1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Does TiN/DLC Coating? Who Are You Using?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweatypants, Jan 29, 2020.

1. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Diamond-Like Carbon will look black. There is no "rainbow" DLC coating so that's complete bs. It's also not a plating process, it's Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD). Way different. Outgassing is an indication of poor cleaning before processing.
    Also, DLC has a lower coefficient of friction than Titanium Nitride so if you're going through all the trouble you might as well get what actually performs the best. Unless you just like the gold color better and aren't interested in the best performance.

backbone likes this.
  2. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Thermosman did mine when he built my forks

[​IMG]

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have forks I took apart for customer and he had me send tubes to this company https://techmetals.com
    Should have them back in few days. Will see how they look.

backbone likes this.
  4. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i'm just going off what they told me.. i don't even care at this point, i just wish my forks were back with something better than stock after spending approximately 2400 for kashima coating uppers, cerakoting spindles, and ti/no/dlc/wtf on the stanchions

5. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Is it MA Twins Cup legal to apply these coatings? I read the rulebook last night, and I see where SS, Stk1000, and even Jr Cup says you can apply a coating to the fork tube. But I don't see that listed for Twins Cup.

By the way, Industrial Hard Carbon just quoted me $350 to treat a pair or fork tubes.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why waste the money on a LW Twin?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. Badger911GT3

I don't see why fork stiction would be any less important in a Twins Cup bike than a SS or even Stk1000 bike. And if spending obscene amounts of money on a Twins Cup bike was a bad idea, I passed that bridge a LONG time ago:).

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The first gen Gsxr-1000 always made me gun shy about TiNi coatings lol. This was a known issue at the time.

[​IMG]

9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

At least they dodn't leak all the time. Our 04' GSXR1000 had the DLC and they would leak in right after getting new seals and sometimes just sitting in the shop between rounds. Buttery smooth though haha

10. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Brad at KB5 is a solid dude that can get suspension bits coated as well. I don’t know how much he dabbles in road stuff but I do know he can get coatings done.

http://www.kb5ind.com/index.asp

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, I'll rephrase, why waste4 the money if you're not at the extreme pointy end of pro level racing?

I was trying to be nice but quite simply there are maybe a dozen riders on this board that it would make a difference for...

969 likes this.
  12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Cuz it makes you look fast :)

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

It looks good with white wheels!

14. Badger911GT3

It's a good question. In my situation, I've ridden bikes with 6+ mm of stiction, and ~3mm of stiction, and I THINK I can tell the difference. But I will admit that I wouldn't bet $1,000 on a blind test.

For me, it's mostly (but not entirely) about confidence. When I'm getting passed by Rocco or Blake, my belief that their suspension is no better than mine gives me additional confidence. "If their bike can carry that much speed into that corner, so can mine" - I'm thinking.

I'm sure you'd agree that psychology is a big deal in sports.

And like I said before...$350 is not significant at this point.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Boman Forklift and jkraft like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly style points is a valid reason to me :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes more sense than most justifications :D

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  17. Badger911GT3

Industrial Hard Carbon applied the DLC coating to my RS660's chrome tubes, and I got to ride them on Sunday at Barber.

At first, when I started reassembling the forks, and slid the fork seals on...it felt like the fork tubes had MORE friction than before. I started to worry this project was a complete failure.

But I went ahead and fully assembled the forks, installed them on the bike, and measured stiction. I was very happy that the 7-8mm of stiction they had before was now about 3-4mm. And I can feel the difference just pushing on them in my garage.

I believe I can also feel the difference when riding. Particularly while trail-braking into Charlotte's, I used to feel like it was hard to be very smooth with releasing brake pressure; it felt like I was trail-braking in steps, rather than a smooth line. But on Sunday, the front felt very smooth as I released the brake lever.

Again, I wouldn't bet $1,000 on a blind test. But I do think it is making a difference, especially with forks that for some reason had higher than usual stiction.

18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Dan Kyle offers it and they are an Ohlins rep. He is in jail still but shop still running and I have been buying Ohlins shocks from them at best prices for years. In Nor-Cal. Pretty knowledgeable guys working there. Coating price is listed on their website kyleracing.com (I think thats right).

Why would you bother with coating an Ohlins damper? Just curious.

19. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Dan Kyle passed away a year or two ago.

20. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Dang. I didnt know that. I know someone else has been running his business for some time. The website has gone through changes as well. Limiting what they now offer quite a bit. Wasnt aware.