1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utility company jacked up my yard. Who do I go after?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Jan 6, 2020.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I read your shit to a family member who is mid mgmt in a big utility. She's given me advice as well on issues that I'd had. When they say that they can't help you, don't miss a beat, "so ______________ is YOUR boss right, what's his f'n number. Know the structure beforehand if you can. I can send you a sod quote from NC, if needed.:crackup:

USracer900 likes this.
  2. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Good to hear you got paid for the damages. Can you elaborate on ruthless? What measures did you take were the most effective? Also, who paid you, the contractor or utility company? Thanks!

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Interesting. I'll put this in the ol memory bank.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im in a dispute right now with a local utility. Just because its right of way doesnt entitle them to damage it.
    Squeeky wheel and all.

USracer900 likes this.
  5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Hmm, the utilities run ads telling you to have the locate completed before you dig.

You would be able to see the various colored lines from the locate.

Digging without a locate? That puts the liability on the directional driller.

Are they licenced and insured? Get their info from the State and make a claim directly with their insurance. Also, find out who their owner is and send a registered letter to them.

Also, keep the pressure on the utility

Attack on all sides until you get what you want.

If it's a public utility, show up at a board meeting and demand satisfaction

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I first called the utility to get the contact information of the right of way agent. He then connected me with the Environmental Manager from the contractor who I went back and forth with via email and phone. All email communications included a cc to the Right of Way Agent from the utility.
    No fewer than 50 emails. Every phone call was followed up with an email to document the conversation. That includes when he didn’t answer my call. None of the calls were nasty or threatening.
    The utility ultimately paid me.

bleacht and YamahaRick like this.
  7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Fib!

I bet you have your mower out at least twice a week! :D

USracer900 likes this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

would you let the man vent in peace, damn! :rolleyes:

9. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

You might also get your neighbor that had the torn up yard involved, you and they may be duplicating effort and two of you going after the utility/contractor might get more attention. Maybe even cruise the area and see if there are others, which would get the TV station's attention.

10. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

GA water main repair on our front yard is a piss chute as well. At first some 3rd party city hire company put hay and seed over dead cables, old asphalt, old curb rocks, with softball size chunks of clay, 3-5 in over level with rest of yard.

I took a wheel Barrow up there for the major chunks(this was weeks after a solid granite curb was installed)

Days later we have sod applied but lumpy AF. Tv cables partially draped over bushes for months..

I hear ya. No advice except see when the work is done so u can fix it right lol.

USracer900 likes this.
  11. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

If your state has a public service commission you should call them,they oversee these companies,and may be able to help.

Montoya and USracer900 like this.
  12. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

I'm in Kentucky and yes we do have a public service commission. I've been told they are pretty effective at getting results, I had planned on contacting them.

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You could also consult with an attorney. Then keep them as an option to litigate the issue.

USracer900 likes this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

LMAO why do you guys suggest all this time wasting bullshit?

Don't call, don't write, don't give any chances. Sue everyone involved in small claims court for the small claims maximum. Contractor, utility, city, contractor's insurance company, all of them. Suing always gets their attention when they're trying to play games. It's nowmy favorite tool when asking nicely once doesn't work. Don't ask nicely twice.

They want to blame each other for the damage? That's fine, they can figure it out themselves through court order.

It'll cost you some money in filing fees and to serve each defendant, but they will settle. The contractor's insurance company isn't going to spend money fighting some small claims.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  15. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Contact your public service commission and calmly state and document the damages that occurred. They establish the rules that the utility is legally obligated to operate in accordance with. Unresolved complaints with them also reflect poorly on the utility, when they’re seeking rate increases, rule changes, etc. Most utilities will jump through hoops to resolve well documented claims with them that are even remotely justifiable. What happened in your yard, probably happens on a weekly basis. Most utilities that I’ve worked with completely resolve everything, they’re on the hook not the contractors they hired. In some states, they may politically control the commission or it may be neautered as a regulatory agency. Contractors for the utilities and the utilities themselves often have a lot of limited liability, as the commissions do balance their requirements in order to keep rates down, each commission balances this differently.

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You might find some info here: https://kentucky811.org/

USracer900 likes this.
  17. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

If I were you, I wouldn’t mention to anyone that you pressure washed the paint markings off the pavement!

Generally, your property starts at the back of the sidewalk and everything from there outward is likely not your property even though you maintain it. The utility companies do restore the landscape. It just takes them a while and you’ll may need to be persistent calling them and don’t expect much more than a rough grade and throwing down sod.

A threat of suing a utility company for working in the right of way or in an easement isn’t going to do shit to scare a response out of anyone.

burnham likes this.
  18. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

contact your home owners insurance provider with 2-3 quotes for repairs. tell them what happened, LET THEM, GO AFTER THE PAYMENT FOR YOU. the insurance provider will pay you up front, and get's it fixed faster. they will subrogate against all the at fault parties, and wont be out a dime. your results may vary. Ski

JBall likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The work is probably less than his deductible.

20. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Nope, trees shrubs, plants and lawns have specified perils providing coverage, and this isn't any of those
    No coverage, no subrogation