1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Billie Eilish

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

They wore their clothes backwards.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Ironically...

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry...that doesn't help. I think I had bailed on pop culture by 1993.

crashman likes this.
  4. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

can someone provide some backing evidence of this?

crashman likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The fact that she didn't know who Eddie Van Halen was kinda pissed me off at first, but EVH himself was cool about it, which is the appropriate response. She's a 18 y.o. girl after all, so I guess she's allowed to not know who he is.

pscook likes this.
  7. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 4

Phl218 likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This thread and all of the hype I have been hearing about her actually made me put her name in Spotify and Google her. Most of her music is whiney slow assed breathy bullshit and she looks like a pissed off stoner with a shitty attitude. I have no idea where the hype comes from and will definitely not be adding any of her "music" to my playlist.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

...and get off my lawn!

pscook likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I accepted that I'm not going to like most of what my kid listens to. Bruno Mars, Post Malone and most of what's on her iphone play list. That's fine and the way things should be. But she also listens to a lot of the stuff that I like. Slayer, Erasure, Ramones, Drag the River and eventually Motorhead.

It's all good.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Words of wisdom, dad. I sure hope my kid likes some of my stuff, but I also expect him to be his own man and to even become a better man than myself.

12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I like a lot of different types of music, but not all artists styles. In the video posted, her delivery reminds me somewhat of Mumford and Sons slower pieces. So, I’m in the corner that this was the plan for her all along. I also noticed recently the Grammys are nose diving in the the ratings, I can see why.

The nice cans mention is very unnecessary btw, the girl is 16.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This is authentic homegrown musical genius and you just can't see it!

[​IMG]

crashman likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's good to at least have a listen. You never know what going to be good. There is a ton of stuff I listen to that my father exposed me to that, at the time being a kid, was not what I wanted to hear. 30 years later it is some of my favorite stuff.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

16. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I am no music fanatic but I will admit I've been following her stuff the past 6 months or so and anyone who thinks she's a talentless hack or an artist "Frankensteined" up in a record company marketing meeting is way off base IMO.

She just turned 18 recently - she's not going to say the right things all the time but overall she seems well spoken, driven, and very very talented.

I liken her to a mix between Lady Gaga, Courtney Love, and Joan Jett - talent like Gaga but the "I don't give a fuck" attitude of the other two. She's quite pretty but goes out of her way to remove looks from the equation - that is for sure bucking the trend for Pop Stars.

Watch her recent appearance on the Howard Stern show for another example of her singing ability - girl is unique and can wail.

L8RSK8R and pscook like this.
  17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

She was born in ‘91, making her 18. Whether or not she has nice cans is debatable, as she’s usually wearing stupid outfits.

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Fuckin' ... SWEDEN!

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

From wiki - "In a deal arranged by Finneas, Apple Music signed Eilish to A&R company Platoon, which helps package artists before they get a major label deal.[9][21] Eilish then got a publicist, who connected her to the fashion company Chanel, and a stylist, both of whom helped shape her image." (Like the aforementioned Kriss Kross wearing clothes backwards her look is a gimmick. Jermaine Dupree came up with the backwards idea as part of the Kriss Kross image btw. )

The brother seems to be the sharp one. He knows how the business works. But the cries of originality and grass roots fandom are a bit over the top. Again, nowhere did I bash the music or the act. Just saying there is more to it than meets the eye.

Now the industry is recognizing the reach and scope of Tik Tok they are beginning to leverage it to create exposure. From what I gather this was done with Billy Eyelash. People (kids) who see these vids assume they are released by an artist (making music at home) and don't know it's a commercial venture. I know another artist who's career recently went into hyper space through a Tik Tok release. Good kid and doing extremely well now.

As for the Grammys, they haven't been relevant in very long time. Remember Gotye? Neither does anyone else. But you would think he was Elvis and Michael Jackson the way the Grammy hype was. I positively hate the Grammys. It doesn't so much reward artists as it serves the people who run the music business. The Grammys snubbed black artists, hip hop in particular for decades while at the same time rap became one of the biggest genres on the planet. They did the same thing to country music for years and the same for metal (Just ask Metallica). It's all about pushing what's profitable and palatable.

The End.

joec and R Acree like this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fuk I'm old...I had to Google Tik Tok.