1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUV/Truck tires

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Feb 5, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Staying metric AS/AT, sizes between 265-285/60-75.
    Given 16” and 17”, which diameter offers the most choices? There's about 7 size choices for each...I'm interested in brands/type.

I know y'all are gonna ask so, they'd be for a new Tacoma.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

General Grabber ATS60? Works great on our Pilot and Quad Cab/V* Dakota. Soon to be on our Explorer too!

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

If you can get the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in that size, there is no reason to continue this thread......

BROsiah likes this.
  4. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

BFG A/T ko2

5. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

I'd go for more sidewall and less wheel if it was me. 265-75-16

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

They come with 275/70/17 don’t they?
    That’s what Inwould put back on it...

Got a set of 245/75/17 Michelin’s I’ll make you a smoking deal on to get them out of the floor.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sumitomo encounter AT

Got great mileage on my first set, maybe 50k+ miles
    Just put second set on. Rides smooth. ~$520 set picked up from Tire Rack

K51000 likes this.
  8. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

^This or Firestone Destination A/T less aggressive than KO2 but still great tire!

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

In my recent tire search I came across this brand. They’re supposedly one of the largest tires manufacturers in the world?

10. fastfreddie

265/70-16 and 265/65-17. I'd want to fit a wider tire. That's why I mentioned 285/60. I'd even go 305/ if it wasn't tall.

11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Put 285/75/17 BF goodriches on our Wrangler and it is a nice size tire.
    Was thinking the Taco’s came with a 275...

305 would be a bunch wider.

12. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Fwiw, I went from the Ko2's to the Nitto Trail Grappler G2 and I'm quite happy with them.

13. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Who mounts and balances them for you? Cost? Asking for a friend

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Have tire machine and wheel balancer, so I do.
    Plus live 25min from Tire rack warehouse.

Yeah from I found they have mainly done commercial tires forever and only in the past few years gotten more into passenger tires. They have a pretty good reputation in commercial truck tires so I figured for the price...

speedluvn likes this.
  15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What do you want them to do? Are you cheap or willing to spend for a good tire?

16. fastfreddie

I want them to handle daily driver duty in all conditions, particularly, wet and snow and some mild off roading all while giving decent highway mileage.
    Both off road and highway could be towing near 3500lbs. 3-12 hrs oneway highway/14+ times per year.
    I do not want to get stuck, I do not want to crash in inclement weather, I do not want to buy tires every 20k-30k miles. I am not a non-driver...this vehicle will prove itself, but the tires have to be up to the challenge.
    More aggressive than Mich LTX A/T (really just a mildly aggressive all-season tire) but Duratracs may be a stretch.
    Money is not the question.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

BFG KO2’s, but, you’ll have to really spin them to clear them, if you plan to be in sticky mud. They’re the highest snowflake-rated A/T tire available. It’s what I have.

You don’t want to get stuck, but, that puts you in M/T territory and there’s no way I’d listen to the noise everywhere I drove. And, they’re not great on hardpack snow and ice. Locking differentials at both ends would be more beneficial.

Duratracs are harsh and noisy. My buddy has them and there’s no chance I’d ever consider them.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Funny, I have the exact opposite experience with my Tacoma. The ko2s are garbage in snow, harsh ride, loud, lose balance too often. The Duratracs have far superior traction in snow, mud, dirt, everything really other than fresh rain. They were bad with fresh rain. Nice ride, got loud as they got older but not like the ko2s.
    Tried the Cooper at3, quiet, good ride, better wet road traction. But everything else worse.

19. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Could check the Yokohama Geolandar or Falken Wildpeak. I'm planning to choose between those for my van by this spring. Both seem to be A/T and still with good road manners.

20. fastfreddie

I've had BFGs...harsh ride, no good in loam or loose-covered hardpack. Snow was an exercise in Rally driving...fun, but not safe.

Have Duratracs on both Jeeps. Great traction in all conditions I put them in - not putting myself in/on clay or ice. Unbelievably quiet for what they are. Quieter and softer than the BFGs that were on the JGC and F250 that, also, didn't balance for shit.

Other two vehicles wear Michs. Quiet, high mileage, handle all street conditions quite well, don't go off road with the ATs, don't drive the Sports below 40°F with any authority.

I'm not looking to add a fifth vehicle with a Tacoma, I'm looking to downsize/delete to three. Tacomas come with shit tires.

Brex, what size Duratracs, type of driving and how's the wear?

I came across those a couple times while searching sizes. Yoko guys swear by 'em; I'm thinking Falkens have a good rep. I have no experience with either.