he or she, but I do know what a person is not, and that's plural. I'd be looking around for another individual to make up the we and they. Why not make up another word altogether?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, I might be changing my opinion on this subject now :crackup:

Lanceabillion likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

90% of the population can't even use the words that already exist. Pick any thread and sample it. :D

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I solved the problem by using the first name. At the moment I cannot recall the birth or identified gender of the party in question, so I used they as a genderless option in recounting the story.

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Another fun one might be to keep switching it up on them. In your signature you can be she/her, when you see them in person correct them and say you're a man today. Then say you're a she again at the end of the conversation.

blkduc likes this.
  6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Got it, wasn't referring to your story. They sometimes refer to themselves as they. Hmmmm...singer, Sam Smith, sang a 007 theme song. They.

7. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

9. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

I almost used that wording but as R Acree pointed out that would be an insult to include with mental health.:D

10. joec

joec brace yourself

11. joec

joec brace yourself

I believe scientifically there are actually like 6 recognized genders.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Link.

I found three:
    Male
    Female
    Neither

There are multiple identities/behaviors.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

This has invaded my personal safe space of gaming... Speedrun / Marathon charity streams are now not just listing preferred pronouns for everyone, weather that person wants you to or not, but you get lectured about it every 5 minutes as well. Desert Bus in particular turned the woke knob past the stop this year. I used to enjoy watching those streams and throwing money to good causes, now I'll just have to find a different path to be charitable.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

I thought hermaphrodites came into play..I thought there were only 2 sexes that were actually. Scientifically recognized. I'm just a dude, who identifies as a dude.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is “Nerd” a pronoun?

fastfreddie and joec like this.
  16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If you have MPD, would it be ok to say my preferred pronouns are Legion/Legion/Legion? I mean, since we're not allowed to recognize mental illness, this would be certifiable wouldn't it?

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

“Moron” was already taken ;)

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ban @G 97. Problem solved. :D

19. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Sex =/= gender =/= orientation. Sex can include male, female, intersexed, hermaphrodite, and neuter.

I agree that including pronouns on a professional document (.sig, card, whatever) is tacky.

joec likes this.
  20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I haven't come across the prefered pronouns yet, but I did run into some gendering issues a while back in the automotive tooling world. I asked a customer if this new design I was working on was going to be a male fixture, or female fixture, and he said "we can't say that anymore around here, it's now holds water or sheds water". Fack me.

On the plus side, the wife and I have replace that in our vocabulary and use it on the regular now. As in, "that person over there is a holds water". Or "hurry up and come to bed I'm shedding water in here" Change can be good lol.