1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So my son.

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Jan 23, 2020.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Left last Wednesday to Ft Leonard Wood south of St Louis for basic training. I'm really struggling with missing him. Tuesday he had about a 45 second call to me.

Today I seen the first picture of him. Any advice to really cope with missing him and dealing with the feelings myself?

He is set to graduate at the end of March, then he will go to Ft Benning for AIT training.
    Army National Gaurd

I is struggling...

SpeedyE and Senna like this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ask the neighbors if you can yell at their kids for a bit until you feel better. :D

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Go throw all your clothes on the floor and fill the sink with dirty dishes.

Pitmom42, khill, tl1098 and 6 others like this.
  5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Take Phl218s advice, Get a big dog that smells, eats a lot and expects you to feed him, and maybe give the dog a beer or a joint every now and then, take him hunting or fishing problem solved

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nice.
    Ft Lost in the Woods.

Spent a lovely cold ass winter there myself.
    If he is only doing basic there it wont be long and you can go see graduation.

Maybe some hookers and blow to pass the time?

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I did FLW, from April to September. Unbearable heat and humidity. The best part of that place is the A-10’s. Brrrrrrrrt!!!

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hookers & blow?

Repeater likes this.
  9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Just know that his day is so busy and regimented that he doesn't have time to know he misses you. And he's making some friends that he'll have for life. I've been in 10 yrs now and still keep in touch with people from basic training. Also he's gonna be in awesome shape when he's finished.

So...he's busy, making friends, getting in shape, eating well, has a safe place to lay his head...he's all good.

Pitmom42, Quicktoy, NemesisR6 and 2 others like this.
  10. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

He called you? And sent pictures? Man he’s living the life! I got a 1 minute call to my mother when I aced the first phase test at Parris Island (trust me, no big accomplishment). He’s good man, no worries.

jasonhise and VFR#52 like this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep. A10's Rock.

I did Nov to April. Effing cold.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

He's having the time of his life, it will be over before you know it. My son in law just graduated Airborne and is coming home tomorrow. My daughter is happy about that, but she said every day when they talked it was a constant stream of how much fun he was having.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son followed his girlfriend to Pennsylvania a year and a half ago and it tore me apart when he left. It still upset me when we'd go visit or he'd come home and then leave again, but the last few times have been much easier. Currently they were due to come home for good in June but there may be a change of plans and she'll stay there for 4 more years. I'm actually starting to have some negative feelings towards her and it's a very strong possibility that she'll be my daughter in law, so I need to chill.

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

See, if you had raised your son to be a proper asshole like I did mine you would be glad he was out of your hair and coming back in a few weeks...:D
    Ehh, that’s bullshit though, Kris was busy with school and stuff and I didn’t see him for a couple of months and it bothered me anyway.

I was once told by a father that lost his son, “I only wish I had your problems”... That made the issues we were dealing with at the time trivial, even though they were life changing and career changing for Kris.
    We can be grateful we still have sons, there are those that have really lost sons and I don’t want to imagine how tough that would be.

I’ve found spending a few days on a bike really helps me deal with things, one Friday from Hell a few years ago, a month after We had buried my mother, My girl and I split up and I just threw a bag on the back of the bike and took off, told Kris I was leaving for a while and asked him to take care of the dogs. I left and was gone a solid week, 2500 miles later I got home in a much much better place.
    It may not be bikes but do what you enjoy while he is gone and it will help you through.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    lazlo, MachineR1, beechkingd and 3 others like this.
  15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

He didn't send the picture. It was on the basic training photo website.

16. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Try to imagine how much he is growing as a person, and possibly experiencing many things for the first time. He will return to you unlocked and completely capable. Best to you sir

FZ1guy and Phl218 like this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Lots of pron? ;-)

Give it time. You’ll be fine. You’re little bird is leaving the nest. It’s not easy. But it will get better. Life is about change. You’re relationship with him will change.

Your boy left, a young man will return. And you will be even prouder of who he is.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

friend of mine lost his sone (age 16) two years ago.

makes all the kid related stuff seem trivial.

hang in there. it will just make his return so much better.

SuddenBraking and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

As everyone else said, he will be fine, he's doing an admirable thing, something to be proud of. Is this your first child leaving? It is hard to deal with. Are you married to his Mom, how's she dealing with it? Our oldest daughter, 23 now, moved 1200 miles away for school, and fell in love with San Antonio. My wife cried herself to sleep for the first 30 days. They FaceTime call at least once a day. We still miss her a lot.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I know where she's coming from. My son and I have an incredibly tight relationship, but he calls his mom on his way home from work every single day.