1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowmobiles?

Discussion in 'General' started by burnham, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Only a solid 7"came last night...:) But it was enough to blanket the trails, and after I was done plowing I got out for a quick 50km ride around the local loop, out to the gas station for some fresh gas and then played around for a bit in the forest. Sleds running a bit rough and boggy coming off idle. It was better at the end of the ride than the start. Might clear up with some use, but will probably have to pull the carbs and go through them. Runs good up top though :).

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Anybody else being bombarded on U-tube by the latest Ski Doo 850 Turbo?

Kinda annoying....

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Hopefully the trails were actually open and you have your OFSC permit;)

4. Dan Dubeau

:oops:1 out of 2.... ;). Even though the groomer was out, there's not enough base. Hopefully we get more soon.

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What is this permit that you speak of and what does it allow?

tony 340 likes this.
  6. zertrider

Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs permit is required to ride on the over 33,000kms of trails in Ontario. All trails in Ontario are volunteer run and permits pay for groomer operation and infrastructure.

R/T Performance and speedluvn like this.
  7. Dan Dubeau

One needs to buy a trial permit for legal access to all the trails in Ontario. If you buy an older sled like I did you get a much cheaper "classic" permit for around $150. Other wise a full season pass is around $280 I think. Ontario's trail network is all just a collection of "clubs" that maintain they're trails and groom them, and most are all interconnected. When you buy a pass, you denote what your local club is (or where you ride the most), and they get a percentage of the monies. Theoretically I could leave my front door, and hop on the local feeder trail at the end of my driveway and ride to anywhere in Ontario. They're all pretty well connected. Realistically for us southerners you're better off trailering up north where they get more snow and the trails aren't red for the entire season.

R/T Performance likes this.
  8. zertrider

Mostly true, but the local club no longer gets a percentage of the permit money. It all goes to the OFSC main office, and then clubs get operational money as they need it. So the clubs up north with trails open longer get more money then the clubs down south with trails thst MAY be open for a couple of weeks. And you can get a regular permit before Nov 1st for $190

9. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Trails opened up here last night. Barely enough snow but it felt good to go for a local rip.

10. Dan Dubeau

Thanks for the clarification. My neighbor explained how it used to work years ago to me, as he was the president of the local club at the time. I didn't realize it was different now. I've wanted to get involved volunteering with the club, but I'm not a fan of the guy who took over when my neighbor died over the way he handled things with his widow. A lot of the other local weren't either.

11. zertrider

Yeah, but you do not even have to go to any of the club meetings to volunteer. I am with the local club here (west of London, Strathroy Snoblizzards) and meetings usually have only 8 to 12 people show up. But there are a ton of guys who just go out and stale and clear trails on their own with not other club involvement. I am now a director with the club, and helped stake about 30kms of trails this season.

12. Dan Dubeau

That's all I want to do ( and have time for). Clear trails, get out and help when I have time. Not interested in the running, or other club duties. I'm already pretty involved with the baseball organization during the summer I need a seasonal vacation from small organization politics lol. I'm going to fire an email off tomorrow.

13. zertrider

Awesome. Hope you find somewhere they can use you.

14. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'd say a factory 2 stroke turbo is a big deal.

I'm not buying a $20k mountain sled anytime soon but binged watched a few of those videos.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

No doubt about the turbo release.

What is actually freaking me out is while I've occasionally viewed a few snowmobile videos (a good time ago!), I didn't expect that every three suggested videos would be about that.

I wonder how much it cost Ski Doo to have UT do that.....

masshole likes this.
  16. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Any of the "free" YT content is viewed with ads/ commercial content. Long story short is that it isn't Ski Doo footing the bill- the YT machine knows what you would click on and very quickly matches it with similar new content that's going viral.

17. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

So I just did my first couple of days on my new sled, what a riot! The conditions in Maine where I'm riding aren't great, but we did hit a few really good trails. I bought all klim gear and so far it's fantastic. I can't ride next week, but after that it's game on.

Razr, acorn27 and Banditracer like this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Welcome to the club. :beer:

Fuck these guys that bitch about winter. :D

burnham likes this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Look here, Mang! Life wouldn’t be as sweet if we couldn’t beotch about something every so often.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

They really are about the most fun machine you'll ever ride.