1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to Travel to Dubai?

Discussion in 'General' started by MHR-Speedy, Jan 8, 2020.

?

Do you go?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. joec

joec brace yourself

If geddy Lee ain't goin I ain't

2. More like DaveKaying, with intentions of buying immediately thereafter. :D

Once I know what type of vehicle I want, its easier to go to Dubai and shop. Every dealership you can imagine...Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, Audi, Ferrari, Lexus, GM, Mercedes...all of them, are all in a row, on the same side of the street. Because it is hot as balls, they are all inside huge buildings. It's like the whole dealership is a showroom, and they are all unlocked, with the keys in them.

You don't get hassled. You can just walk in, they will say "Welcome to Porsche, let us know if you need help with anything", and you keep walking. You can play with any of them.

When buying a new luxury car, its going to be in good shape. You don't necessarily have to drive them to make sure it runs good, everything works etc. Hell, the last 5 vehicles I've bought, I had never driven one until I was leaving the lot with mine.

Anyway, once I know what type of vehicle I want, I can stop in Dubai for a couple of days on my way home, and within one afternoon I can play with all of them. See how the ergos are, play with the buttons, see how hard it is to change radio stations on the steering wheel, etc. To do the same thing at home, id spend days driving hours in each direction.

Then once I figure out which one I want, I go home and order one the way I want it built.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Damn that a long way to go to look a vehicles when you have all that right on 19W. ;)

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Good advice no matter where you travel really. You're already going to stand out, no need to draw any more attention than necessary.

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

That was my outlook when we finally arrived at our final destination in Kerala, India. Our guide got on our bus and advised us not to mention anything about Saddam Hussein, it was a few years after he was killed. The guide informed us that Hussein had did some positive things for people in the region and did not take it kindly how he was treated by the US. I saw the world from outside of the US perspective that day.

When I travel outside of the US I never display American cities or other US identifying clothing.

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I think it would be wise to research the use of slave labor in Dubai.

*please dont ban me, it needs to be part of the decision process of whether to go or not*

cha0s#242 likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You're gonna miss the race! Looks like business as usual. https://creventic.com/races/24h-dubai-2020
    (You can watch the whole thing on youtube btw)

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dubai has locked up foreign women for the crime of being raped. So, there’s that.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You know how to not get in legal trouble or die in Dubai?

Don't go to Dubai.

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I thought I'd pass this along as it just happened with one of our field techs at work that was trying to leave Dubai. His flight was booked thru a US based carrier ( I think United) even though he was flying on Lufthansa out. He got to the airport just now and found out his flight was cancelled because no US based carrier tickets are going to be allowed to fly over Iranian airspace. He ended up rebooking his ticket on another non-US based carrier.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, that could be a problem. I've been on Aeroflot, Emirates, Qatar Airways, etc flights that flew right over Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. I always wondered why it was so easy for Americans to be in that airspace.

12. MHRSpeedy

MHRSpeedy Well-Known Member

I’ve already contacted the airline, and they said they’re rerouting flights out of that airspace. Good heads up though, thanks.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Coincidentally the Dubai 24H is currently red flagged. Due to rain. Still surprises me when they get a washout.

14. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

And that in itself is the problem,fuck going anywhere that an aspirin can get you jailed.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was there this exact week a year ago. It felt like one of the safest cities I'd ever been in....cleanest too.

Granted there's the whole Iran thing going on but this is an entirely different country.

16. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Sounds lovely.

17. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Assuming your an American, you have to be fucking insane to go anywhere in the Middle East right now unless you’re in the 82nd AB DIV.

And with your American wife?????

18. Mblashfield

Did you not see the recent news where “another country” shot down a civilian air liner? In the Middle East, by accident?

dude, go to Utah or North Dakota or Yellowstone. pet the bison for a challenge...

19. Mblashfield

You are happily married?
    Forgot to ask.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

problems in the Middle East are regional. You can be happily sipping your coffee in Tel Aviv, while missiles are raining down on Jerusalem 40 miles away. Syria is just over the border. No big deal.

Sweatypants likes this.