1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford 4.6L V8 pros and cons?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 11, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've never had one of these motors. My older F-150s always had the 5.4L V8s which I loathe. How are these things? Any issues with transmissions or spark plugs? Weak points?

2. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Yep, same spark plugs issues

Either permanently stuck, or blowing out

Nice engine, otherwise
    Got 235,000 on my Mercury.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Early ones with the all-plastic intake had issues with coolant leaks behind the alternator. If it has the intake with the alloy coolant passage, it's good on that point.

As previously pointed out, the plugs need to be changed before they weld themselves into the heads; they need to be carefully torqued when re-installed because the heads don't have many threads in the holes.

cav115 likes this.
  4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Don’t be afraid to use all of the tach, it likes to rev. It’s the only way to get any power out of it. Even then don’t be in too much a rush to get anywhere.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Ford transmissions seem to be pretty good, don't replace a whole lot of them as compared to GM. Can't remember if 4.6's have spark plug issues, can't recall any. The 5.4's do for sure but either the 2v (blowing spark plugs out) or the 3v (some year have high thread plugs, later ones changed). Neither one is a "hard" repair, tools are available to extract the high thread shit, i can do 8 broken ones off in an hour, no big deal. Don't let that sway you away if it's a good truck, it's a minor issue really. The only other thing off the top of my head is some years had FPCM modules mounted on the rear frame cross member, they;d rot out and wont run the fuel pump, again, easy common fix. They are probably the best Ford trucks on the road.

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Yep! The first trip I took in mine I went to make a pass on a 2 lane highway towing a Kendon and 2 bikes...ABORT!!! ABORT!!! ABORT!!! I needed a lot more room than expected.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pros: you don’t own one

Cons: you’re considering one

Had one in a van I bought, and while it was dead nuts reliable, it was painful, and I mean painful trying to get that slug to move a 3/4 ton contractor van full of stuff.

Phl218 and cav115 like this.
  8. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Good info regarding the intake. Mine on the 00 Grand Marquis was still good however, I opted to change it out. A full manifold kit can be had from 1A auto for around $150. Shouldn’t take but a few hours to replace.

9. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Fine in a car, but in a truck that is required to tow...sucks. Used an '04 CC F150 for years to tow and even with an open uhaul car trailer and a 4k lb car it struggled (6klbs total -ish). The '06 4.0 Nissan Frontier towed better engine/drivetrain wise.

10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

2 valve or 3 valve? Like Dern said - painfully slow. We have a 2v in our lab van... previous lab van had a GM 5.3... it's like a going from a leader bike to a zuma.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Had 250k on my 5.4 F150 when I sold it 3 years ago. Guy still daily drives it.

13. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I've got 320,000 on my 4.6 Expedition.
    Replaced several injectors and coils, that's all besides the regular maintenance.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Pros: cheap, everywhere.
    Cons: tiny little pistons [ask the ladies how they like little pistons] intake manifold amd spark plug issues. Gutless.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks for all the info everyone.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Coworker has 480k on his 97 F150 and still daily drives it.

Really amazing because in the winter that fucker idles ALL day. Gotta be 30k+ hours on it. We nicknamed it "the mule". He is the original owner.

Now for the best part.....about 10 years ago he started running semi truck oil (15/40) in it because we have drums of it at work. Runs like a top.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Bro...Rotella is the answer to every question ever. Diesel oil for errythang!

tony 340 and GarrettRick like this.
  18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Same motor as the Town car?

19. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Basically the same
    I think it's tuned for more torque

20. ninjabros

ninjabros Well-Known Member

I have a 07 f150 with the 4.6. Did plugs at 90k and had no issues with them being stuck. I have about 115k on it now and only major repair was a new alternator. Change the oil and filter at 5k religiously and air filter here and there. Its been super reliable. Only downside is it makes no power and have to rev it out to get anywhere and MPG isn't all that great.