1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct injection fuckery

Discussion in 'General' started by rice r0cket, Jan 20, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s inaccurate. Not everything has EGR.

2. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

No it does not, pcv only.

No it is not turbo engine.
    Her car is IS 250 and Power mode is on all the time. If you drove Lexus or any car with that option you notice car is rev happy and it usually shifts way higher in rpm range. That may be one ot the reasons why we didn't have issue with carbon deposits on the valves.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

do you just spray this stuff in through the air filter boot ?

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think my wife's C300 coupe is direct injection. Gawd that things sounds like a diesel waiting to blow up.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Does it have knock sensors?

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

sea foam spray goes in after the MAF sensors

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

Beware, timing chain issues can arise with that motor, usually the guides.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No idea, but she runs 91. They are just loud motors.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks... she puts about 5K miles a year on it, so not a worry.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

might even be ticking injectors

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Could be. When it was nearly new I took it to the dealer and told them I thought it was about to blow up. They had it for several days and told me everything was normal, LOL.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Reminds me when I first bought Tyler's SV650 with flatslides. I thought something was wrong with the valve adjustment or bad cams, but someone that knew flatslides on SV's told me that was normal. Fortunately it was before I wasted a bunch of time. LOL

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Got a bank of 'em on my FZR1040. They sound just like a Ducati dry clutch with an open cover...a bucket of spoons. :crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Correct. I know of some Honda 4 cylinder motors with i-VTEC that use the variable intake cam timing to overlap intake with exhaust, eliminating the EBR valve.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Right, it's just an emissions piece. If the engine can pass the current emissions testing without it, they don't put it on. Pentastar from Chrysler doesn't have one, and a few other i recall never having one.

Cleaning the valves is pretty straight forward, take the intake off, rotate the engine (in the direction it runs) and just get the valves to close on the cylinder you're working on. Spray your favorite carbon cleaning solution in there and go to town with a brass bristled brush etc.. I use Gm top engine cleaner and let it soak for a bit while i do other shit and come back and it falls off. Or if you have someone that can do the walnut blasting go for it. If you could make a small enclosure you could probably dump a bit in the runner and close it around a blow gun nozzle and let it rip and do a half decent job too. Don't need to make a mountain of a mole hill, it's a simple process.

16. By the Beach

By the Beach Member

Most the these posts have conflated two related but separate issues; PCV systems and IVD (intake valve deposits) in direct injection engines.
    The problem unique to the F150 3.5L ecoboost is with the PCV system.
    The early generation F150 ecoboost had a poorly designed PCV system. Under certain operating conditions this allowed crankcase gases to be drawn into the clean side of the PCV system and directly onto the backside of the intake valves (where only clean filtered air or air/fuel should be).
    Furthermore, the early gen intercoolers tended to accumulate condensation and pool small quantities of water, which unfortunately, could be drawn into the engine through the tiny but expensive turbos.
    This resulted in many owners experiencing misfires and power loss.
    A catch can is a simple inexpensive DIY fix for these problems.
    A catch can will do nothing to prevent IVD in a direct injection engine of any make model or manufacturer.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

My buddy had one with 18k on it that had the tensioners and guides go bad and his mom has the newer body style. She had been telling the dealer about a noisy start since the day she bought it, they blew her off. 18 months later and she brings it for an oil change and acted surprised at the noise. They rebuilt the whole front end of the motor. This is a $60k C class. She will never buy a Mercedes again.

These aren’t the only cases I’ve heard of, I’d keep an eye on it. They’re actually quiet motors when running correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro