1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Craftsman still good?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Huh. I didn't know they made hand tools. I've used their rigging/climbing equipment for decades. Best on the planet. No question.

2. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

And I didnt know they made climbing equipment since I'm not a lineman/electrician. Learn some thing new everyday. I have a pair of wire strippers that are 12 years old and used 2 to 3 times a week. I replaced them and relegated them to back up duty but I know they can be sharpened and perform like brand new again and my tools go from -25 degree storage boxes to 110 degree rooftops

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got alot of older Craftsman stuff, started buying tools when I was 16 and they were kind of the only game in town that offered a warranty other than Snap On. All the Sears around are now gone so I started replacing random stuff with Kobalt, seems decent. Now Lowes is handling Craftsman and they will warranty their hand tools, I asked.
    I did buy a Wera tool a few months ago. Needed a new 3/8 ratchet so I bought a Wera brand off Amazon, long handle. So far I like it.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

The Wera stuff is pretty nice across the board, though the rotating ratchet is known to have a limited service life. The slim metal ratchets are supposedly solid.

5. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I was given a set of LINK ratchets and sockets. 1/4 drive all the way up to 1/2 in drive. So far I have been very impressed with these. I like the positive lock on the sockets and extensions.

6. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

I've been picking up some Wera tools in the last year when there was a sale. The are much cheaper to order from Germany/Europe vs distributors here.

It is a bit sad to hear about limited life on the rotating ones, they are neat but I find difficult getting good grip when switching directions.

I do really like my metal ones, though. The direction lever is very positive, good leverage, and feel good in the hand.

7. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

I recommend taking a look at Tekton. Mostly Taiwanese but some American made stuff as well. Lifetime warranty, and we haven't had a problem with replacements.

I work in light manufacturing, we would never invest in something like snap on as we equip each work station - the tools don't "belong" to each technician. As you can imagine plenty of tools walk away. Tekton seems to strike the right balance for price, quality, and availability for us.

We don't use their screwdrivers so I can't speak to those

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

gapman789 likes this.
  8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Carbs from the 80s had much larger jets then the carbs today. Emissions reps on small engines have them running super lean. That is one of the reasons that carb issues are the number one thing seen at small engine shops now.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Or what tool is working the tool.

R Acree likes this.
  10. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

My brother owns and operates an auto repair shop and must have a pretty good relationship with his Snap-On dealer. I came across a dead-blow in an old toolbox that must be more than 35 y/o and was really starting to decompose. I gave it to my brother and it got replaced, no questions asked.:) IMG_1881.JPG C8C6DDDB.jpeg

11. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Sometimes they replace the broken tool with used or refurbished tools rather than new off the shelf. Also, all of the Sears near me have gone out of business.

I have Craftsman tools that were given to me when I was a kid that I still use everyday. I don't buy them anymore though. I either buy cheap HF stuff or one of the professional brands, depending on what it is and what I'm using it for.

Edit: I didn't know Lowes was handling Craftsman warranty claims now. Good to know.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I only had one experience replacing tools, was a security torx socket, they didnt have a single socket on the shelf so they replaced my entire set. I was pretty happy with it. Refurbs could be a crap shoot.

13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Last one I did was a 3/8 ratchet, one I'd had for at least 20 years. The clerk pulled out a bin of loose tools from under the counter and picked out one that was closest to my broken one. It was obviously not brand new, clerk said refurb. This was at a Sears Appliance b and Tool store that has since closed.

A whole new set sounds like a great deal. As you said, you take your chances. Still, something that works is better than a tool that doesn't.

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Last one I did was a 3/8 ratchet, one I'd had for at least 20 years. The clerk pulled out a bin of loose tools from under the counter and picked out one that was closest to my broken one. It was obviously not brand new, clerk said refurb. This was at a Sears Appliance and Tool store that has since closed.

A whole new set sounds like a great deal. As you said, you take your chances. Still, something that works is better than a tool that doesn't.

15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ahh thats too bad, I wouldnt be happy about it either.

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Don't bother with the craftsman electric tools. I need an electric drill and bought a Craftsman cause it was in the store closest to the house. The thing is crap...

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FYI, NAPA is carrying Craftsman now, and will honor the warranty if they have the replacement on the shelf.

18. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I've replaced a few broken sockets over the years, but the last time I was at Sears about 3 years ago I took in 3 ratchets - 2 3/8" and a 1/2". They had repair kits right at the checkout. The guy pulled the guts out of all 3, gave them a quick and messy shot of WD40, and handed them back to me in less than 10 minutes. I'm not sure how Lowes, etc will carry out warranty now that Sears is gone.

19. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Stanley Black & Decker bought Craftsman from Sears.

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

About 20 years ago, I tried several sets of Kobalt. Didn't know they were Snap On made stuff, but were much cheaper in the Lowes stores. They were much higher quality than the Craftsman they replaced, even then. That original Kobalt deal didn't last long. I wish that I'd loaded up on them back then, worth every penny.

I won't buy Craftsman from Lowes. I only buy HF for our shop at work because it is less painful when the jerks lose them.

Bloodhound likes this.