1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Route 66 or the like on a bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 25, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Take a lightweight ADV bike and ride the TAT.

RT66 is overrated and will be a letdown. You’ll be wishing you could get that time back.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I was out there 10 years ago, I found that some of the old Route 66 in AZ and NM is on Indian land, as in, closed to the general public.

So keep that in mind if you get that far west.

There are maps available that show where the old routes were and which parts are still accessible.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Figure out how many miles you can do everyday, then map it out.
    You'll find the farther west you go, the bigger the states are.
    There's so much to see once you hit the Rockies, you'd be lucky to make 300 miles/day and actually experience anything

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

That is an option as well.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Was looking into June, general idea was to be a solo ride (for spiritual reasons), but a beer or 3 with beeb personnel is always welcome at the end of the day.

6. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

If you’re going to hit Joplin, let me know. I’m 45 min from there and can meet you or give you directions through Springfield and you can stop at the house before headed that way.

Maybe we can ride down and eat at Undercliff in joplin.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You must be German. Those krauts are always talking about Route 66. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Joplin is my hometown, I had to look that place up because I don't get down there very often, cool history behind it. I'll have to check it out next time.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    BrianC636 likes this.
  9. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Cruise control of some sort is a must..
    Love the throttle Meister on my vfr.
    Cheap man's version wrap a hair tie or 2 between throttle housing and grip. Just remember you'll have to roll it forward.

I'd love to spend a month and loop the western states.
    Monument valley, pikes peak, Eastern side of Utah, western sides of Colorado, new mexico, Wyoming, pan handle of Idaho. Yosemite, crater lake, the redwoods in Cali.

Everything else is pretty much flat or rolling hills farm lard, grazing, or high altitude desert.

By Midway across Kansas you will be over 4000' elevation.

Some areas in Colorado and Wyoming will have snow possible till late may. Weather in high elevation can be very crazy. Maybe 70-80s during the day or below freezing at night.. maybe the other way around.

A few other site suggestions.

Lots of dormant volcanoes in NM, az, co.

Us 22 from Casper Wyoming to Idaho falls skims Yellowstone and very scenic. Jackson hole Wyoming is a beautiful town.
    The snake river canyon. Starts as a small stream near Jackson hole. Cuts a huge canyon across Idaho.
    Craters of the moon (Idaho) volcanic rift/flow. Stretches across half of Idaho.

Hot springs, Idaho. Us30

I've seen white out snow In July jackpot nv. On Idaho border.

Near MTN home Idaho is a section of river with a high cliff and hundreds of waterfalls flowing out of the rock. Can be seen from roadway.

Stay out of the brothels on I80 in Nevada. Ok. Just for nastalgic reasons.
    Donna's Ranch. Wells NV i80 exit 352. Turn north cross the RR overpass turn left first dirt drive. Just look for the bright neon lights.

:) :) :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  10. Marid2apterbilt

Wolf Creek pass in Colorado. ?12500'? Hell of a climb in a 18wheeler going east. I wouldn't want to go west down it. Nice parking area with a trail to summit at the top. If your not extremely athletic I'd recommend just reading the signs at the pull off.

11. Marid2apterbilt

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I have a picture somewhere of me and my Commando overlooking the valley there.

13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

What about a fly out to Montana and rent a Royal Enfield from the beeb guy and chill?

I've been wanting to do that.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Not sure I wanna ride an Enfield .

and really kinda looking for that solo thing this year.

no offense

15. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Understood.
    I mostly do solo rides myself.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes sometimes it's nice to just get on a simple stretch of asphalt, veg out inside the helmet, just you, the wind, and the open road, and not really having a certain destination in mind. I think it's a great way to release the stress. Good luck Phil.

beac83 and Phl218 like this.
  17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

?

I rode through huge swatches of reservation land in NM and AZ a couple years ago. I never had any access problems.

Ride through rez areas in Wisconsin also. It’s not as if there’s a gate with a guard at the border of every roadway going into every reservation.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Reported

ClemsonsR6, YamahaRick, 5axis and 2 others like this.
  19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You should write commercials. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

As an old iron bore bullet owner I gotta ask........how are the new models holding up? I gave up on following the brand years ago when the bullets were finally done. Do you deal with the older models or just the clean burn?? I think is what they are called that.....