1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You have ARs that put 10rds thru the same hole at 100yds?
    Okay, then. :cool:
    If not, maybe like Newshooter alluded. A .22LR in a precision chassis.

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I didn’t say I could, I said “practice“.

3. fastfreddie

That's a deterrent to good marksmanship...practicing with inaccurate weapons. How do you know whether your groups are your fault or the weapon's?
    Before anyone jumps me for implying an AR is inaccurate, show me one off-the-shelf AR capable of better than 1.5″ groups. I'm guessin' 2.5″ is more like it. That's not teaching anyone anything but doubt.

Now, if your idea of practice is really just an excuse to go plinkin', then call it what it is - wasting ammo. :D

4. jeremy dunn

This is my off the shelf AR at 100yds, Spikes AR with the Geissele SSA trigger & Vortex Strike Eagle scope

Attached Files:

5. fastfreddie

That's more than one hole. :Poke:
    Just messin' around...that's good shootin'.
    Was taking a stab at your choice in ARs with my previous posts and missed. My apologies.

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. jeremy dunn

Lol no worries, I learned my lesson with my first AR years ago. It was a cheap one with a cheap optic & I was lucky to get 3 inch groups at 100yds lol. I’ve since learned the value of quality components, I was amazed at how just changing the trigger tightened up my groups. I look a shooting like racing, range time will make you better but only if you figure out what you’re doing wrong and correct it instead of just staying out there making laps.

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

Nice analogy.
    Triggers = Suspension?
    Ammo = Tires?
    No one races on Cheng-Shins. Whose ammo do you like for the Spikes?

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. jeremy dunn

Yep exactly!
    Those were shot with Hornady 5.56 55gr. That’s mostly what I run through it.

9. fastfreddie

I gotta find the right ammo for my Colt 6601...haven't shown good results with 55gr.
    1-in-7 twist, I shoulda been using heavier bullets to begin with...thinkin' Federal GoldMedal.
    I went straight to the GoldMedal with the AR10 and it's sub-caliber MOA all day.

jeremy dunn likes this.
  10. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Larue

11. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

How many do you want me to name? The AR has progressed to the point that the good ones can run with bolt guns, or really damn close to them. Look at GAP, Larue, Knights, SCAR 20s, etc . . .

12. fastfreddie

I gotta visit that gunstore. Where is it?

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I shoot with Ben from JP, and his LPR-07 is right up there with lots of bolt guns. Of course its also twice the price....

14. Mille R

I just ordered this one. Can't wait : )

15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Exactly - also JP, Seekins, Wilson Combat, just to name a few. There's also the capability to build them with quality parts (upper receiver barrel fit and stiffness are critical). If anyone doubts this, please come shoot with me and I will demonstrate how an AR can outshoot many bolt guns. The 1.5" group being out of reach is hilarious...try a lot smaller than that.

Mille R likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

Aaaand these guns are all off-the-shelf?
    I say again, where's this store, I gotta go!

17. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Online store doesn’t work for you? Buy a upper from larue. Slap it on your lower. Done.

I think your argument is moot. Plenty of AR’s shoot sub minute.

18. Mille R

19. Mille R

Some people just can't admit when they are wrong . . . that never happens on this site : )

wsmc 589 likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

Um, online ain't off-the-shelf...save your breath.