1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House shot at last night; home security suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jan 3, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Next thing you know there'll be middle aged white woman who are strung out on crack driving around looking for Mexican looking kids to run over. Oh wait. :D

ChemGuy likes this.
  2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

To the OP...
    Have you spoke to the police to see what this was about (motive)?
    Have you spoke to the neighbors? Any of them? Including the target residence?
    It won’t be hard to figure out the motive for this shooting. Once you have that you should be able to predict what the odds are that this is going to continue, escalate, deescalate etc.

Every neighborhood is one bad neighbor away from what you are going through.

I’ve seen a very exclusive neighborhood on a golf course turn into a war zone because of one resident.

If your neighborhood is as nice as you believe the police have got to be all over this. Other residents have got to be just as irate and scared. Stay on top of it. Call the Chief, etc.

Ride safe,
    AAron

RRP, G 97 and nd4spd like this.
  3. ton

ton Arf!

how deep ya gotta dig the well? i know that area. spectacularly empty.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Not that far from civilization. And maybe no house shootings, but shitloads of shooting happens out there on a regular basis.

ton likes this.
  5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Ima guessing not into cars and peeps, though.

Is there a square foot in the state that you do not know about? I mean, there was a hint, but damn that was quick.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I really don't know. Some have said two fiddy. There are a lot of places where it just springs out of the ground. Who knows till you try.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, not into cars and peeps. Mostly into paper, garbage and jackrabbits.
    There are definitely bits and pieces of the state I don't know really well, but mostly even more BFE than what you're talking. I thought you were looking at NV though. What got you looking at this spot? I mean, it really isn't near any of the big recreation areas. Close enough to get to them, close enough to a town with a hospital, but pretty damn desolate otherwise. I wouldn't say I know that spot really well, but 257 is a road I've been on plenty, it's used by many skipping the freeway and heading south from the dunes through Delta and into Beaver or even Cedar City. So it was just a matter of looking at Google Maps to say yep, that's where it is.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Wait, did you post some shit about Trump? He's f@ckin' up a lot of people who have yapped off about him the last few days.

brex likes this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

As I had put in the other thread, I'm looking for as far out of the way as is possible without being in Siberia 9 months out of the year. There's much more rec there than you are giving credit, granted it is a kind of rec that takes a certain type of person. I've always felt that NP's are great so as to concentrate the goofy, so that you and I can enjoy some great places without getting stepped on. I think that this area is awesome.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I've long said that the National Park System destroys public lands. The fastest way to have a place overrun with assholes that don't give a shit about the area is to make it a park and advertise. Arches and Zion were completely different 15 years ago. They were part of the system at the time, but hadn't been exploited beyond belief. Canyonlands isn't as bad yet, but the busloads are trying to ruin it. Every time I go to Arches now, there are douchenozzles trampling across the crypto because they want to get a picture. Run into outsiders all the time on our MTB trails that think meddling needs to happen to protect them from others. Would have been nice that they never heard of the trails themselves. Our vacation property is in an area near lots of trails and Zion, tired of "those kind". The OHV areas are a different crowd, much nicer to be around.
    Totally agree that there is plenty to do out there by Milford, but keep it to your damn self. :beer:
    So many neat areas across the state, the southern half has all kinds of wild and varying landscapes. But we keep getting garbage in suits sitting at desks in other states that decide they need the gubmint to come in and "protect it". All that does is ruin everything.

12. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

+1000 on moving. As stated the Nashville housing market is crazy hot. If bullet holes have been repaired and neighbors keep their mouths shut the place will probably sell quickly. If you have access to land to build or options to move your loved one's health is not worth sticking around.

Cameras may work as a deterrent if highly visible.

Not 100% sure but I don't think there is a bulletproof window film (at least one an average person can afford). We just did a bunch of windows at my school but the film only makes the glass shatter-resistant. Rounds will penetrate but glass stays intact.

That may not be the same story I remember but if it is, in the end, the Rangers got in a shit ton of trouble because they eventually got some of their Army weapons from their arms room in order to "return" fire on the druggies. I might be confusing it with a bank robbery Ranger story.

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I'm down. So where is this place? Gunfire aside, that place looks like bumfuck middle of nowhere. My kinda lifestyle. As long as there's a gas station within reasonable distance to fuel up the toys and mail service runs there to deliver ammo, I'm golden.

14. redtailracing

Pretty sure we already know the motive, possibly better than the police do to be honest. I have spoken with the two of the other 3 neighbors that were hit (the third is who seems to have been the obvious target) and we all feel the same way. We've all seen what we thought were drug exchanges going down in the parking lot with the teenagers who live in the targeted house. Questionable looking characters coming around with them. Guessing while playing cowboys and gangsters, these kids pissed someone off.

The question now is what do we do about it. I have reached out to our HOA about their next meeting, stating that I would like to be present to discuss some of the recent safety issues. The HOA president lives just across from me and came outside following the gunshots about the same time as I did so he is well aware. I have also spoken to some friends of mine in local law enforcement about the most effective anti-crime measures we can take as a community. One of them put me in touch with a security consultant who does all kinds of training and consulting for various businesses. I actually met the guy once before at a previous job when he conducted an active shooter training for our office. Going to reach out to him for suggestions, see what it would cost to have him come speak to interested parties about setting up neighborhood watch, etc. and then I'll compile a proposal of solutions to take to the HOA board. According to my neighbor, he also thinks there may even currently be an opening on the HOA and I have also expressed interest in filling a spot on the board when there is one available. In the meantime, a couple other friends in LE suggested flood lamps and requesting extra patrols so I'll put some lamps up this weekend and call to request the extra patrol, today.

