1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any history buffs?

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveThompson, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Excellent book, excellent adaptation on I want to say Masterpiece Theater.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Buell1965 likes this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

This is an excellent book. It will change your mind on everything you may have believed about US Grant. Certainly one the best generals in US history and tied (at least and better INHO) with Eisenhower as far as generals turned president go. No one will ever approach Washington so I didn't try to compare him to GW.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  4. NemesisR6

Author of this book has also done excellent autobiographies on Washington and Hamilton.

5. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I would recommend the Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane concerning the Civil War. Probably the best book written about the First World War is All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

Buell1965 likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wait...what??????

NemesisR6 and Yzasserina like this.
  7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Chernow is great. Just finished his biography of Washington, it was great and turned him into a real living breathing human being. And it was a great history of the Revolutionary War too—and how tough that war was.

I read his Grant biography a few months ago. Eye opening about the war and Reconstruction. And again, it went far beyond prevailing impressions to humanize Grant and alter our impressions of him.

Recently went to a secondhand book store and bought several Bruce Catton Civil War histories, presently reading one. There’s nobody more authoritative on that subject.

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So many great recommendations here... Next up for me is A World Undone by G.J. Meyer, WW1, highly recommended by a history buff friend.

Can't pass up this opportunity to recommend AMC's Turn: Washington's Spies, based on Alexander Rose's work.

9. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

30 years of metal detecting with a horde of really cool stuff . Extensive civil war library with no less than 150 volumes of historical and a little fiction added in and I would recommend the red badge of courage and killer Angel's. Movies to see would be gone with the wind and outlaw jose whales. Ken burns and his documentary is outstanding along with shelby foot .

10. Motofun352

If you want to listen to history on WWI, Blue print for Amegedon by Dan Carlin.

zjay likes this.
  11. zjay

zjay Well-Known Member

Great podcast.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Outlaw Josey Wales? That was post-Civil War and only covered the Missouri/Kansas part of the war in limited flashbacks.

Buell1965 likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Endeavor to persevere.

rd400racer likes this.
  14. Buell1965

15. NemesisR6

Lol, whoops.

16. Buell1965

With the battle of franklin tn which all but sealed the Confederate cause in late Nov 1864 and Sherman's March to the sea and struggling lee in the north which culminated at appomattox in april 1965 with the surrender the theater farther west was still having a bit of a delay in regards to coming to grips with the outcome . Jose Wales to me captured the essence of the consummate last rebel . During the waning months of the war it became apparent the agricultural based south was losing to the industrial strength of the union and so the desperation of the Confederate army and the aftermath of war is captured very well with our unsung hero jose wales..plus is just a great movie.

17. Buell1965

18. Buell1965

US Grant and if you didn't know was not his real name but he did have some redeeming qualities for me at least . Ulysses S. Grant was knowed to have his favorite whiskey and in copious amounts handy and was said to consume his belly full before any and all battles which he later said "gave him the will to do what needed to be done" .

19. condon66

condon66 Member well known

We visited the Antietam Battlefield and museum last weekend. It is a different feel for sure as compared to reading or watching a video about what hell those people went through.

20. Motofun352

According to Chernow Grant was not the alcoholic that history has made out to be.