1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do my washed clothes stink(!!!!)

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

1st world problems, just came off an island 40 miles off the coast of Nicaragua with a girl hand washing my clothes in a horse trough, drying them on a line outside, perfectly folding them and they smell great. Only way clothes get funky is if they stay wet

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Steeltoe and SpeedyE like this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Can't believe that it took 3 pages for raccoon piss to get a mention.

I may well be the first person in history to type those particular words. :crackup::crackup:

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

https://tide.com/en-us/shop/type/laundry-booster/downy-unstopables-scent-booster-tide-original-scent
    Never leave clothes humid, folded up. Make sure they are 100% dry and then store them.

When you train, same thing. Hang them up to dry before you toss them in the basket or washing machine.

You should also put "Unstopables" or other smell good pebbles in the wash, before you start it up.
    Works wonders.

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

OK I think the moisture is the issue but ....

If you have a front loader they make a cleaner, run a packet through once every couple of months.
    Leave the washer door open after using it
    Clean the gasket with a paper towel once a month
    If you have problems in drawers but not the closet clean the drawers (this with a bleach based cleaner) If you insist on putting damp clothes in buy some gun safe driers to toss in the drawer.
    Reduce time in washer before putting it in dryer.

Sounds like a mold problem. Mold hates ventilation and light almost as bad as bleach. So again if you are pulling out damp toss them on a hanger for a small amount of time to help.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Thank you Guys!!!! :beer: :)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: Mildew from not doing laundry properly.

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kills fleas too.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Like others said it's likely because your clothes are not fully dry or they are left in the washer for too long after before going into dryer. From my experience only bleach will get rid of the smell. For colors only add small amount and pour bleach only in the specified bin of your washer. Can't do it if you're on a septic.

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Also check your dryer vent as mentioned.Even if the clothes are drying ok,lint buildup will trap moisture and mildew your clothes.

SpeedyE and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

Most of the time the problem with stinking clothes is the washer is dirty and has crap growing on it where you can't see. If that's the problem and you have an older machine you need to use vinegar and baking soda to clean your washer so just run a cycle without clothes. If your not completely drying your clothes that will cause the stink as well.

SpeedyE and rcarson15 like this.
  11. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

An entire day and no test results?

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. SpeedyE

Sometimes I will run a load in the top-load washing machine, then forget about them for 1-2-3 days, then remember and run them through dryer....w/ all the info above, I know wet, and i am understanding this is my #1 Worst fopau

13. SpeedyE

I have SO Many clothes.....i do laundry every few months. When I had my house in the city, one of my bedrooms was converted into a dedicated clothes/shoe closet

When the pile of dirties grows above my head height, then I go into laundery mode :cool::D

14. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Faux pas

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. We inherited newish front-loading HE washers in our last 2 homes, and both have had moldy door seals. You can't get the mold off. Replace the seal.

Also, they both had a drain with screen under the front cover that was filled with the rankest muck I've ever seen. Not human. subhuman. Check that.

Last - check if they have a superhuman clean cycle. Usually a combo of keystrokes. Our current one sounds like it going to take off through the roof when I run that.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

This is all on me.....The house is beautiful/everything correct/nice. I only one having stiknk clothes.
    1) I not drying all my clothes 100%
    2) I leave wet clothes in washer for days, before drying, 30% of the time.

As usual, this is all on me.... :D

17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I still think it is your mom's fault.:crackup:

Steeltoe and SpeedyE like this.
  18. SpeedyE

I know, Right :clap::crackup::D

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This thread was over on page 1. :D

SpeedyE likes this.