1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on house or pole barn house

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Dec 29, 2019.

1. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I built a 40x64 pole building workshop, put a layer of reflective bubble insulation between poles to seal it, 4" thick 4'x8' polycyanoacrylate foam blocks next, then drywall. The walls are about R-30. The ceiling is 13' high, closed off with the same sheet metal as the roof, then 12" of blown-in insulation, about R-30. The attic is well ventilated, but cut off from the working area, so no issue with condensation. The ceiling insulation cuts the rain noise to almost nothing. I would have liked to use spray foam in the walls, but the cost would have been $7000 more than what we used as we bought used 4" foam blocks. Overall, the heating and cooling is very cheap compared to my house, which is smaller.

michaelrc51 likes this.
  2. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

Most of the time they will still fur out the sheet metal roof on top of plywood. I'm not 100% sure why but I've seen 2 done and the Amish both did this.

He wasn't heating an open space, it was a finished room with a sheetrock ceiling along the bottom of the truss. We thought it was really strange....

3. michaelrc51

My buddy just made an office in part of the garage. Pretty simple 2x4 walls with R-16 and then R-30 above it, and a laminate floor with the norm insulationundxr it. Just walking from the garage into the finished space is noticeably warmer, without a heater on in the finished space. I was actually surprised. Heat the space to 70* and it stays warm over night.

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I wanted the metal roof laying right on top of the plywood with no gaps under, is so I can lay a small mattress up there and blast at Coyotes with the 308 Valmet M78 / 83 S rifle with night vision .... I’ve got priorities...:D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    michaelrc51 likes this.
  5. michaelrc51

Yeah, with radiant only reaching up to about 125* it leaves a lot of options on what to use to heat it. They do also use boilers but they're not the conventional ones I believe you are thinking of.

Hopefully I have the coin to do everything right.

That's the only issue with building a shop as I see it. We are all motörhead's so we want the biggest building we can fit/ afford, which is awesome. But, when it comes time to do the other stuff, like electrical, air lines, lighting, plumbing, insulation.......the costs almost multiply the larger you go. And the cost of wire and everything else is getting pretty ludicrous.

Y buddy just spent $1k insulating a 12'x20' room!

Oh well, you gotta pay to play......I guess.....

6. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Wonder if he was doing a version of a cold roof.

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Get gas powered welder :)
    Or solar + generator

nd4spd likes this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I could get a big ass back up genny. I have all the expensive (to me) welders that I'm ever going to buy.

9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If you can do things yourself you can save a lot of money. I just finished 50x36. Did all electric myself, subpanel, outlets everywhere, 110/220/couple 50a for welder, 24 LED fixtures (got linked ones so only needed 3 outlets to plug in), insulation in walls, sheetrock and paint. Left ceiling open. Think I spent around $3500-4k in material.
    Advantage I had is I decided to go attached instead free standing and I already had 100A in old garage so I picked power from there.
    I am not heating it either, it is just to park cars and toys. I work in old garage which is heated. Got vinyl strips to close old from new one and it works good.
    My biggest expense was getting slab done. Spent over 30K to get to the pint I can stand walls.

jrsamples likes this.
  10. michaelrc51

We did everything but the structure ourselves. Building materials have just gotten extremely expensive. He used chip board and lathe to do the walls and it’s still pricey. Used 1/2” sanded plywood in office, was like $30+ a sheet!

I’ll take a few pics of his setup tomorrow. I was just pointing out that the larger you go, the more all of the other stuff costs.

Happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

It's a never-ending list.
    Electrical outlets every 8' on 20 amp circuits, outlets for garage door openers, ceiling fans, welder, compressor, lights. 3-way light switches for lights away from the main working areas, especially on a large building. Wiring for garage door opener buttons. Compressed air piped to multiple locations, especially the lift. Floor drains; you don't want to have to sweep water all the way to the front to clean the floor or wash a motorcycle in the winter. If feasible, water with sink and drain to clean up yourself and parts, on a hydrant to keep from freezing if you don't heat it always. Mine is wired for a water heater. Windows, preferable double pane for insulation. Metal buildings kill cell phone and WI-FI signals, so consider what you require.