1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicone, rubber insert, epoxy?

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Jan 24, 2020.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Went to go install a check valve on a very old bathroom sink.. all is good except there is a small crack in the feed line just outside the tile. It juts out enough to where i could apply a dab of something.

I'm talking a drip every min. or so very small.

would a rubber air line piece/ fuel hose/ something with a tight fit inside the pipe be better?

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What's the purpose of the check valve?

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

JB Weld...The answer is always JB Weld....:D

OldGuyOnBlu and pfhenry like this.
  5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Flex Tape

Phl218 and pfhenry like this.
  6. pfhenry

the valve on hot stem is squeaky AF.. already replaced the rubber on that but brass on brass nails on chalkboard still exists...

Its a preventative measure if i break the stem.. so the rest of the house can have water.

It was just a seam on the pipe that thought was a crack... just needed a few more wounds of plumbers tape

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I see your flex tape and raise you a tube of Mighty Putty.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Glad I do my own shitty work :D

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You mean a ball valve ? Check valves restrict flow in one direction
    Can you install a compression fitting on the nub that sticks out? I'd be weary of tapes or sealants

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Without knowing the material of the water line in question, repair suggestions are difficult to make. Old house, galvanized or hard drawn copper. Two different repairs.

beac83 likes this.
  11. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

If it only sticks out a little bit and you do not want to remove tile maybe it’s easier to do a drywall patch and repair it from the other side of the wall.. Then you can replace the pipe and extend it out enough to replace with a new shut off..
    I think you’re replacing a shut off not a check valve.

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If you plan to stay in the place for a while, fix it properly. Any "quick" fix won't last.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

City water pressure is usually around 60psi.

This is no time for a half ass repair.

If the leak is that close to the tile.....there are probably more drips that you aren't seeing.

14. pfhenry

Yea its ball shut off. Our water pressure is kinda high for some reason(even before the city did water main repair) maybe we do need a water pressure regulator adjustment. No leaks at all. I had just under tightened the ball valve at first. It's a pipe thread fitting to compression at the sink.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cut the pipes, get a new valve and put it together with shark bite. Amazing for tight spaces

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That thread title sitting there for a whole weekend and no boob jokes?!?

:confused:

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or disappointed...

17. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Its a new year, so
    2019 reply would have been, “filling plumbers crack” for 500 Alex.