1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Does TiN/DLC Coating? Who Are You Using?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweatypants, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Who has had good experiences with who for TiN or DLC coatings?

I want to send out a Ohlins shock and steering damper and get the shafts coated with TiN, maybe the body also anodized while I'm at it. I've had some unresponsive companies, and a buddy currently experiencing a nightmare with another... so I'm open for suggestions of somebody who has good business practice, decent turn around, and who will rebuild the stuff right when they're putting it back together.

Whata you guys got? Thanks.

2. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I have absolutely no experience with them, but the last time I browsed through Racetech's website they were advertising DLC coating stuff.

3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Thermosman probably can point you in the right direction on those items.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

MetricDevilMoto had mine done...they are flawless.

Once a Wanker.. and Sweatypants like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Superbike Unlimited offer it.

Sweatypants likes this.
  7. Sweatypants

Thanks guys. I figured RaceTech wouldn't want to be assembling Ohlins stuff. I read their website as "these are the coatings we can do for you for our stuff," but maybe not. I'll ask.

I'll try some of the others as well. What's the best way to get to Thermosman these days?

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

9. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

FYI, Konflict Motorsports has had my forks since April 2019, and still I don't have my forks back...

bike has missed multiple shows, track days, etc. complete disappointment.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

11. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

What BS excuse are they feeding you to take that long?

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Death would be the only decent one..

Sweatypants and eppy01f4i like this.
  13. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

first, they said the original plater left the stanchions in the stripping tank over the weekend on accident, and destroyed them.

they had to order new oem suzuki stanchions

then, they sent them back to me with the incorrect color on the stanchions, barely different from stock, and they completely forgot to coat the spindles/lowers. so basically i got nothing like what i paid for.

sent them back, and then their plater couldn't successfully plate the stanchions (that they bought new supposedly) because they kept outgassing. so then they sent them to a 2nd company to try and get them 'rainbow dlc' plated. well that company supposedly failed also. now they're sent to a third company, " carbon raptor" which is a division of industrial hard carbon, and they're cc'ing me on all emails. I don't know if they've received my forks yet, as I haven't heard back, but that's where we are now...

it would have been much faster to just buy the full ohlins kit and have custom triple clamps made. you live you learn, at least i have the 125 to ride and enjoy.

14. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

How big of a market would you say there is for DLC coatings on motorcycle/suspension parts?

My BiL is the CEO of a company that manufacturers the actual coating machines and im trying to talk him into sponsorship . . .

15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I have not sent anything to this guy yet, but have spoken to him on the phone and he does do motorcycle forks. The price was pretty reasonable, but I don't have my notes with me to tell you exactly how much was quoted. There was a couple week turnaround time I believe.
    https://www.tincoat.net/coatings-offered/tin-titanium-nitride/

16. Sweatypants

I believe MetricDevil Mike shall have me handled. Thanks guys.

jksoft likes this.
  17. k_cotter

k_cotter Well-Known Member

www.ionbond.com

We use these guys for multiple types of coatings in the cutting tool and aerospace industry. I have spoken with them in the past about motorcycle forks and they mentioned they it for a number of 'race shops'. Couldn't get more specific though.

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Doesn't Pro Circuit do it? May have to send in dissembled as they are a dirt company and probably wont do actual work on road stuf. But they are 100% trustworthy. I'd give them a holle .

19. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

20. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I definitely need to bookmark this thread as I didn't realize there were so many reliable options.