1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patio shade

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Our patio/living room space faces west, so gets demolished with sun in the afternoon. We are looking to add some solar shade.
    We went to Home Depot and got a quote for interior shades to cover the sliding doors, about 12 feet in total, 3 panels, automated, got a quote for over 2k. But doesnt allow us to use the patio, just helps with the living room area
    Then figured we would just do drop down shade on the patio, 3 panels, it is a big-ish area ~12 foot high, ~30 linear feet total across 3 sections, quote came to over 11k.
    Are these drop down shades really this expensive? Or are we just looking at the wrong options. We do want automated, so we understand price would come with that, but didn't think it would be that much.

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Blinds.com
    We saved a bunch of money there over using HD or the like. Granted, we weren't looking automated, etc, so YRMV.

3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I see a bunch of these around here. They aren't automated but easy enough to put up/take down with the seasons. Some people offset them at different heights/angles to make it look more interesting and hang lights under them, etc. https://mightycovers.com/product/sunbrella-right-angle-triangle-shade-sails/

You could talk to your local window tint place about installing some on your windows to filter out the heat/UV rays.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

man sounds like you need a sweet Sunsetter awning...as seen on TV

:D

Or just by an awing for an RV and screw it to the side of your house. Nothing redneck about that.
    :D

Rico888, ducnut and beechkingd like this.
  5. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Is your application covered above? https://shadesails.com/ might be worth considering if you have/can build proper mounting points.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

And there are the cost savings.

7. Pittenger5

Yeah, its covered above, but not very deep, so it doesnt do much for a low setting sun.

8. omatter34

:moon:
    I meant apple's to apple's we saved a lot, but no idea if the savings would be as good on automated or if they even sell automated.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I built a pergola for a guy, he had something similar to this installed on top, they were very nice. They were painted to resemble a wave.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I read this as Potato Shade and came here to see what it is.

I should probably get some food.

11. omatter34

^Fixed:D

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Now it’s it’s fixed. :beer:

13. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Have you considered solar screens? We had our whole house done for a little under $1k and it made a huge difference.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you have a tent maker in the area, go talk to them. We have one close and they make the frame, sew whatever/however canopy you want, and install it. There stuff is REALLY nice.

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Plant few trees

16. Pittenger5

Thats what we thought we were looking for, do you have an example of what you used?

17. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Tint the windows

19. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Jesus Ritchie,

You afraid your no soul ginger ass is going to get sun burnt you little bitch!

tony 340 likes this.
  20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My parents put a sunsetter on their place. They got it from Sam Club at a decent price with a recommend local installer. It is power and even has a sensor that will automatically retract it if the winds get too high. They face south, so still get a fair amount of sun, but not from a really low angle like you will get facing west. They like it a lot and was well below that $11k figure you quote above, but price will somewhat depend on the size.

G 97 likes this.