1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

portable garage heaters

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Jan 24, 2020.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I just ordered a 6kw electric 22ov heater. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the tank top propane.

2. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

can we change this to how to cool a garage? I live in AZ and it's Fine hot as a MoFo.

I use clothes layered. to heat my self. I also have a small space heater that points to my balls. Yes at my ankles.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Funny you say that. First off my dad and I are motorcycle nuts.

My mom let me rebuild my Dragbike Kawi Z1 engine in my bedroom. I used her oven to heat up the cylinders to drop out the liners at least two different times. I can’t imagine doing that inside my own house now.......:D

cav115, tony 340 and beac83 like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Another consideration with unvented heaters is that you'll rust all the exposed steel in your garage. . Those units are 100% efficient, which means you get all the heat produced by the heater, latent and sensible, resulting in high humidity. Exhaust gas is primarily CO2, CO, and water vapor. When the exhaust gasses mix with oxygen, a reaction causes sulphiric and carbonic acid, which when condensed on the cold surfaces of whatever is in the garage will cause corrosion.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

AZ is dry enough that you could run an evaporative cooler. Cheap and moderately effective.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'd listen to this guy....

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Old school kerosene heater.

You’re welcome.

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sheet the ceiling and toss in a hanging heater plumbed to a big ass propane tank. Remove when you move.

I just walk out to my 64° garage and enjoy working on things any time I like. Its worth not being a cheatskate.

10. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation.

Insulating is easier said than done especially if garage is full. At the least it’s a full weekend worth of work.

I have an electric 220v heater but honestly doesn’t help much. (Prob cause heat for out the uninsulated roof)

if it’s really col I use the propane sunflower heads but as others said: fumes and condensation suck.

Also, all your tools and things your working on will still be very cold, making you cold as air temp raises.

I usually just dress really warm, and if I’ll be out there extended I do use the electric and the propane sporadically.

I havnt found an easy and cost effective solution myself but have considered the plastic idea someone had mentioned above.

have you though about a heated vest like Milwaukee ?

11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

A insulated and heated garage is a MAJOR selling point in the cold climate states.

If you can....do it right.

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

For only a weekend of work insulating you'll have 3-5 yrs of winter comfort until you sell. And it'll be a major selling point when you do.

13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

How big is your garage? Wood burning stove or furnace is something to look into. My roof is metal. 1/2 of the 24x36 is insulated. The rest is bare, studded walls with a 16' hard plastic style garage door.

It's about 35 here now....Went out this morning, fired up the kerosene torpedo heater for 20 mins, got the wood buurning stove going (2 mins), and im out there in a 68 degree garage in a t-shirt. Couple pieces of wood every couple hours. No fumes, no condensation. No noise.

I have about $400 invested in the stove and double/triple walled pipe (craigslist), installed myself in a few hours, 10 yrs ago.

And.....who doesn't like kicking back next to a hot fire and throwing down a Heineken 0.0?

14. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

I put two of those in the old dairy parlor of my barn and couldn’t be happier. No insulation, but the 2x8 walls have 2 layers of 3/4 fir on the exterior and the interior is 3/4 tongue and groove. It’s 34 outside right now and 70 in the shop. Last winter I hardly used the shop when I had no heat. This year I’ve spent most of the weekends working on projects.

Electric heaters were the quickest and easiest install for my application. I will most likely be switching one of them out for a hyper heat mini split in the spring.

15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I don't think insurance companies are too keen on wood stoves in garages. Even with a furnace, they can't be on grade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

IMO, get something like this.. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G51BZU?tag=classjapan-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

You get a twofer.. One is the garage now.. Second is when the power goes out. You really want a cover you butt in case the lights go out, with a good hose from BBQ 20lb standard grill tank you can go all night with no issue. I've used other infrared heaters that don't say OK for indoors but my Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide detector never went over a 1 most times stayed at zero, my home is old and if you have a new tight home monitor your detector to confirm you will wake up in the AM.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Move it to where ever the OP's garage is located.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I did a Triumph TR6 inline 6 in the dining room of our apartment once way back when. Dishwashers are only marginal for parts cleaning.

cav115 and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Was that when you lived by yourself, or with your wife?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Roommate. Before the first wife. Current wife wouldn't have allowed the roommate in the house, much less the engine.

Boman Forklift likes this.