1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Enclosed Trailer interior painting

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Jan 17, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Trust me. Interior latex paints absorb moisture, the moisture freezes, the paint shrinks.

This is an extreme case. The white finish is bonding primer, so the paint had the absolute best chance at adhering. This is an unheated workspace, so moisture and temperature weren’t controlled.

4F4C3AF6-24DD-4771-A485-66980933FCF2.jpeg
    BA098F24-E305-4484-9AB5-DB5899AC0A7C.jpeg

t11ravis likes this.
  2. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I used herculiner and it is the cats ass! It took three kits if I remember correctly but I also did 3’ up the walls as well. The wood just soaks it up. I can spill oil all over it and leave it for weeks then clean it up when I feel like it with brake clean. Like when you develop a fork seal leak on the way home from a race and don’t feel like messing with it immediately that night then put it off until the night before the next race lmao

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'd use Kilz on the walls before paint.

gapman789 likes this.
  4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yikes. Yeah, I never had that issue.

ducnut likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

cav115 and Kyle Brosius like this.
  6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Kilzit on the walls and floor. Also makes it easier for the paint to cover the plywood in 1 coat.
    Deck paint w/no slip on the floor. From Lowes.

Been on there 3 yrs and holding up great.

trailer white.jpg

YamahaRick and ducnut like this.
  7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Same set-up on my 6x10. Kilz primer on walls and floor then Behr epoxy on the floor with white egg shell on the walls.

Attached Files:

8. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I bought a used trailer that had hauled two-stroke dirtbikes and never had the floor painted How would you prep the spooge stains? I'm thinking clean with acetone or similar then go over with Kilz until they quit bleeding through the Kilz then topcoat.

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right

iagsxr likes this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

If it is oil, Kilz will not stop it from bleeding through. Had the same problem in an 8.5x18 trailer I had. I ended up putting down 1/4” plywood over the entire floor.

iagsxr likes this.
  11. anupe

anupe Searching for consistency

D,

Not sure what you’re looking to pay for the 7X14. I might let this puppy go. Give me a call. At the very least I can share with you what paint I used.

Allen 52B91026-FF16-4D33-8C8E-97981A0363ED.jpeg

KneeDragger_c69, TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

PM me your number Allen please.

13. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Speaking of carpet on the walls, anyone ever try the grey indoor outdoor carpet that Home Depot keeps in stock?

14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

How about riveting up some aluminum flashing instead? Should be faster and more durable.

15. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

D,

are you going to get that r1 out this year?

T

16. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Hopefully getting my new 6x12 in 9 days. Any updates on what was used?

I’m trying to prioritize.... insulation then paint walls and floor or put down diamond/coin flooring and paint the walls and go back in later and insulate.

anupe.....I like what you did.

17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Insulate first so it's done, walls and ceiling. You'll be glad you did.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I wish I had seen this sooner. You aren’t racing enough classes in minis. Take the trailer money and buy another bike/bikes to put in the Toyhauler.

This has the added benefit of not having to finish out the new trailer and figure out where to park it, insure it, buy tires for it, etc. . :D

It’s always fun to race more classes and so cheap with minis compared to big bikes. For awhile we were bringing 5 bikes. NSR50, RS65, RS85/150 and something for me to ride. Lolol

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

60° Ultra White lacquer throughout, or GTFO.

20. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Thanks! Can you paint the floors and then later add the diamond/coin flooring and not be an issue with vinyl not sticking?

I've already got sheets of Luan for the ceiling.