1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here vacations without their kids?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 16, 2020.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

As a couple, with young kids, 8/6?

Some friends are looking to travel to the Bahamas, without kids, for 5 nights.

I'm struggling with it, for personal reasons, but realize they will be fine. And, they just got back from Disney Orlando, we're talking about going out West for spring break to see the Grand Canyon, stay with friends in Phoenix, and possibly trek over to Disneyland, so they certainly wouldn't be going without.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

If you're cool with their keepers, then go for it. They are probably old enough to handle your absence. Have they spent the night with other family before? If they enjoy the keepers, it will be like a vacation for them too.

cav115 likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why? No grandparents? No uncles/aunts? You have to leave them at a kennel?

Phl218 likes this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We dont do it. Our girls are ours for the long ride,so we are fine not doing adult vacations. We've even dragged them backpacking through Scotland.

Dragginass likes this.
  5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Also, if you like to camp, there are some western spots without crowds that they won't forget. Although 6 is still a little bit young.

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My wife said she wouldn't want to do it when our daughter was a newborn, but she changed her mind and we went to Banff last fall while she stayed with grandparents. It was great for us to get away and and she had fun being spoiled with them so it was a win-win. She's only 2 so it's a little different, but for us it worked out great.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

A kid less get away can do the parents alot of good.

beechkingd and Phl218 like this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Depends on the wife, right? Some of them are so focused on being mom with kids that age that they can't have a good time.

bacolmm likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My sister recently tried to put a three-hour flight between her and her one-year-old daughter for five days. She lasted two days on that beach before she changed her travel reservation and took the first flight home.:crackup:

bacolmm, Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

1 or 2 nights fairly local when they are in their teens isn't a big deal.......but im still not in favour of doing anything longer or farther.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Huh. These exact responses are exactly whats going on in my head.

Thanks, I think...

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My only kid is 22.

Responses like this are what absolutely reinforces my decision to have a vasectomy as a single man when I was 37.

They’ll be fine man. Your commitment to your kids is commendable, but you still have to have some couple time. I’m not saying this applies to anyone in this thread, but I know two women in particular (one my sister) who’s entire identity and interest in life is being ‘mom’. I just don’t how that’s long term sustainable. Not necessarily the mom thing, but just putting all your chips in one basket. Same as when someone makes their career their entire identity. What happens when you retire? What happens when the kids grow up and move out?

bacolmm, SuddenBraking and pscook like this.
  13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Kids that age should do fine with relatives or friends, it gives them some independence

If your kids like the outdoors, skip Disneyland and take them to the redwoods, or Yosemite

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

No kids, so every vacation is kidless. :clap:

scottn likes this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! It ain’t worth changing traveling plans

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Kids don’t need vacations, because they have no stress or responsibilities.

I take my kids on trips to do things, but i would never fly them to the Bahamas...

17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Me, every year.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hell we won't even leave the dogs or kennel them to go on vacation so one of us is always home.

j cal likes this.
  19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

YES! Absolutely travel without them!!!

This is probably going to come off a bit sappy but I think one of the best things you can do for your kids is show them a strong marriage. The kids know they are top priority but once every week or two my wife and I have a date WITHOUT them.

Also every year we have a family trip that is based around something for the kids then another trip where they go to Grandmas and we get to be just husband and wife for a few days instead of mom and dad. We’ve gone to Vegas a handful of times and even Mexico. Works for us YMMV.

NemesisR6, Wingnut and Funkm05 like this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

My folks went to the South Pacific for 21 days when I was in preschool and look how I turned out. Ok maybe not the best example but I was just fine and well looked after. Refreshed parents are a good thing.

TurboBlew, RRP, Phl218 and 2 others like this.