1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here vacations without their kids?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 16, 2020.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Do it. Get a lil quality time with mama bear.

cav115 likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

6 and 8 really?
    Damn helicopter parents. Stock the fridge with hot pockets, pizza rolls and mt dew. Have a neighbor check in on them every few weeks and take the eff off. Or be ready for them to live in your basement when they are 42 and 44.

My parents put me on a plane from CA to MI every summer starting when I was 4 1/2. By the time I was 8 I could navigate DFW, DEN, SLC and ORD like a pro.

Drop em off at grandmas and hit the road. they aint gonna die of SIDS.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Are you sending this post from your parent’s basement? :Poke:

Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nope.

They dont have a basement....:D

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well dogs I can understand, kids can go to a kennel. :D

6. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

We do! Ours are 6 and 4 now and have been doing 1-2 adult trips per year since they were 3 and 1. Before that, they weren't in school/daycare so it was a lot to ask of friends or family to watch them for more than a night away. Now the kidless trips could be 2 days or 10 days. We Skype or Facetime them once every day or two, so that we can check in and get our good mornings or good nights. It is definitely good for the relationship as well and thankfully my wife is able to enjoy the time away also, but we do have some friends who just "can't" do it.

I also agree that if you are forgoing trips with the family to go as a couple, then that's not good. If you have the financial ability and the time away from work, etc to afford you all of those opportunities, then go for it.

Ps..let me know when you go to the Bahamas, the wife and I have been talking about another adult trip there.:D

cav115 likes this.
  7. Banditracer

I suppose, mine wasn't like that, she didn't mind a break.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Every year when my mom visits, the wife and I are off for a couple of days.

even though it’s not socially accepted or understood on a broad scale, a good family is based on healthy (sane and with fulfilled needs) individual moms and dads. These guys form the couple that, with the couple recognized as team with its priorities, takes care of the kids.
    Problem is nowadays, parents give themselves up as individuals, give up partnerships and set the little princes and princesses as leaders and “all there is to live fors’ “ in their lives. And then they wonder...

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

AMEN BROTHER!

EDIT - the in-laws live a mile away, every few weeks Raina stays with them a day or two.

best thing you can do for you and mommy is take a break (when feasible).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Banditracer likes this.
  10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Heck yes, leave and enjoy time with your wife.

Banditracer likes this.
  11. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

:stupid::bow::beer:

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Got a 8/5 y.o. here. Did a week in Jamaica 3 years ago, and a week in Punta Cana last Feb. As someone said, if you trust the rents with the kid, go enjoy. Can’t lose sight of why you’re together in the first place. You were a couple before the kids, and you’ll be a couple after them. Don’t lose sight of the reason for all of it ... you two.

cav115 and Phl218 like this.
  13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I don't know what my wife was like then. I'd guess that she surely would have went. I didn't take a vacation for about 15 years during that time. Maybe that's why she grew to hate me. :crackup:

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My only kid is 32. I was snipped at 25. :beer:

Scotty87 likes this.
  15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

My wife and I do plenty of in town overnights in some nice resorts here in Arizona (probably 10 a year) and we do at least 2 long weekend trips by ourselves every year. I have 5 kids aged 8-18. We try to separate the kids to different family while we're gone so it doesnt overwhelm anyone that's watching them. One might spend a night at a friends, one at an Uncles/cousins or grandparents. The kids enjoy it and the wife and I get to sleep late, fancy dinner, catch an event or just fuck like bunnies.

Boman Forklift, cav115 and jrsamples like this.
  16. Banditracer

This is important. :D

ducnut likes this.
  17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

We've done it both ways. We took them flying to California and Hawaii when they were 3/1 and 5/3, and on our various driving vacations, including MotoGP in Austin last year when they were 7/5. However, for Brno in 2018 they stayed with grandparents for the 10-12 days.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It is, actually. Who doesn't like to get sloppy at the bar, and then get sloppy in the sack?

It's tough with kids.

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Uh... Phrasing?

scottn, Senna and Chino52405 like this.
  20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

We have a couple of single lady friends we plan to use as vacation babysitters. They're both here with the kids a lot and I'd buy another flight and some food/drinks for the extra adult hands at airports and a night or two of total freedom. All family is 4 hour drive or a flight away and all less than ideal for one reason or another.

Otherwise, likely just try to get some nights away in NOLA whenever we visit her family in Louisiana.