1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb shit you've accidentally done at the track.

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Jan 13, 2020.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Was at Grattan for a WERA round. Middle of summer.....Hot, allergy season, sneezing my ass off...took 2 benadryl. Was chilling out in the infield by the jump and bowl, waiting for my last race, sitting in the grass, full leather....Next thing i know, i'm sitting up, disoriented.....and as i'm watching the bikes race around, I suddenly realize "THAT"S MY RACE!!"

So pissed. Took leathers off. Loaded up and drove 6 hrs home. I was on a 1000, so could only race 2 races. I got 1 in that wknd.

2. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

That don't look too bad. Remember Homestead in 2000?

[​IMG]

https://www.lrrsracing.com//photo_memories/homestead,_fl_2000.htm

3. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I'm very surprised that I haven't seen any, "left my bike key at home" posts.

Not that I'm guilty of that or anything...

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

:crackup:

I did make it halfway to BHF my first year racing and realized the same thing Eric! lol!

EDIT - went keyless with everything not long after that...:D

E Reed likes this.
  5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Guilty. It was my first race weekend after completing the riding school. Realized it in the morning before tech. I tried to hotwire the bike but it didn't work. The key was only an hour away so I was able to retrieve it but I was late getting the bike teched and missed all of practice. My first time on the track was for the warmup lap. I've never forgotten my key since.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Post 23

7. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

took my gear and FZR400 to tech. Came back to my trailer and my buddy was suiting up to ride my Bimota.
    I offered to take it to tech while he was getting ready. Not wearing my gear, most importantly my helmet, I rode about 50ft of the 75 I needed to and touched the front brakes which are waaaay stronger than the 88 FZR brakes. The short "S" turn I needed to make was my downfall....literally.
    Left in a helicopter after a prolonged period of unconsciousness.
    Four bleeding spots on my brain which got displaced a bit to a side, ten fractured vertebrae, broken ribs and collarbone and other miscellaneous breaks and bruises. Hospital stay and PT were not happy moments. At least what I remember....:)

New Arai helmet (I have been through 5) and nice new Dainese D-Air leathers unhurt as they were in the trailer. Dumb as shit.
    Wear your helmet to tech if you are going to ride your bike there. And strap it.
    And yes I know you are too good to crash in the pits. I've been riding 55 years. I had that same false confidence.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shit, that's quite a bit of damage for a short/slow pit ride.

Did the bike have a bomb and exploded?

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

No shit! The head injury is easy to understand. Doesn’t take much and an awkward fall and thump will definitely do it. But the other shit kinda blows my mind.

Pixelator likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Head injuries are no joke. You should see the first email he sent me after getting out of the hospital. He was not yet ready to use a computer!

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Watched a guy at Blackhawk do this on a literbike on the way back from tech, spun up at less than 5mph and highsided him to the moon.

Left in the flashy box. Total bummer.

12. redtailracing

Oh I'm well aware. Just saying I know how easy it is to get one. You could fall off your bike sitting perfectly stationary and smack your noodle hard enough to do some serious damage if you're unlucky. It's the other shit I can't figure. That much broken stuff had to have some speed involved. Can't help but go damn dude, how fast were you going in the pits?

13. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

A trackday organization lost one of its control riders to this. He was testing his bike in a parking lot, grabbed a hand-full of front brake, went over and cracked his head open. He died in the hospital. Shit was tough to process.

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I highsided pretty violently one time, broke both feet, but the bike was fine. Another time I was wheeling it out of the trailer and caught my flip flop on the door wire and dropped it on it's side. Tweaked forks, broke brake lever. Head injuries are a bitch though, I feel your pain...

15. redtailracing

At first I read this as you were wheelie-ing it out of the trailer and was like "damn this dude likes to arrive in style"

Killswitch and ScottyRock155 like this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Would have ended up with the same result if I wheelied it out of there too. I SUCK at wheelies, always have. :).

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid::D

18. redtailracing

Same here. Got my first dirtbike at 5 and have rode in some capacity ever since. Never learned how to wheelie though. Never cared. Love going fast. Couldn't care less about doing tricks though.

19. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Even at a near-standstill, you can get high-sided *hard*. Dropping onto concrete / asphalt / a pile of steel and plastic bike parts from 10 feet in the air is dropping from 10 feet in the air, whether you're doing 5 or 205.

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

IIRC, a British GP racer was killed in the 1960s when he crashed while riding his bike in the pits to inspection. Without a helmet.