1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 14, 2020.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you dont necessarily need a QC setup. You could improvise with some pitbull tire wedges & homemade captive spacers.
    The top 5 are most likely going to get 3 laps & 3 pitstops on you... but if you can whittle 1 or even 2 may put you in a good finishing position depending on race conditions. It takes some practice and coordination for that event. Youre basically competing against the best in the biz so there is no shame in putting it out there and trying to compete on a shoestring. I know the team Ive been apart of has been doing it 5yrs...lol

2. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Actually same price has you stated.
    For some reason, thought way more...
    This race is very expensive loll

Oh ya... I didn't want to cut my bottom forks to fit it.
    Don't ask me why, just have a hard time modifying that stuff for a one off race.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  3. KneeDragger_c69

Yes I know I'll be racing with the fastest of the fastest.
    I don't plan nor claim to finish anywhere near the top 10-15.
    But if I can mustard up 15-20... would be nice.
    That being said, I'm mostly there for the experience of doing the Daytona 200 :)

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  4. Now yall did it.

Que the "its a club race" debate.

(10 more pages)

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. KneeDragger_c69

Well fastest of the fastest that dare to wanna do it ;)
    lol just teasing...

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's extremely expensive. The year my son ran AMA, fortunately he wasn't old enough, 16, for Daytona in 2012. We were trying to do the best we could on our limited budget. So when talking to the motor builder, he told me if we did Daytona that we should expect to rebuild the motor after that weekend. We started the season with two fresh engines. He said without Daytona, we could probably make it the entire season on those 2 engines without rebuilding until the season was over.....that is what we did.

His second AMA season, be broke his collarbone at WERA Vegas, when a slow rider checked up as Tyler was coming through the field, so luckily for my budget that kept us from making Daytona that year too. Funny thing is, that slow rider isn't slow any longer, it was Tyler's buddy Jason Aguilar.:crackup:

TurboBlew and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Nah its more like a Purse Fight with Motorbikes... granted $250,000 worth of purse...lol

8. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Look for the relationship between wind, gearing, and draft. Keep in mind that where you run on the banking effectively changes the gearing. If you run up at the top, the bike is leaned over less, so the gearing is slightly taller. If you run at the bottom, the bike is leaned over more. The contact patch is farther over on the side, so the gearing is slightly lower. You can use this to your advantage by running high in Nascar 2 and lower in Nascar 4 or vice versa depending on the wind. Drafting is a BIG DEAL. Don't underestimate the effect!

9. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Are you calling Billy big-boned ? :D

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I was speaking in a more philosophical manner. Lol.

bacolmm likes this.
  11. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

In the 200? No but I've been racing for I guess on and off like 10 or so years in the spring and fall down there. First on a R6 then on a SV. I was referring to the shit show a couple of years ago and folks getting DQ's for an improper airbox or filter or whatever. There are threads here regarding that. Hats to anyone who has done it. I know a good number of folks who have competed and done relatively well. The 200 is no joke. It takes a toll physically, mentally and very very hard on the equipment. Good luck and kudos for going for it! Who knows you might see me scratching around down that way this spring with my clapped out SV in the back of the pack!

12. KneeDragger_c69

Do it.... DO it !!! :)
    Would be nice to meet fellow BEEBs :)

I think I might need a extra trailer, just bring down the cold ones...:D

On another note might have found all the help I need. If they don't fall through, I'll have 7 crew members, included my gf in the mix.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Awesome, yeah even if I don't race some of the other races going on over the weekend, I try and make it down for the 200 and spectate and hang around the garage area and shoot the shit and hang out for the day. It's nice to be so close that I can swing down. Cheers!

14. KneeDragger_c69

Plz swing by my pit... I always like to shoot the sh!t with fellow racers and fans.
    I use to be the guy walking around the pits and enjoying hanging out in the pits. Nothing better then to be in the middle of the action... well almost. Action is in out pit row!

dantheman likes this.
  15. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Herrin racing per his IG

evakat, cav115 and JBall like this.
  16. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

The first year we ran it was 1996. We didn't have any fancy equipment and the bike had a slight throttle glitch. I told our rider to just go out there and do his laps. Let attrition work for him. Mind you, there were six AMA factory teams, five World Superbike factory teams and Scott Russell with a one off Lucky Strike four stroke ride. In light of the competition, we were very happy with a 19th place finish.

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There’s a pretty high profile awesome rider that hasn’t announced yet.

And that same rider might be riding both events in the same day.

I might know more but I’ll let it play out.

Just know he’s a threat to win BOTH events he enters....

18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Please say Spies. Please say Spies.

19. KneeDragger_c69

That is impressive, as the field back then was solid.... Not taking anything away from the riders now a day.

Heard Miguel Duhamel was riding an R6...

Blackbeener likes this.
  20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I have a pic of a friend of mine Chad Simons racing the 2002 200 with Miguel on the Woody Woodpecker factory Honda Rc51. They are going through the west end horse shoe and you can see Miguel’s upper rubbing against the swingarm of my bike. It’s awesome lol.

SpeedyTide and KneeDragger_c69 like this.