1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Oil Barons out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jan 7, 2020.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I recently inherited mineral rights to small plot that has recently become productive due to fracking.

Proceeds are being handled by a company that bundled a collection together and cuts a monthly check.

What kind of tax document can I expect from the proceeds?

Is there a particular tax treatment, or is it going to vary from individual to individual?

2. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

Depends how the “company” is setup and what type of “owner” you are.

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Hey uncle Jed, can I come swim in your cement pond and cahort with some of them girls?

motoboy and motion like this.
  4. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Well, the company is a large corporate entity, while I am just me. I’m thinking there’s a 1099 headed my way, but have no idea.

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

not enough to for a cement pond, but it will fund a season of club racing an SV if oil and gas prices don’t take a dump.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That's a win bra!

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hey Rossk6! I just got my ancestry.org results and surprise! You're my dad!

I can pm account info for direct deposit...

Funkm05, Sabre699, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  8. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

In my case more of an also ran, but a couple of grand a year covers most of the expenses, so hopefully no huge tax burden to offset the revenue.

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Set up a proprietorship business that's involved in oil exploration. Sponsor a race team budget and write off the expense equal to the revenue.

Motofun352 likes this.
  10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Should be a 1099 with a 15% depletion allowance

RossK6 likes this.
  11. Don’t do it. Bail immediately.

This fucking fracking is what is causing the price of oil to stay low. Don’t add to the bullshittedness. I need a new bike!