1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do YOU make coffee?

Discussion in 'General' started by 1kk8, Jan 8, 2020.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Turks have been drinking it way before Cowboys existed :)

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Now that I think about it, I bet some of those Turks were cowboys. (still, sweeeeeet!)

Phl218 likes this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Go to dungeon and tell them Cowboys are Ottomans and see how far you get with it :D

Phl218 and pickled egg like this.
  4. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I’ll use a French press and then brew cold or hot. Cold is my preference. I have to remember to put the grounds in in the evening and leave it until the morning. Then it’s just pour. Sometimes black, sometimes I’ll just add sugar, sometimes condensed milk, and on weekends baileys. I’m not picky about the grounds.

5. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Brew the espresso over water. Ends up being more like a traditional cup of coffee but tastes better.

I’ll do an afternoon double shot sometimes depending on the amount of water I’ve had that day or if I plan to ride the bicycle when I get home. I get the caffeine boost but then drink 500ml of water for the hydration. A shot of espresso for a morning coffee isn’t my thing.

6. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Since we're so close to the martini thread, Chemex is the coffee maker Bond used. And made in Chicopee, where I was born!

7. Brian_J

Brian_J Active Member

yes! i usually just fill the aeropress to about 90% full. "standardly inprecise" if you will... light roasted locally sourced beans (https://www.benttreecoffee.com/), brataza encore grinder (#12 setting), ro water... i keep thinking about roasting my own but i'm not sure i need another obsessive hobby in my life at the moment!

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

In the interest of precision and communication, I measured the mass of coffee in my process: my "large scoops" amount to 8 grams each (I repeated this measurement 3 times in 3 reps, and each time it came out the same) so 24 g. This got me thinking about the economics of this here endeavor.
    1 pound coffee is $14/lb bought from the local shop. I buy it with with discount cards bought at Costco that yield a 20% discount, so 14 x .8 = 11.20 for ~454 g. A that rate it runs me roughly 60 cents in coffee per cup. Add in some incidentals like power for the countertop kettle, filters, and depreciation on the contraption (30 dollars amortized across 5 years?) and we are probably up to $0.63. Less than I expected. I usually only have one cup a day, but maybe twice a week have 2. My weekly outlay on coffee thus averages about $5.67. Now that I think about it, it is one of the most economical (i.e., least-costly) pleasures in my life. Viva café. :beer:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. sdg

sdg *

my favorite drug

10. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Chew on beans and sip on boiling water.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My pal from Syria makes coffee like that. (Well, his wife does.) It's fantastic.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just takes awhile... had one of those Tody deals and my wife threw it out thinking it was segregated tupperware

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Cup of hot water , Tea bag , and a little wild flower honey , gently squeezed from live free range Bees :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

This sounds eerily familiar to one of my college roommates who moved a QP of bud weeklyo_O
    :crackup:

15. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

I use a chemex every morning. Have a kettle that has a thermometer on it and heat up the water to 205 degrees. Makes better coffee than any cheaper coffee maker could dream of making and uses less grounds. Only adds a couple of minutes to my morning routine. I'll throw the water on the stove while I am getting ready in the bathroom. By the time I'm done the water is just right. If I do over boil it, I'll run some tap water along the kettle to bring the temp down a few degrees.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One main reason for the insulated pot I use, still hot for the boss when she wakes up 2-3 hours after I do without being cooked the entire time.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Peets is by far my favorite of the chains. The Arclight crew got me hooked on it like 25 years ago.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They learned from the Mongols didn't they? :D

19. Brian_J

Brian_J Active Member

i agree with the Peets for the average store bought stuff. i prefer light roasts, which Peets actually has (but not all stores stock it), so i usually go with locally roasted beans.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That kind of figuring is why the K cups have all been put away unless the boss really wants one. I do the beans in a 5 pound bag for ~37 bucks a bag, 2 bags at a time for free shipping and grab it on sale when I can, last order was 66 out the door with tax so 6.60 a pound. Stays in the bag (they have a CO2 release built in) or once the bags are open they go into the 6 Friis cans I have.

I have noticed it gets a touch bitter towards the end of the second bag so may just suck it up and pay shipping for one at a time or go pick it up at the roasters.

Anyway, even cheap K cups are running much closer to a buck a smaller cup. Not remotely worth it.