1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I was just about to recommend the hog saddle stuff too. Pricey, but kind of a buy once-cry once type deal.

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/carbon-fiber

^ This is pricey. ^
    Hog Saddle is budget, but it's that sweet spot of point of diminishing returns. You don't want less quality and it's hard to find a better bang for your buck. :beer:

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Patriot Valley also imported some nicer carbon fiber tripods this past year. As with all things PVA, if you have any interest in it, call them and ask availability. They tend to be notorious for putting things on there and taking a while to deliver. Also notice that the $250 listed is the deposit, the carbon fiber tripod is $500 and you need the head to go with it (another $129 from them).

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/comp-40-tripod/

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

FYI I gave up on the John Hancock rifle after a year of waiting, and instead decided to build just what I want. I used my deposit money and got a PVA 6.5CM barrel- 26" cut rifled Rock Creek, cerakoted black, marksman contour. Also ordered an MDT ACC folding chassis and grip that should be here just after Christmas. Last thing was the Nucleus action- found a good price on a lightly used one w/ a 308 barrel that was chambered and put together by LRI and cerakoted gray. Unfortunately USPS has been a cluster and I'm not sure it's actually going to get here. So far it's been a week (from NC to GA) and it supposedly just arrived in ATL, I'm hoping it shows as "out for delivery" tomorrow to my FFL, but I have a strange feeling it's "lost in transit" as there was no info for 4 or 5 days, and now it's just a generic "arrived at local warehouse and headed to destination".

Last thing I need is a trigger. Evidently the Nucleus is a bit trigger sensitive, and I want a 2 stage, so will probably get a Bix N Andy at the SHOT show. Then I just need to get the thing out and shoot it!

and merry Christmas to me, my two cans just got out of jail and I got my stamps last week. :) Ruger 77/22 w/ SBX barrel, Dead Air Mask and CCI 22 quiets are giggle quiet. Haven't shot the Ghost yet.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

The light strike issues early on were getting blamed on triggers, primers, and a weak firing spring. My Nucleus is over 1,000 rounds in with no issues running the Timney Calvin Elite 2-stage. Just FYI for you, keep the firing pin dry (no oil) and you shouldn't have light strike problems. Once people started doing this, they quit having problems, I think some people stuck with the heavier spring just in case but a dry pin seems to be the trick.

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

ONe thing about Vortex scopes. Make sure to mount them at the correct torque. Over torqueing them can screw them up.

8. Scotty87

how long did you wait from ‘check cashed’ to approved? I’d like to get a can for the lr308 I’m building for deer hunting, but I wonder if it would be here in time (late Nov 2020).

9. Scotty87

Dang.

I thought $300+ just for the mount was high.

10. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’ve used the really right stuff quite a bit. One school I attended I must of fired over 500 rounds using one. It’s an incredible piece of kit. I was running my larue .260 with a nightforce 5-25. Not a light gun, never had an issue.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

362 days. check cashed Dec 12th, 2018, form 4 approved Dec 9th, 2019. :dead:

I did a form 4 trust, but I know some people have had much shorter wait times if you do a form 4 individual (4-6 months). There is some hope that the process is being streamlined and the wait times will come down. Now that I have two, I will order a 30 cal can soon (dead air nomad more than likely) and might even try a form 1 (make it yourself) 22 can as the technology is much more simple, plus the wait times for Form 1's are around 30 days. Plenty of companies making kits to help you make one yourself. Google "form 1 suppressor kits" and there's lots of info. If it would be a dedicated can for a specific rifle that could be an option.

12. Scotty87

Nomad is what I want, no one seems to have them in stock though.

form 1 is an interesting option. I own a lathe and TIG weld frequently so I think I could handle it. Hmm

13. Form 1 is a much easier option.

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

check out some of the "kits". Basically everything you need except the jig and a drill press once you get the form 1 back from the govt. Drill your holes and you are ready to go. QuietBore is a well known outfit but there are others.

15. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I just picked this one up over the holiday, it was an impulse buy because I was wanting to get into long range shooting. It’s a great gun but the longest range I have access to is 150yds so I’m probably going to sell it & get another AR.

Attached Files:

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why not use it to improve your marksmanship? Using 10rds to make one hole in the paper would be an accomplishment worthy of braggin' rights.

jeremy dunn likes this.
  17. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m converting an M2 carbine right now. M1 carbine is a great little 100 yard shooter. In full auto she’s gonna be a blast at 100 yards :D

18. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I agree but with the ranges I have access to, I can practice that with my AR’s without it costing me close to $1 per round.

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

150 yards my .22 LR is probably more accurate. :)

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

My xmas present for the year. Savage 10BA Stealth in .308 with Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24X50.

savage10bavortexsml.jpg