1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk me out of this trade!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by tropicoz, Feb 6, 2020.

1. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Local dealer has a 2016 KRT ZX 10 in stock brand new, and it’s priced to SELL. Under 12K without me even stepping into the shop to haggle. I have a 2016 Duc Hypermotard 939SP that I’m not married to, so I was thinking a trade might be in order. (I miss doing track days and this might set me up to start again). Is it worth going in to talk???

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Why can’t you do track days on the Duc?

trussdude and turbulence like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Can you afford both? The Ducati to goon and the Kawasaki to do whatever it is a 1000cc super does.

You also need a KTM dirty bike and a Grom.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think the zx10 is fine as wine. Dig that bike.

KneeDragger_c69 and TurboBlew like this.
  5. tropicoz

I thought about it, but I can’t get used to the riding position no matter how many miles I put on it. Dunno, just always felt more comfortable on a sport platform.

6. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

No way, trade that in! ZX10 is so much more bike for track vs the hyper! I went down the Duc route for the last few years and now, wanting to get back into racing, I am getting over them VERY quick. For the time, money and effort that it takes to get them track worthy it just doesn't make sense, then you risk blowing them up (eg, every testastretta engine and for sure the need for rods in anything other then an 1199 or 1299, but you need to change water pumps and have the oil seeping issue etc etc etc.). The aftermarket is ok, but your going to PAY for it, if you can actually find what you need. 99% of the time you need to buy new because you cant find the used parts you need.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Trade the Duc for an Honda AT/AS, put a deposit down on a RR-R SP, change your mind on both and get a GoldWing to tow your NSF250R to the track.

YamahaRick and Tj Hunter like this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You're riding that Hyper wrong. It's a dirty bike.

[​IMG]

Yeah, but get the ZX, I can only imagine that sum bitch in warp drive at a track day. If that's what makes your panties wet.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What was the question?

K51000 likes this.
  10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

nothing to talk out of. zx10 all the way the 16+ (5th gen) has all the updates. with a decat, can, and flash, they are VERY close to 200rwhp. decent suspension out of the box too. i have a 4th gen, and have been lusting after the 5th gen. DOO IT! Ski

11. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a leftover 18 zx10r last month. Awesome bike.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

3 year old left over for $12K is a bit steep.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I thought that...but it's new (wear-wise). Still a tall number. :confused:

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

No shit? Hell, I want one now.

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I will buy it tomorrow!

16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

The Hyper is a fun bike, but not the same trouble free track bike as ZX.

17. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

In sure location plays a part but I paid $11,999+tax for my 2016 in February of 2017. Love the bike though, I raced it almost bone stock for a year(pipe, tune, 520 chain kit) and did pretty well in Amateur. Now in expert I just upgraded the suspension.

All you need is a pipe, some sort of tune/ECU flash and tires. I highly recommend changing the steering head collar out and flipping the swingarm pivot adjuster. Really cheap mods that bike the bike turn in like a dream.

tropicoz likes this.
  18. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Not sure where the OP lives but a quick look at Cycle Trader shows a bunch of 2018s and 2019s for well below $12k. IIRC the later ones have a factory blipper, where the 2016 does not.

19. tropicoz

Thanks for the input guys, I plan on stopping in this week to see if I can beat them up an get it for as close to an even trade as possible. Up here in Maine, Ducati’s are fairly rare so they kinda geeked out when they saw it. Hoping it works in my favor