1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How are side by sides and quads selling?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I'll have some data about PWC, small boats & marine engines, SxS, and ATVs soon.
    I think it's important to see what PWC and the small marine industry is doing as many Powersports manufacturers build either or both. And it shows where disposable income is going too.

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

How is "sales" defined in this context? Number of units? Gross dollars? Gross profit? Net profit? I think it makes a difference in trying to determine the status of the industry and the relationship to roadracing.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Just like tire tire sales as mentioned elsewhere, by units.

5. kenessex

So if I sell 103 TTR125 and 97 YZF R1, then that reflects flat sales for the year? C'mon Jeff, that is meaningless in the context of the health of the industry. Now, if I sold 1300 TTR125 and only 97 YZF R1 based on 1000 TTR and 100 YZF the year before, then that may be a whole different story. I am afraid percentage of number of units based on the previous years sales doesn't tell us anything about how things are going.

What did Samuel Clemens say? "There are lies, damned lies and then statistics."

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Because most states don’t keep track of them it’s hard to tell but the side by sides are doing extremely well. It’s how the industry and shops are staying alive.

7. Critter

Critter Registered

Based on my numbers dealership activity was up 12%-15% last year. Now whether or not that translated to an actual 12%-15% increase in dealership profit remains to be seen. From all the folks I have talked to dealership sales we up and so was profit. I am talking about overall dealership sales, units, parts and service

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

What’s relevant for the beeb IMHO is what the market is doing year to year, as in up or down. And if the OEMs sell more of everything then they are getting healthy and willing to invest more in racing, etc. If you want more info then you will have to join (pay) the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) to get the in-depth sales reports, OK?

stk0308 and Montoya like this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And here is how the non-profit Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) works. To be a MIC member you have to pay and the benefits of joining is that you get sales figures (new units and tire sales) and you support their efforts in in Washington to watch/protect the industry and its consumers. For reporting the OEM manufacturers send monthly new unit sales of ATV/UTV/scooters/motorcycles to the MIC. And most if not all of the OEMs are reporting data but maybe the smaller Asian ATV/UTV/Scooter companies are not.
    The MIC then categorizes the sales data in many different ways including what was sold by dealers to consumers by zip code. Tires sales data reports are similar but different. Then the MIC releases the data to its members in detail each month or quarterly.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Critter

Critter Registered

My understanding is Polaris, the largest OEM in the US does not report.....

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Polaris selling Indians motorcycles as the biggest, no Harley is. As far as ATV/UTVs maybe Polaris is but not sure without a bit of research

12. kenessex

Jeff,
    I don't particularly want more info, I just want clarity on what you are citing as growth statistics and it can't be drawn from the data that was presented. While the number of units sold did not decline, that does not necessarily equate to a healthy industry it also doesn't show an unhealthy one. If ATV and UTVs are sustaining a dealership or manufacturer, I wouldn't expect them to make an investment in roadracing unless they see that as a segment which can show growth in the near future.
    I think there is a lot of insight which could be gained from an in depth analysis of the MIC data, I just wouldn't want to do it. I'm retired and have a bunch of bikes in the garage and gun projects that require my attention. Plus, I am really working on my menu repertoire for dinners. I am about to expand into pasta dishes beyond spaghetti. I have never made lasagna, but that is next.

G 97 likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]

Ken, the amount of bad information/bad assumptions about the M/C industry seen on this forum is and has been amazing. So all I wanted to do was to post some facts because nobody else was doing it, OK? So let's have a beer at Grattan in May and I'll share some more irrelevant data in person:D

14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

There's no IF to the assertion that the UTV segment in sustaining both the dealerships and the manufacturers. The watercraft segment did all the heavy lifting in some years before that, as the ATV segment did in years before that. Of course, this "bad information" only comes from someone who was in dealerships and meeting with others in dealerships throughout those times.

G 97 likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

According to Ducati approx 33,000 Superbikes sold worldwide in 2019.
    Ducati claim a quarter of them were Panigale's.

Front End Chatter #109

16. Critter

Critter Registered

Overall with all their business units, Snow, ATV, SXS, MC, EV, Boat, Military and accessories

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Tangent

The first dish I ever made for my wife was Lasagna. It’s my moms recipe and not only pretty easy, but quite tasty. My wife thought she lucked out with a chef, but now jokes around that it’s too bad I’ve never cooked since!!! :D

I just used the food to reel her in and set the hook.:p

G 97 likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I just got this info from the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA). Segment growth leaders in 2019 were new personal watercraft (up 5 percent), wake sport boats (up 5 percent), cruisers (up 4 percent), and jet boats (up 1 percent) year over year. Regarding the MIC and UTVs it seems these units are not reported. The MIC collects sales info for ATVs though. So I'm still gathering data. And what's really weird is that Slingshots and Spyders along with Harley trikes are reported in the on-road cruiser sales numbers. Why because they are considered 3 wheel motorcycles, weird right?

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

But most of those are not sold by the majority of Powersports dealers, so it's a bit irrelevant.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And yes Polaris reports

G 97 likes this.