1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical plug help

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My dad just bought an enclosed trailer that is wired with AC and this is the plug on the outside of the trailer. He is looking for an adapter but this 4 prong plug seems to be uncommon. Is there a reason to keep this plug or should he change it to a more common 3 prong twist lock plug?

Attached Files:

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You should be able to buy that at Home Depot
    It's a L1430, most generators use those

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I did see those wire yourself adapters, didn't know if it mattered that it's not a twist lock style with a seal when used on the outside of a trailer.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Don't pickle your egg.

6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

It is a NEMA L14-30 twistlock. Very common. No reason to change it.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don’t change it. You can’t safely use the ground for your neutral.

4-wire twist locks are available at all home improvement stores. Be sure to use a 10/4SO cord with it.

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

So that connector is a 30Amp 120/240 volt connection. Line 1, Line 2, Neutral, and Ground.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...0-Amp-125-250-Volt-Connector-L1430C/202216503

Ideally, it should be protected from rain. Your pic doesn't show enough to tell if the cover is broken off or its mounted in some strange fashion. Normally, you would have this under a rain / dust cover that would protect from falling rain when connected and from dust and water when closed.

If you want to be more careful or paranoid, you can get these L14-30 connectors in Marine configurations - watertight with rubber boots and threaded sealing rings. They will run 3-4x the cost of the connector linked above.

If you make an adapter, adapt it to a 4 prong RV plug. You should include a dual pole 30A breaker in the adapter, as the 4 prong RV plug is 50A source and you are connecting it to something that can only handle 30A.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nerd.

Shenanigans and beac83 like this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's Encyclopedia Brown.

11. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Shenanigans and Phl218 like this.
  12. ScottyRock155