1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes on V6MW. Entry fees didn't cover the the wasted trophies so boss said nuke it. :(

2. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

has anybody checked your local want ads ? V6 (Light and Heavyweight) bikes are cheap. $1-2k???V7MW arent much more. tires , tune, suspension work. all things considered not much money.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

The f-3's absolutely killed the f-2's,thus running all the f2's into the for sale section,or motor swaps.Even the 97-and up were faster.I don't have numbers,but know ss to ss numbers were big enough to switch out to f3's.It wasn't until suzuki brought in the gsxr 600 that the Honda started to slowly go away.I raced both,and wish I could get back at it with you guys soon!! Just my 2 cents!!

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Uh oh................:Pop:.................:D.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. ToofPic

I know...I'm asking for it,but Grids don't lie! The only fast guys I remember on f-2's were Grant Lopez,and some guy named Josh Hayes.but the rest of us were on 3's

Ooops..almost forgot a year or 2 later some asshole was beating everyone on a yellow fzr600 ..Jamie Hacking I believe was his name?? :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well I raced them both and raced a 95 Zx6R.
    The Suzuki wasn't faster. The main reasons for F2 and F3 not being raced after 95 was no contingency was being paid.
    But instead of hashing this all out.
    Let's look at where we are now in vintage.
    Lap times are not as fast as SS times in mid 90s.
    And with what's on the grid now a F2 is competitive without all the money thrown at it.
    JTs bike was a stock bottom end with stock intake cams and port work.
    Nothing fancy or high dollar.
    My whole point is you could buy an F3 or F2 and with any riding ability you can be a frontrunner or winner in V7MW and HW.
    Heck I ran F2 forks with F3 lowers with F3 front rim with success on my bike I race now.
    Best part is if you rebuild bike or modify it the rules dont change and you can race same bike 10 yrs or more.
    Heck Eboz still racing same bikes when I met him in 2000.
    Lol.
    That's the best part about vintage.
    And I use 2 sets of tires a yr.
    Actually 1 set because I race a few races from set I bought last yr for half season.
    Now you decide to build a bike just hit me up and be happy to tell you what parts work best for a budget build.
    Hell for 1600$ I will sell motor out of my bike I raced all last yr.
    It's a f3 motor.

Steven

ToofPic likes this.
  7. britx303

Who is the pacifist that logged in as VFR#52???? I expected this..................[​IMG] Just kidding with ya!:D

ToofPic and VFR#52 like this.
  8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

No it's no big deal. I've beat both Hayes and Lopez when they came to Cmra.
    But i had a 95 ZX6R.
    That's to me is best bike I've ever raced in SS trim.
    Now if I can just track it down in Georgia I'd buy it back.
    But also you may need to think that F2s had soft intake valves and after a full season slowed down and on F3 they fixed that issue.
    Grant Blew his tired F2 at TWS on banking.
    Made a hugh mess too.
    Some good times.
    But every yr back then you had to buy a new bike to stay up front.
    Vintage is super laid back.
    Besides we all slow so should be easy prey.
    Lol

Steven

9. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Just wanting people to come race with us.
    Building grids is goal here.
    Has to be more than Dyle,Don and Me in MW.

Steven

Dyle, britx303 and ToofPic like this.
  10. ToofPic

Yamaha's 95 yzf600 paid very well,I never got any of that money,but that pos grenade cost me more than any bike I ever owned! Blew up at Memphis,and again at Road A. both endurance races.Hated that bike!!Suzuki also ran select Suzuki cup weekends that paid very well.Again..never got any of that money,but guy's would kill for those sprint race checks.I never remember Honda throwing any money in our races,but I also was kinda late to the 600 field.I mostly raced fzr400's and Honda RS 250 my last year

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well I poor boy raced and Honda dropped all money in 95.
    94 it paid certificates but not a lot.
    Kawika in 96 paid 500 a class in 4 classes.
    I made good money on Kawi and was competitive running up front at Cmra.
    Stopped sprinting because just couldn't afford a newer bike that paid with a wife and kid and another on way.
    Endurance raced and in 2000 I started vintage racing what was to be my street bike.
    86 VFR 750 and started having fun again and was super cheap compared to trying to run a 600 in ss class.
    Been doing vintage off and on since..
    Won V6 Championship in 01 and lost it in 02 and 03 Wera bailed out of Texas for good until they started going to Nola.
    And like a crack addict I'm back and making the long drives to race V7 class.
    So it's fun and laid back and only 1 skinny guy in class.
    But sometimes wrong with him as he cant get fat like rest of us in class. Bahhhahahhaha
    Picking on poor Dyle.
    But wont find a better bunch to lie and tell you how bad you will beat them.
    Then show up and kick your ass.

Steven

ToofPic and Dyle like this.
  12. britx303

I hear ya! I love V7's, as thats where I started,so I guess im senti-mental about the classes.:D I hope for nothing but the best for it. Ive kept a V7 bike ready to go waiting for a regional series again. I just dont understand the weekend schedule yet though since Summit is an endurance round. Is V7 racing those weekends?Was that addressed already?If so,I missed it and might have to just do V8 or modern MW classes

ToofPic and Dyle like this.
  13. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Shit. I didn’t think about that. Changes things considerably.

14. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Normally I only make it out to Grattan, but I'm planning on trying to make it out to Nelson in June to run a few laps with you this year in V5 and I guess V6HW.
    I haven't been there since 2011...only had about 5 laps at that track with another organization before taking an unexpected ambulance ride...so it will be like a brand new track for me.o_O

15. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

I can help you find a V7 bike or FEW.
    Would love to see our grid grow big enough to compete with V8 grid sizes.

ToofPic and VFR#52 like this.
  16. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Not unless I find someone to buy my V5 bike first.:rolleyes:

I wish I had never sold my 1992 ZX7R K2 (real homologation special) 5 years ago.
    Now I see a couple ratty "J" models for sale here asking twice what their worth and I kick myself for selling the "K".:mad:o_O

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

There have been more bikes in V7 if I am not mistaken...at least in HW

Dyle likes this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Signed up for both V7 and V8 HW today for support... See you guys there...

Outsider V6 V7 likes this.
  19. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

Looks like I have to take my 750W back out of the living room if the grids are more than just me like it was last year. As far as V7HW being cheap, Huh? My old tank still destroys tires every race and I have to search high and low for anything and pay insane prices but its very relaxed and fun. I plan on at least one race this year on it, maybe more. Have to see what shows up for V6HW now that i can enter that class.

Dyle likes this.
  20. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

this is the first yam fzr ive ever owned/will race (it was cheap too ). needs the basic stuff- tires, fork seals, fuel tank cover and a few other things.[​IMG]

Shenanigans and britx303 like this.