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Sometimes you need to take care of things yourself...
    Clint.jpg

Gino230 likes this.
  16. redtailracing

There was a point in time where I would have already done this. Not going to post full details about it here (not sure if the statute of limitations has passed yet lol) but many years ago, I had a friendly conversation with a downstairs neighbor who thought waking me up at 2 a.m. by throwing dishes at his wife and consequently smashing them on the wall was how a man should act. Unfortunately, now I have a wife and kid who could end up suffering the consequences of me pissing off a neighbor.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting in California I'm pretty sure you would have to disclose that.

Also, I like the idea of getting a trailer on your property and start planning your buildout. There have been two instances and maybe it will all be better ASAP, but who knows.

Will the place positive cashflow if you rent it now? If so, and your wife can stomach living in this remote area in a trailer, I would go as quickly as possible.

You get the added benefits of seeing if you like remote area living, plus if this is not a continuing problem, your home value will still increase and you have started your rental empire, although sooner than you planned. Also keeps you from taking the initial hit you mentioned by selling so soon after moving in.

I have a friend south of Nashville that bought his house about a 1 year ago and it went up 10% already, so if yours did too, that should cover all the sales costs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I haven't bought anything yet. Indeed, it is bfe, which means that you pretty much have to take your employment or dollaz with you. It's a 3 year plan for me, to be sold out of this place.

I don't know what you can do in your current situation to truly make things safer for your kids. IMO, that's really what this boils down to. Kudos for taking the above actions. But the one thing that I've taken away from watching hours and hours of ASP on Youtube, is that perps always have the advantage of picking the time and place. The thing about common spaces is that they can legally come within projectile range and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Even if you have to drive a bit to work, I'd look for a spot that gives you a bit of a perimeter rather than the place that has zero buffer.

I'll let you know when my bfe goes on line. Best wishes.

19. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

+10000000

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

@redtailracing I used to be a landlord in a high crime area of Atlanta, and in those years I learned a lot about dealing with situations like yours, on both sides of the equation.

First of all- find out if they own or rent. Should be easy to do- look at the tax assessors' website and it will list an owner's name and address.

If they are renters:
    Most leases usually have some clauses about visitors, and some rules and regulations which are designed to be able to throw people out who are acting up. Loud music, etc. see if you can get a copy of the lease and any rules and regulations from the HOA. Usually these HOA's keep that stuff on file. They may resist giving it to you. If so, start making written requests to the HOA president and showing up at meetings. If they are in violation of any rule, you have a case to make to the landlord to throw them out.

Also, start writing letters to the landlord and sending them certified mail. "Are you aware that your property and your tenants are the victims of a possible gang related shooting?" Ask him some tough questions. He has no obligation to answer, but it will put him on notice that his tenants are creating a dangerous situation. You need to make it uncomfortable for the landlord, if he's on top of his shit, he will throw them out within 2 months. Most landlords are afraid of getting sued so they will take action.

No matter who owns the place, do the following:

Call the police and ask for the district commander. Get his info and tell him you are concerned about the criminal activity in your neighborhood. Get a commitment from him to increase patrols. Ask for the detective that is handling the case (to make sure they actually handed it off to one) and call them. Find out what is being done on THIS CASE.

During these conversations, he may let it slip to you that someone living there is the problem. The cops usually know who the bad dudes are. Believe me, they get just as frustrated that they can't get rid of the bad apples as we do.

Follow up these conversations with emails. You need to create a paper trail. These people hate paper trails, they will take good care to do their jobs if they know there's a paper trail documenting what they knew, when. Also this will help you if for some reason the police commanders aren't responsive. You will be able to go to your city councilman or mayor who will breathe down their neck a bit.

Make some noise within the HOA. Propose that they hire a detail officer for a certain period of time. It's expensive, ($45 an hour here) and that may spur the HOA or neighbors into taking action. Nobody wants their association dues to rise.

Also, the HOA no doubt has rules and regulations. The only way to enforce them is to sue, and many smaller HOAs don't want to do it, because they are small, have a small budget, and don't want to have to have a special assessment to pay lawyers. But by putting some pressure on the HOA to enforce the rules (whatever they may be), you might get the HOA to throw the tenants out, or fine the owners enough to where they move.

Lastly, start calling 911 anytime anything suspicious is going on. Even if it's minor. Most guys like us hesitate to call, we know the cops have enough to do and don't want to bother them, but in this case, it will serve a few purposes. #1 it gets the attention of the police, they will start paying more attention to the building and what's going on around it. It also creates a record that the citizens are concerned about their neighborhood. #2 you are creating a record which will help you get the tenants or owners to move eventually.

I know this sounds like alot of work and not alot of fun. However, you are likely feeling very helpless right now and wound tight. So put that energy to good use and you might get some good results.

Don't be on a hair trigger to move just yet. This is YOUR property, and moving / selling isn't going to happen overnight.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Hope it's a one time incident and you guys live there happily ever after.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.