1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on the Phoenix area

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The gun laws thing is huge. It’s like CA except hot as fuck and without the retardation.

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Been several times and enjoyed each stay. Would def consider spending time there.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

A friend of mine is a cop there. Moved to AZ to follow a chick years ago. Ditched the gal, but stayed. He loves it.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had a bunch of brand new 5 BDR rental homes in Litchfield Park (west suburb of Phoenix) about 14 years ago. They were vacant and the locals loved doing things like shooting out all the windows, turning on the tubs, showers and faucets, doing drugs in them, etc. Cost me probably $200K out of pocket for all the damage. Couldn't wait to unload those things. I started taking my .38 with me when I drove out to check on them. I'm not really a fan of Phoenix. Its hot too. Like 110 degrees at 2 AM. Other than that, I'm sure its a nice place :)

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

The wife and I will be spending a month in that area next winter. Will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Come race CVMA! I moved to this hell on earth 11 years ago and love the winters, Your first summer you'll question your decision. Housing has gone through the roof! It used to be a solid red sate but things are changing.

Senna likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Spent April, May and June there in '00.
    Start hydrating before you go. Expect to drink twice as much water when you get there.
    I did quite a bit of MX and desert riding. Did a couple races at Firebird.
    Took the YZ426 and/or the Cherokee to the trails north of the reservoir regularly.
    Rented a Harley once and did a loop through Wickenburg to Prescott and back. I recommend you do it on a bike with brakes...:eek:
    It got seriously hot...Yzass could feel her skin sizzlin' like bacon one day when I was doing a desert race. Thirty minutes into the race, they cancelled it. It was 114°.
    Going back permanently is an option we've considered.

Senna likes this.
  8. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Arizona in general is a fantastic state to live in.
    Kids?
    What's your wife's work background?
    Any particular area in Phoenix your work is in?

I've been here since 00 when I left the NYC area. I love it here. As others have stated there are obviously bad areas to avoid but those are easy to stay away from.
    PKRA is the supermoto track on the north end of Phoenix, Musselman is down near Tucson. Between Chuckwalla, Arizona Motorsports Park, Vegas Motorsports, etc. You can probably find a race or trackday every weekend 10 months out of the year within a few hours drive. Although I still have my supermoto and race bikes I haven't been able to race in quite a while. I do a ton of MT biking, hiking, off roading in the jeep out here.
    Send a PM if you have any further questions.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I like it....its one of a few places around the US that I would consider moving to. I love the heat and hate winters, so there is that. Plenty of golf courses and stuff to do outdoors year round. Good amount of night life options in the Old Town Scottsdale area.

Senna likes this.
  10. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

How slow do you drive? I've made to Arroyo in just over 4 hours from the northwest end of the valley.

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I left Phoenix for San Diego and then came to Denver. I'm actively trying to go back. I stayed in West Mesa near Tempe. I loved it out there. East Mesa is a bit nicer. I'd suggest places like Chandler or Gilbert as far as great places to live with little downside. Those are considered the good areas all around.

Senna likes this.
  12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

He's not moving to the middle east.

Housing costs are absurd IMO.
    No racing in town, you have to go out of state to NM or CA.
    Traffic is bad bad. You'll wanna motorcycle everywhere you go to use HOV lane and filter thru stuff.
    Motorcycling in the summer means bring a spare shirt to change into so you can be dry when you get somewhere.
    Laws are some of the best in the country. We love freedom. And GUNS.
    Don't forget your gonna need jetskis. And boat. A big one. To survive summer.

Scottsdale is the rich person area. Same with cave creek and paradise valley. East valley is overall the much better choice for living except for apache junction and queen creek. West valley is gross.

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people that loves hot weather so I enjoyed the shit out of Phoenix. I've visited Arizona multiple times and traveled to about every place you can and it's the state I would move to. Probably not Phoenix, simply because when I move it will be to retire and Page is more my speed. I'm always hearing people bitching about the heat, but I'll take a 115 degree Arizona over a 93 Louisville day anytime.

Senna likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Answered some of your questions above. Finding some level of track/race event 10 months out of the year is awesome, and I definitely want to give supermoto a shot.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Rental homes/apartments are a nightmare anywhere, I find. One of the places we stayed in Des Moines had some serious domestic violence/drug issues in the neighboring apartment. Actually, that was one of the reasons I first bought a gun as they would have these massive violent parties that would spill into the common area, and our door wasn't exactly sturdy.

We then moved to a nicer apartment area. Overall, positive experience but one night at about 11:45 p.m. I heard distinct 9mm gunfire in our building. Two quick shots. Grabbed my gun from the nighstand and crouched under the bed with the wife and dog while we called the cops. Fun times.

18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Good choice of not having kids, too many people on the planet already and they are a financial and time drain..
    If I was in my late 20's and married with a combined income of 100k+ I'd look into the Scottsdale area. A lot of fun to be had and close enough to everything. The Gilbert and Chandler areas are great if you have kids.

The lakes out here a ton of fun as well, paddle boarding, kayaking, tubing, wake boarding, fishing etc.
    Tons of car culture stuff as well.
    Storing a trailer or boat can suck if you're in a HOA community.
    I can MT bike or hike 356 days a year out here on non crowded trails.

19. cbb

cbb New Member

All of the above plus Davie Stone!

trussdude likes this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The other 9 days of the year too hot, or are those the rainy days?

Boman Forklift likes this.