1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose Closing Most of it's Stores Worldwide

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 17, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Back in the day, we were all so much more limited on opportunities. All we had was what the local stereo store offered. The access just wasn’t there and, for sure, we didn’t have YT experts to learn us everything. :D

2. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I've drank the kool aid ant it tastes pretty good. Still have my Grandpas 901's. Have my original 201's I bought when I was 18 in the garage and rock them daily. The Bose system in the 01 C5 sounded killer. I have the headphones and soundlinkII speaker. I like em.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

They had lots of stores in outlet malls and mini stores in airports in the late 90s. Then of course on QVC etc.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You can get okay sound from wifi with the right gizmos and files (192 khz). Bluetooth is what makes sucky sound imo.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  5. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I've had a Bose Wave radio/CD player for (I don't know how many) years now and really like it. Amazing sound from such a small box.

ducnut likes this.
  6. It’s funny when people buy all this fancy stuff but the method they either send stuff to it or play on it is absolute crap. I wired up my mid / lower level Denon/ Klipsch stuff up in our bonus room last night. It’s actually kind of a kids play room / game room/ small man cave. Good speaker wire and connectors aren’t cheap but it’s something a lot of people seem to not factor into cost of things as well. I spent way too long adjusting each speaker to that’s it’s a seamless sound. Nothing worse than going to someone’s house who has all kinds of high end stuff because “it’s the best” type of thing and example all you hear is the rear speakers. Not too hard to calibrate speakers these days and since my receiver is a bit older it doesn’t have an auto calibrate mic but I have one I hook into my laptop and it makes mapping a tad easier. End of the day you also have to set them up for now you like it to sound. My wife doesn’t like “full effect” surround but I do. Saving Private Ryan to me is always a good tbing to put on to test movies in surround.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think Klipsch is almost made for Denon stuff. Yamaha receivers also, maybe more so but it's been years since I spent much time auditioning stuff.

I liked the Klipsch stuff but found the "horn" a bit harsh. I'm sure I could have worked to clean that up but just never wanted to spend the time to do it.

I swpped out the Rotel for my Onkyo receiver last night in the basement set up. Just works a bit better in a 5.1 set up with the space, room shape and more movies than music. The Rotel just moved upstairs into an Oppo, Rotel CD player, Rotel receiver and B&W book shelves setup.

I'm itching to do a "simple" stereo set up with all new gear. :D

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Me too. I have some fairly high end stuff, but from 15 years ago. A simple setup of mid range late model stuff would probably sound better and take up less room, for not that much money. That's one of the things I'd like to do when I secure steady income again.

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I worked for Abt Electronics doing custom home theater installs when I lived in Chicago.
    Salesmen got a huge commision for pushing Bose.
    None of their shit that I installed was anywhere near the money customers paid for it compared to the other brands we sold in the same price range.
    We had some pretty knowledgeable audiophiles working in the department. None of them were fans.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Then you have room acoustics and speaker imaging to deal with. Even speaker placement can make a huge difference. I’m always moving my front towers around, toe in, spacing between. My speakers have four 3” rear ports and moving them away from the wall really helps the bass. If you can place your speakers or subs in a corner helps tremendously.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think Yamaha/Klipsch is a good combo, Emotiva amps pair well with Klipsch. They did have a horn stigma to their name, “honky”. The intro of room correction software built into the electronics have helped tremendously. They sure have a wonderful clear midrange though, Paul Klipsch said that music lived in the midrange. He was good friends with Amir Bose, but their sound reproduction theories were completely different.

ducnut likes this.
  12. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

My setup is Denon and klipsch. I did in walls because the wife didn’t want tower speakers anymore but I’m actually pretty happy with them. I built out over the fireplace and basically built speaker boxes for them instead of just shoving them in the wall. Using room correction and dsp’s it’s much easier to get the sound you’re looking for. I can’t run just the inwalls for proper 2ch listening but when I add in the subs it fills in what you loose from a proper tower, and then some.

I’d like to have a proper 2ch setup in the future but for now, having the music in my living room is great. My kids hear so much different music compared to when I was a kid. It used to be you listened to whatever record/tape your parents had and that was basically it. Now with streaming services you can let them hear everything from Bethoven to Miley Cyrus, or not.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I kinda wish I had my old Marantz 1060 back.

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn, that's a bit spendy for 45 plus years old.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Save your money and spend it on something that really matters. You need to drop thousands of dollars on copper conductors with certain brand names on them because they somehow transmit electrical signals better than the same copper conductors without certain brand names on them.

There is more snake oil in audio than medicine from the 1800's.

Phl218 and R Acree like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Man, you've got that right.

Back in the day I had Discwashers, dbx filters, linear turntable, Monster cables you name it. Always chasing the perfect sound. Now I have a 400W Onkyo going into Cornwalls hooked up to an iPhone. My ears ring so bad, what the hell does it matter:D

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And that's the very reason the arguments about what sounds good and what doesn't are almost useless. Clean reproduction of sound is important but with everyone's hearing being so different it would be hard to get 100 people to all agree on what sounds good and what doesn't. I care about it being non-distorted and pleasant to listen to for hours. Being able to accurately reproduce the location of an instrument in a certain location on a stage is less so these days. Almost nothing is recorded that way anyway. You are only getting the engineers idea of what that would sound like.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    ducnut and rd400racer like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I stopped chasing the dragon about the time the tinnitus set in. Right now it a mix of Denon, JBL, Braun, Boston Acoustics and some other stuff I don't remember.

20. Spot on. What is awesome about this bonus room i have in my house and the way I have things situated is there are two windows spaced about 12’ from each other that are set back about 2.5’. I was moving my stuff around finding as close of a balance between location and looks and what a different placing them about 1’ in front of the windows (but still below the actual window). These were my towers, subs are in two corners, sur front and sides in corners and rears straight in back.